Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitar thread

Guitar thread

I know there's a few guitar & bass guitar players here.

So, what do you play, rig do you favor, and ect?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Name:  4407A488-05FF-4E7F-BB7B-21DEFD6026C7.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  28.4 KB

Mostly acoustic these days, haven’t played out in a long time. COVID has even kept me from doing studio gigs. Various styles, but I like a lot of folk and Celtic stuff. Not too picky, though.

Martin D35 is my main guitar, and I play it mostly in standard and drop D. I have a Takamine GS330 I keep in open D.

I gave my son my bass, Strat and electric amp b/c he’s a guitar major and needs it for his modern/pop/boy band and also his jazz combo class at school, so the only amp I have is a Genz-Benz Shenandoah 2 channel acoustic, which is actually perfect for my guitars and solo playing out. He’s got the Taylor 314, as well. I made him buy that one from me, but kept all the money in a dedicated savings account and every time he called and asked me for money that year, it came out of that savings account. LOL. We both really like Taylors, but ever since I got the D35, I haven’t wanted to play most other acoustics.

Really want a looper.

I’m plotting getting the electric I’ve always wanted, though: a Les Paul. And maybe another Blues Jr if I find the money, but it may be a Champion or some other more affordable combo amp.

May wait a while, but on the other hand, I still haven’t spent any stimulus money, and there are a couple of Epiphone LP Pros at a local shop calling my name.

Mostly bass, but my playing has been on hiatus for over a year. Plus I haven’t played out in over five years. We generally played alt and power pop covers, a bunch of old guys reliving the 80s and 90s. I’m hoping I can find people to play with (phrasing) in NH.

I’m almost 100% five string, I have too much gear but if I had to pick one it would be one of my P5s and a G-K rig (MB500 and a Neo 4x10.)

I dink on guitar, too - both electric and acoustic. My wasted opportunity during Covid was not getting more proficient with acoustic guitar, and especially slide since I picked up a single cone reso for that purpose too long ago.

Lots of very nice equipment, very little talent.

Prepping to move, pardon the electric blue walls that my former stepdaughter picked:

Name:  E70DED2C-4023-4912-8290-82DA7B2DE8A9.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  50.9 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    I haven’t played seriously in over 25 years.

Getting back into the swing in the past 3 weeks.

I have a fender acoustic that I’ve been practicing with.

I also have an old Strat heavily customized for shredding.

Just ordered a crap ton of equipment:

New acoustic ( Dean grand concert type) with plek fretboard work.
    Kirk Hammett esp with custom work on fretboard and tremolo system
    Small fender mustang practice amp
    Randall 4x12 cabinet and amp
    Dozen sets of dean markley strings for acoustics and electrics
    Cables
    Pics
    Metronome and tuner
    Dozen guitar tab books
    Guitar tab app for phone

This would have been my yearly shooting budget between ammo and hardware.

I’ve only spent $100 on recoil springs for my Springer 1911s.

Cool thread! I’ll play

I played heavily in high school and early college, mostly rock and blues. Work and kids put it on the back burner for a couple of decades. My wife sings and plays keys, and we’ve started to get back into playing in the last year or so. We’ve even been doing a bit of writing and recording, which has been a lot of fun. It blows my mind what kind of quality recording equipment is available at a pretty reasonable costs these days. I worked in a professional studio in high school (well, really just bummed around and tried to learn whatever the main guy was willing to teach me), and I can do darn near everything at home now that we could do in the studio back in the mid-1990s. I'm using an SSL 2+ audio interface and Studio One 5 for a DAW. Add a couple of decent condenser mics for vocals and acoustic instruments and a dynamic mic or two for recording electric (or just use the amp sims in your DAW of choice), and you're pretty well set. It's quite a bit better than the old TASCAM 4-track I had in high school!

I have a few electrics. The two I use the most are an Epiphone Les Paul Elite and Peavy HP Special (the Van Halen guitar after he stopped working with them). I run both through a Peavy JSX head and cab. It’s the Joe Satriani signature 120-watt tube head with a 4x12 cab. It’s unbelievably loud. I bought it off my brother in law when he upgraded to a Marshall JCM head and 4x12 cab. I also use a Boss multi-effects pedal (ME-80), though I really only use it for delay, reverb, and the tuner (or to play through headphones if the kids are asleep).

Name:  20180112_172344.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  66.2 KB

I also have a couple of acoustics, though I only really play one: A six string Sigma that I picked up from my boss a few years back. It was setup by someone (supposedly) famous who specialized in working over Sigmas, but I can’t recall the name at the moment. It’s signed on the back of the guitar and I’ll have to look when I get home. It’s a really decent sounding and playing guitar for the cost, though acoustic is not my focus.

Name:  PXL_20201222_172947519.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  49.7 KB

My daughter is a bit older now, and she still doesn't have any interesting learning guitar. She just likes to try and look cool with them. She is learning a bit of piano, as least.

Name:  20190624_175955.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  73.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    Cool thread! I’ll play

I played heavily in high school and early college, mostly rock and blues. Work and kids put it on the back burner for a couple of decades. My wife sings and plays keys, and we’ve started to get back into playing in the last year or so. We’ve even been doing a bit of writing and recording, which has been a lot of fun. It blows my mind what kind of quality recording equipment is available at a pretty reasonable costs these days. I worked in a professional studio in high school (well, really just bummed around and tried to learn whatever the main guy was willing to teach me), and I can do darn near everything at home now that we could do in the studio back in the mid-1990s. I'm using an SSL 2+ audio interface and Studio One 5 for a DAW. Add a couple of decent condenser mics for vocals and acoustic instruments and a dynamic mic or two for recording electric (or just use the amp sims in your DAW of choice), and you're pretty well set. It's quite a bit better than the old TASCAM 4-track I had in high school!

I have a few electrics. The two I use the most are an Epiphone Les Paul Elite and Peavy HP Special (the Van Halen guitar after he stopped working with them). I run both through a Peavy JSX head and cab. It’s the Joe Satriani signature 120-watt tube head with a 4x12 cab. It’s unbelievably loud. I bought it off my brother in law when he upgraded to a Marshall JCM head and 4x12 cab. I also use a Boss multi-effects pedal (ME-80), though I really only use it for delay, reverb, and the tuner (or to play through headphones if the kids are asleep).

Name:  20180112_172344.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  66.2 KB

I also have a couple of acoustics, though I only really play one: A six string Sigma that I picked up from my boss a few years back. It was setup by someone (supposedly) famous who specialized in working over Sigmas, but I can’t recall the name at the moment. It’s signed on the back of the guitar and I’ll have to look when I get home. It’s a really decent sounding and playing guitar for the cost, though acoustic is not my focus.

Name:  PXL_20201222_172947519.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  49.7 KB

My daughter is a bit older now, and she still doesn't have any interesting learning guitar. She just likes to try and look cool with them. She is learning a bit of piano, as least.

Name:  20190624_175955.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  73.0 KB
    How do you like your Epiphone?

Absolutely love it. I almost sold it quite a few times when the kids were younger, and I’m glad I didn’t. It would be difficult to replace now, and I’ve only handled a few Gibsons that I thought played and sounded as well as this one. They quit making the Elite series not long after starting.

Site Supporter
    I haven't played in years because of tinnitus and hearing loss, but I played the following:

Fender Mustang (my first electric)
    Peavey T-60 (quite a good guitar and I regretted selling it)
    Ibanez Roadstar
    Gibson Les Paul with P90s -- this was an old Gold Top pawn shop rescue.
    Gibson ES-330 P90s as well, and this was a favorite.

Alvarez and Ovation acoustic guitars.

I was playing mostly heavy rock with a lot of gain when I had the T-60 with its humbuckers. But I gradually shifted toward more of a blues rock sound without a ton of gain, and the Gibsons with the P90s were great for that.
    Last edited by Robinson; 02-10-2021 at 11:59 PM.

I'm a bit of a gear nerd.

For the most part, I stick to 4 string basses. Since building bass guitars is one of my main hobbies, I do have quite a few both in PNG and the USA. Most are a bit odd in some way. Personally, I find the "normal" Fender style bass guitar, to be kind of bland, appearance wise. I love how they sound, but I do like a little visual flair.
    Most of my basses are either neck through, or set necks. About half have EMG pickups, the rest are passive, and two have pickups I've wound (a time consuming effort with a hand drill).
    String wise, my long scale basses get roundwounds, and the short scale guys get heavy tapewound flats- excepting a couple of longscale basses with the heavy flats. I do like having a mix of tones available.

I also like to rotate what I play onstage on a regular basis, and change up the signal chain & playing style each time. Since I normally play in church services, I'm usually only amusing myself, as it's tradition for bass guitar to be turned waaay down in the mix.

As for amps, I've homebrewed a 20w mix of Sunn 100s preamp & Marshall 18w power amp that uses 1 12AX7, 1 12AT7, and 2 EL84's, usually in a fliptop speaker chassis. For when I don't get to bring the amp onstage, I've got a few "amp in a box" pedals to add some flavor to the signal, and none are the normal Sansamp type.

Style wise, I'll use either a pick or fingers, depending on the song. And while it's rare, I love the few times I can go full Chris Squire with a pick. Otherwise, I'm really not a slap & pop person.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Well, I didn’t buy a guitar today. I looked at a pair of used Epiphone Les Pauls - a Custom Prophecy Plus, and a Standard Pro. One of them had some serious neck damage that had been repaired and painted over. The other needed some fret work. Since the shop wouldn’t work on the price, I just played them and left.

User Tag List