Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or is Lee underappreciated?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I was both too lazy and too unimaginative to do that. I just screwed the Lee taper crimp die back in and kept on truckin'.
    Well, if you could buy a taper crimp die these days I mighta!!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Lol!

Lee does have a couple different crimp options if a person is opposed to the idea of the carbide sizing ring.

One is basically a mini-rifle crimp die with a fingered collet. The collet is activated by the shell holder and squeezes the case mouth. They make this die for revolver cartridges.

They also make a standard taper crimp die which is just as it sounds. A tapered die with no additional sizing application.

Both are something like $12.00 if you can find one. Or at least they used to be.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    They also make a standard taper crimp die which is just as it sounds. A tapered die with no additional sizing application.
    Both are something like $12.00 if you can find one. Or at least they used to be.
    I did find the taper crimp die at Midway, and it was $12:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...scription-link
    My deal with the 45/9mm FCD is working OK, but the rounds are still popping back out of the crimp die in an unusual manner, so I am happy this thread reminded me about this. I have never been super worried about accuracy with 9mm, but sure would be great to mimic this.

And like it says, Free Shipping With $49, so of course I needed to spend another forty to save four, so I grabbed some more of the Spline Drive Bushings:
    I converted my Rockchucker and these are very nice, IMO. I had done the Hornady conversion and it is nice, but the Lee Spline Drive does a (IMO) nicer job of actually drawing the die down against a hard stop. And I think this is a suitable use of their o-ring idea that holds them snug. And the split clamp works great. Can Recommend.

On a whim the other day I ordered one of their Ram Prime units (it was only like $12 at Brownells) because some days I just want to prime a few cases and it is slow, but quicker than setting up something that is fast. But it needed to be inserted into one of the Spline Drive bushings, and that worked great, but for some reason not when I went to do some small primers in 38 Special. When I ordered it they were OOS on what I really needed, the Ram Prime that is specific to the Spline Drive, so I snagged one:
    This was actually pretty handy the other day when I was doing twenty rifle cartridges on the single stage. I went from neck sizing to priming buy just doing a quarter turn out with the die and a quarter turn in with the Ram Prime, the shell holder comes out of the press and the same one goes into the Ram Prime and the priming rod snaps into the press, and it is simple to choose between large and small.

Anyway, I think these are some examples of the handy little things Lee sells for $10-$20.

Site Supporter
    Lee dies are under appreciated. The two major progressive presses will make people lose their religion. They make liberals conservative, conservatives liberal, and will turn homophobic men into dyed in the wool gay guys. They would have made Ike sell atomic bomb secrets if he had had one. Take my word for it. Not even Richard Lee could make them work.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Lee dies are under appreciated. The two major progressive presses will make people lose their religion. They make liberals conservative, conservatives liberal, and will turn homophobic men into dyed in the wool gay guys. They would have made Ike sell atomic bomb secrets if he had had one. Take my word for it. Not even Richard Lee could make them work.
    I agree pretty much completely. One can get the Pro1000 running pretty reliably. Mine hums along now that I’ve figured out to keep it clean and the primer tray filled. But then again, I also have a mechanical engineering background so....

I ran the hell out of a Pro1000 when I was just getting into IPSC, 1997-99 — definitely broke six figures loading for me and three busy friends.

It was janky — it was never not janky — but I could run it fast. A typical night would be 800 -1000 rounds in two hours, of which 20 minutes was fiddling with some jam or other.

I replaced it with a 550 principally so I could load 556 well. It did, and I produced probably about 50k on it before it found another foster parent.

I have since bought a classic turret, because SLG said to, and not assembled it (in four years) because I haven’t been shooting enough. Once the primer drought is over (I have some but no need to use them yet) I’ll consider firing it up versus going to the new Dillon machine.
    Ignore Alien Orders

The drip-o-matic casting furnace will do the same.

My first try loading .300 BO was with Lee dies. No bullet that wasn’t an FMJ spire point would seat straight.

I bought a set of ol reliabke RCBS set w small-base sizer and problem solved.

Their carbide FCD is about all I have use for.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I agree pretty much completely. One can get the Pro1000 running pretty reliably. Mine hums along now that I’ve figured out to keep it clean and the primer tray filled. But then again, I also have a mechanical engineering background so....

What vintage was your Pro 1000?

Lee has reportedly lowered the height of the press base to change the index point of the shell plate. This is supposed to give the primer just a bit more time to get situated on the priming punch.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Mine was very old.

User Tag List