Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone tried to poison Oldsmar’s water supply during hack, sheriff says

Site Supporter

Someone tried to poison Oldsmar’s water supply during hack, sheriff says

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tam...outputType=amp

Pinellas Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said the attacker tried to raise levels of sodium hydroxide, also known as lye, by a factor of more than 100.

Local and federal authorities are investigating after an attempt Friday to poison the city of Oldsmar’s water supply, Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said.

Someone remotely accessed a computer for the city’s water treatment system and briefly increased the amount of sodium hydroxide, also known as lye, by a factor of more than 100, Gualtieri said at a news conference Monday. The chemical is used in small amounts to control the acidity of water but it’s also a corrosive compound commonly found in household cleaning supplies such as liquid drain cleaners.

The city’s water supply was not affected. A supervisor working remotely saw the concentration being changed on his computer screen and immediately reverted it, Gualtieri said. City officials on Monday emphasized that several other safeguards are in place to prevent contaminated water from entering the water supply and said they’ve disabled the remote-access system used in the attack.
    Hmmmm

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tam...outputType=amp

Pinellas Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said the attacker tried to raise levels of sodium hydroxide, also known as lye, by a factor of more than 100.

Hmmmm
    Maybe connecting every. single. thing. to the internets wasn’t such a good idea after all. I have no clue why systems like that couldn’t be run on an internal network and never see the hive of scum and villainy that is the internet, but I bet disconnecting will become more of a thing after a couple of successful attecks.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

We really need to get our infrastructure's act together, or get it off the internet altogether.

Saw that on tonight’s local news.

https://www.wfla.com/news/local-news...maging-levels/

Oldsmar is around the corner from where we live. No bueno.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Maybe connecting every. single. thing. to the internets wasn’t such a good idea after all...
    This.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I would happily pay for a Cylon female assistant, if they could be trusted. Wait till we go to war with China and ALL the water in the USA gets poisoned.

Ok, that's after the Space Lasers attack! I grant you, though, that such incidents are serious.

It is like another government agency appears to have missed the last 20 years of cybersecurity suggestions.
    Sorta like having the database of US classified clearance investigations, being told it was unprotected and doing nothing...

This place was a few miles from a National Security Special Event staring in a few hours. Somebody got plunked!

In 2002 it was possible for the water distribution system for a city of a million people to be damaged, to the point of possibly taking six months to a year to be fixed by:

1) someone logging into an IP address WITH NO PASSWORD. You just had to know the IP address.

or

2) Pulling the wooden supports from under 3 conduits with an F350 and some logging chain.

The vulnerability assessment got buried. Those things were fixed, but I'm sure a myriad of others weren't.

I think shit like that should be air-gapped.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I would happily pay for a Cylon female assistant, if they could be trusted.
    You can’t afford the current blonde hotness, retired professor. You’ll have to settle for a used, gen 1 model...

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    In 2002 it was possible for the water distribution system for a city of a million people to be damaged, to the point of possibly taking six months to a year to be fixed by:

1) someone logging into an IP address WITH NO PASSWORD. You just had to know the IP address.

or

2) Pulling the wooden supports from under 3 conduits with an F350 and some logging chain.

The vulnerability assessment got buried. Those things were fixed, but I'm sure a myriad of others weren't.

I think shit like that should be air-gapped.
    A lot of people would be surprised how relatively recently certain very basic precautions were taken with our water systems. I was part of a DHS-funded hardening of the local water supplies in 2007 or so. I was shocked that the stuff I was doing hadn't been done before that time. I mean it should've been done on the day those installations were built.

User Tag List