I'll play.

Name:  IMG_2278.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2283.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  67.8 KB

Site Supporter
    This still works, but I’m starting to worry about the durability of my Modlite (specifically the batteries) on a shotgun. Battery that’s been in the gun on the right vs new on the left. These are Modlite branded batteries. No way this is normal, right?

Name:  09B10115-6203-4A10-B17B-BFD38EF678D0.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  25.7 KB
    Name:  A0CA9AA1-8CAE-4D44-A25C-034162AF08D3.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  22.6 KB
    Last edited by RancidSumo; 06-24-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    This still works, but I’m starting to worry about the durability of my Modlite (specifically the batteries) on a shotgun. Battery that’s been in the gun on the right vs new on the left. These are Modlite branded batteries. No way this is normal, right?
    Can't edit my post or I'd add this to the original, but Modlite says the recoil should be no problem and it looks like just a bum battery. They sent out a replacement immediately.

I have a Cloud Defensive OWL and struggle with the same fears. Even the best rechargeables are still hobbyist batteries, not as robust as CR123a. I get that you need to step up to a bigger battery to get the kind of output that we seem to expect nowadays but I'd rather have a reliable 20,000 candela vs a sketchy 150,000.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Site Supporter
    I decided that I don't like how flimsy the TRex mount on the handguard is and have been experimenting a bit. The Arisaka offset mount fits pretty well on the Nordic barrel clamp rail. I don't have a short light body on hand, but am thinking I'll order one and move the light here full time. This was just to make sure it would fit. Anyone have a reason why this is a stupid idea before I start spending more money?

Also, killed another Modlite battery . . .

ETA: This time, with pics.

Name:  IMG_5232.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  101.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_5230.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  32.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_5231.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  29.7 KB
    Last edited by RancidSumo; 08-05-2021 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post

Name:  09B10115-6203-4A10-B17B-BFD38EF678D0.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  25.7 KB
    Name:  A0CA9AA1-8CAE-4D44-A25C-034162AF08D3.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  22.6 KB
    Seen that more than once with CR123s in a forend light over the years as well. Recoil is no joke.

It's why I generally train without the batteries in the light, unless I'm specifically doing low-light stuff.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Seen that more than once with CR123s in a forend light over the years as well. Recoil is no joke.

It's why I generally train without the batteries in the light, unless I'm specifically doing low-light stuff.
    Battery #2. Something like 50 heavy birdshot and 25 00 shells. I think I’ll be following your lead and training without batteries from now on.

Name:  F01A6C45-4692-4D17-B1C6-E910523EB787.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  21.8 KB

Malkoff has some "Battery Bumper" o-rings (one at the front and the other at the rear of the battery) that supposedly alleviate damage to the battery and switch in rough treatment. I have a pair in one of my Malkoff lights and it seems to help as I've dropped that light several times onto concrete.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 08-06-2021 at 03:25 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Malkoff has some "Battery Bumper" o-rings (one at the front and the other at the rear of the battery) that supposedly alleviate damage to the battery and switch in rough treatment. I have a pair in one if my Malkoff lights and it seems to help as I've dropped that light several times onto concrete.
    Thanks - ordered a couple sets (and paid more in shipping than I did for the Battery Bumpers).

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Malkoff has some "Battery Bumper" o-rings (one at the front and the other at the rear of the battery) that supposedly alleviate damage to the battery and switch in rough treatment. I have a pair in one of my Malkoff lights and it seems to help as I've dropped that light several times onto concrete.
    Interesting. Is there anything special about them compared to just normal o-rings?

User Tag List