Thread: Tavor X95, SAR, Bullpup Level 1 Class

Tavor X95, SAR, Bullpup Level 1 Class

Tavor Level 1. Jan 30-31, 2021
    Company: Tactical Fitness Austin.
    Instructor: Ron Grobman. (Bio: TACTICAL FITNESS - About Us | Tactical Fitness (tacticalfitnessaustin.com))
    Cost: $500
    Students: 8

Disclosure: I paid full tuition and have no financial conflicts of interest with the instructor or IWI.
    Bottom Line: This course was one of the better rifle classes I have attended, bullpup or not. I would highly recommend Ron as an instructor for the Tavor IWI X95.

Intro: I have many AR pattern rifles and AR-pistols. I have only one bullpup, the IWI X95. By far, it is the most ergonomic of my rifles. With its 16-inch barrel and compact design, it is STILL shorter in length than my 10.3-inch AR-pistol. This is my first official training class focused on bullpups. If you are interested trying the X95 bullpup but do not have one, then this class is for you. You can sign up and try a loaner from Ron without charge. Three students used a loaner X95.

I am a civilian with no military or LE experience. I have been shooting for eight years now. The majority of my firearm classes have been pistol-centric. This is my ninth rifle class but the first focused on bullpups.

Class Requirements:
    1. 1000 rounds of 5.56/223 (I shot about 700 rds).
    2. Tavor SAR or X95 with sling.
    3. Mag carrier carrying at least 2 spare magazines.

Student Composition: There were eight students, one female and seven males. Two were relative beginners.

My Gear: X95 with OSS suppressor, Ferro concepts Slickster sling. Eotech XPS-2 with G33 magnifier. IC3 IVRT bandoleer. Normally, I wear a battle belt for rifle classes but decided to use the bandoleer for these reasons:
    1. I usually carry AIWB pistol and so if I am fortunate enough to get to my rifle, then I will not be able to don a battle belt because of the AIWB. Therefore, I need to put on something fast that will feed my rifle. My battle belt takes too long to secure if I am already carrying AIWB. I would have to remove my AIWB holster, tighten my pants, position the belt holster, then wrap the belt around, then secure the thigh strap, then re-holster the pistol, etc. With the bandoleer, I just keep my AIWB, sling the bandoleer over my neck and shoulders and clip one loop, that’s it.
    2. The bandoleer has all the essentials: two rifle mags, one pistol mag (can configure for two pistol mags), one IFAK, one TQ.

Day One
    We started at 8 AM and orientation was kept short with the usual review of safety, medical plans, and personal introductions. For most of the morning, we reviewed the manual of arms for the X95, learned disassembly/assembly, maintenance, points of lubrication (do not oil the pistol rod, the bolt lugs, or the chamber on the Tavor) and adjusting the iron sights that comes integrated with the rifle. I have watched a number of YouTube videos on the X95’s assembly/disassembly but Ron showed us some pearls that made it much easier. Sling placement on the bullpup, dryfire, and reloads were next and we broke for lunch. Although the topics were mundane, I gleaned some valuable information given that the bullpup configuration is so unique.

After lunch, we zeroed our X95s for 100-yards, starting at the 25-yard line. Zeroes were confirmed at 100-yards. I liked that we were taught and encouraged to take our time finding our natural point of aim, being relaxed, observing our breathing, and controlling our trigger press. Mechanics covered included stance, ready up drills, low ready, high ready, positional shooting (standing, keeling (left knee, right knee, supported, unsupported), prone), single hand, administrative and emergency reloads, recoil control, cadence. I found the kneeling positions with the bullpup much more supportive than my ARs. Malfunction drills were cleared in the same process as an AR, but the way you held the X95 and its charging handle is very different. Learning these subtleties was worth the class entry fee.

As far as suppressing the X95, Ron recommends either the OSS suppressor or the CGS Helios and between the two, Ron favors the OSS. We ended around 1630 with 268 rounds shot for day one.

DAY TWO
    Dynamic was the word for day two. The day started with a reminder on safety and medical briefing. Using the fundamentals from yesterday, we transitioned from one position to another firing single, then multiple rounds. Running into positions, pivoting, and multiple target transitions were all practiced. We shot prone at 100-yds for example, then ran to 75-yds and shot kneeling, then ran to 50-yds and shot standing, then ran back up range and pivoted to shoot downrange, etc. Shooting steel was always done at 50-yds. We partnered up frequently with transition and malfunction drills. For example, we all switched rifles with our partner who set up a malfunction. Walking back 10 yards, we then had to run up to our rifles, pick it up and try to shoot, diagnose the malfunction and clear it. The day ended with competition drills and a Tavor Level 1 qualification exercise. Day two ended at 1300 and we skipped lunch. Round count for day 2 was about 400.

After the class ended, Ron offered to run the Tavor Level 2 qualification test for any students wanting to stay. Another student and I seized this opportunity and ran it. Level 2 qual was definitely harder. We started the Qual from 100-yds and went all the way to 10-yard line. Three mags of 20 rounds each, and a loaded pistol was required for this test.

Class Strengths
    1. Great introduction to the X95 bullpup platform. The manual of arms instruction, was especially helpful to my pleasant surprise.
    2. Ron as a teacher:
    a. Watchful: He observed everyone very closely and gave us all individual attention.
    b. Walks the Talk: Every exercise was demonstrated and explained well so that everyone knew what to do. He was relaxed but appropriately firm when needed.
    c. Direct: There was not any unnecessary chatter or war stories. Ron was to the point with good rationales and clarifications.
    d. Considerate. There was one person who was a novice and he was very patient. There was no belittling but a lot of encouragement. He also brought gloves and D-wipes, and water bottles for the students, which was very thoughtful. Ron had spare empty magazines and carriers and tools that students could borrow for the course. This is a class act, which I have not seen before from any instructor. He was also flexible on round expenditure, allowing us to shoot less on many of the drills to conserve ammo.
    3. Free loaners of X95. This is a great way for someone to try the rifle before purchasing it. I have never been to a class where this was offered.
    4. Exercise: There was a lot of shooting in up down positions, running into position, moving from cone to cone, pivoting, and physicality to the class, especially day two. Most level 1 classes do not have students physically challenge themselves, but they should. It is good to increase your heart rate, go into standing or kneeling, and shoot accurately from 50-yds. Ron was able to incorporate and teach movements safely, even with several of the students being relatively inexperienced.
    5. Targets & Accuracy: Ron had us change targets frequently, so that we can be accountable for our hits. Also, he used targets that had center mass and brain boxes grayed out so that from 25-yds or farther, you could not see your holes and use them for reference. I like that. He also mixed paper targets with steel and the latter was done at a safe distance (50-yds or further).
    6. Qualifications: The final exercise was to demonstrate all the fundamentals in a qualification course. He was flexible with time but scored for accuracy. I think all firearm classes should have some metrics.
    7. Competition: this speaks for itself and is always fun if not stressful. Prize was a Streamlight handheld flashlight.
    8. Perks: Besides being able to try out an X95 without charge, (and you did not have to clean it!) there were many other goodies.
    a. IWI beanie. IWI nice water bottle. IWI patches
    b. 20% discount on IWI website merchandise (good for two months)
    c. SIGNIFICANT firearm discount of any IWI weapons (I cannot tell you what that discount is but I checked it out and it is substantial, especially in these times)
    d. 20% off any future classes if you signed up within several months
    9. Fundamentals: There was emphasis always on the basics of stance, breathing, natural point of aim, when to hold the rifle tight (closer up, faster cadence) and when to relax your grip (precision shot, longer distance). For students that repeated bad habits, Ron would videotape them and show them what he was observing. These individual interventions were all integrated seamlessly so that I did not feel like the class was held back at all.

Areas for Improvement
    The only gap I can think of was the medical plan. Although we briefed on medical each day, it was more like “don’t shoot yourself or anyone else because the nearest trauma center is 45 minutes away.” Ron always had a trauma kit on him and I never felt unsafe. However, I would have liked to see more of:
    • I am the primary responder. If I am injured, then YOU are the secondary responder (delegate someone qualified).
    • Here is the trauma kit, it is in RED. We will have one at the rest area and one on the range.
    • If there is a medical emergency/gunshot wound, then here is what you will say when calling 911: My name is___, there has been a training injury with person XXX being shot in the _____.
    • We are located at _____ give coordinates. Should have a placard with numbers, addresses, coordinates, etc.
    • If we have to transport, then the Blue truck is parked there. We will transport the injured person up to main road to await the ambulance. If we cannot transport, then you (delegate) will drive up to the main road to meet the ambulance.
    • If we have to call life flight, then here are the coordinates.

I know that this is a little OCD but it would be my suggestion for improvement. Admittedly, the number of instructors that have this orientation detail for their medical brief is less than 1% based on the 30+ classes I have attended.

Equipment function
    My X95 had no malfunctions (except for the induced ones) and all 700 rounds were with the OSS suppressor. The Bandoleer was very functional and reloads were more efficient than magazines from a belt pouch or chest rig. Lying prone or kneeling had no issues. I would not have changed anything about my selected gear.

Summary
    This is a great class in general, but especially for learning efficient use of the Tavor X95. Ron is an excellent instructor and I especially enjoyed the physicality of the class. The course reinforced why I like the X95 platform in terms of ergonomics, ease of handling when running, ease of shooting one handed and in kneeling positions. There is a Tavor level 2 class, which I definitely intend to attend.

you carried them things like on the website? how do they stay if you are crawling in the prone?

did the instructor mention anything about double mag clamps?
    was there a recommended flashlight setup for the Tavor?

Bandoleer set up

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post

you carried them things like on the website? how do they stay if you are crawling in the prone?
    What the photo may not show well is that there is a strap from the back of the bandoleer that extends underneath your axilla, forward and secures to the front of your chest underneath the bandoleer.
    Essentially the bandoleer is locked to your support side underneath your armpit. There is very little sway.
    When we were prone the bandoleer was not displaced. Nkw we did not do any battlefield crawl so it was not tested in that fashion.

Here's a photo of my bandoleer with the securing strap unhooked

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Au2TiH-xDagAguUkMfiWVL_wZp1xoA

Tavor X95 flashlight configurations

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    did the instructor mention anything about double mag clamps?
    was there a recommended flashlight setup for the Tavor?
    Re Double Mag Clamps: I believe he disliked them. Reason was because of the bolt release catch location behind the magwell. With the double mags, the wider width and hand movements to actuate the mag release can be awkward depending on hand size. Also, since the bullpup design positions the magwell close in front of your chest, the bulk of two mags can prevent you from getting a good cheek position for some folks.
    However, if you have practice with it and can perform reloads well then go with it.

Re Flashlight: Name:  20210130_094700.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  26.3 KB
    This photo is of the instructor's X95. The streamlight WML is mounted on an Arisaka picatinny adapter at One o'clock. The activator pad is sandwiched on the same side by the guard rail. It is held in place by friction. The way he grips the X95, Ron can activate the light from either right or left hand.
    I don't personally like the OEM guard rail as i find it too slippery and the width is too wide for my hands.

This is my set up.

1. I have a Thorntail IWC light mount adapter mounted to the 12 o'clock position behind my Iron sights.
    2. The WML is a modlite mini scout version (https://modlite.com/collections/weap...31650514796580) positioned at one o'clock.
    3. The WML has the SUrefire DS00 scoutlight tail switch, which allows me light activation with my left hand.
    4. The activator pad is on the LEFT side of the rifle held in place by the picatinny mount of the pad itself and zipties.

My set up is more expensive and has more parts but it allows me a vertical grip or angled grip attachment, which I prefer on my X95. However, I prefer the Modlite over the Streamlight and also prefer the backup of the Tailswitch click button in case my pad malfunctions.

Name:  20210209_215742.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  15.9 KB
    Name:  20210209_215817.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  24.6 KB
    Name:  20210209_214509.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  19.6 KB

Hope this helps.

User Tag List