Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or is Lee underappreciated?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    What vintage was your Pro 1000?

Lee has reportedly lowered the height of the press base to change the index point of the shell plate. This is supposed to give the primer just a bit more time to get situated on the priming punch.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Samesies; 2016 probably.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Samesies; 2016 probably.
    I haven't tried the latest version of the P1000. I wonder if the priming system works any better.

Not sure when they changed. 2018ish.

Site Supporter
    I haven't tried the latest version of the P1000. I wonder if the priming system works any better.

Not sure when they changed. 2018ish.

I’m aware of that change and I think you’re right around the timeframe. I kinda want to try the new system but as I’ve regretfully stated before, I somehow keep the old 1000 running....

I've posted this before but I've actually found the P1000 works very well if cases are primed off press.

Size and inspect cases in first step. Second is prime using whichever hand priming tool. Once cases are primed, load on the Lee.

Put the powder charge die in Station One, bullet seating die in Station Two and crimp die in Station Three. Without having to stop every 100 rounds to fill the primer system the loading goes pretty fast. Almost fast enough to make up the time lost priming off the machine.

I've used the above to load 9mm and 45 and found it to work well. But I've since sold my Pro 1000.

Without having to stop every 100 rounds to fill the primer system the loading goes pretty fast. Almost fast enough to make up the time lost priming off the machine.
    With an APP in the mix this could be a nice setup. I did this to facilitate swaging, and as a bonus I lubricated the cases, and that also makes it faster and easier. With shpulder to dent it is hard to get too much on a pistol case, and they sized with almost no additional effort. Wet tumble and they dry quickly with no primers.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    With an APP in the mix this could be a nice setup. I did this to facilitate swaging, and as a bonus I lubricated the cases, and that also makes it faster and easier. With shpulder to dent it is hard to get too much on a pistol case, and they sized with almost no additional effort. Wet tumble and they dry quickly with no primers.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    There's the new case feeder primer tool now based on the APP. It would likely speed up the whole "off press" process as well.

Lee ACP - great addition!

My first progressive was the Loadmaster, but having read/watched all the horror stories about priming, didn't even install the priming stuff. I decapped/sized/primed on a Challenger single stage, then loaded the case feeder up and went to work - station 1 flare and charge, station 2 powder lock out die, station 3 bullet feeder (Mr Mini or Hornady), station 4 seat, station 5 crimp. As soon as the Auto Case Prime came out, put that in the mix using the Breech Lock pro with case feeder to decap/size then expand using 2 stations, then load all those into the ACP case feeder. Once primed, load all those into the Loadmaster case feeder and finish the reloads. Sounds like a lot of steps, but actually the ACP has saved time without having to prime with the pez dispenser on the single stage. A good addition for $85.

I'm still loading using a Lee Classic cast SS press. I have one Lee die set and a few FC dies. I try to avoid buying their dies, but damn that SS press just works like a pro. I've loaded thousands of pistol and rifle rounds with that cheap press and those dies. If you want to buy into reloading with minimal outlay, Lee will get you there. I always recommend their gear for a novice reloader who wants to break into the game on a tight budget. I was born a poor black child down in Mississippi and started reloading before Midway USA existed.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-23-2021 at 08:25 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Speaking of Lee has anyone used the new Lee Ram Swage?

I'm a fan of the Hornady AP swage kit but it is not really convenient for swaging just a couple primer pockets. I'm thinking the Lee might be handy in something like the Lee Hand Press. Something that could be used to swage just a handful of pieces that might be found when sorting brass or when encountering a case that's already been processed but doesn't want to easily accept a primer.

Sorry, thought you meant @jlw and I have strong opinions about that....
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List