Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Are Classes the Only Way to Become Proficient?

Site Supporter
    Now that you answered your question:

"Would he or I be better faster if we had Max Michel or Ben Stoeger living in our basements ready to coach us whenever we felt like it?

For sure we would."

Answer mine:

Yes or No

1. In your "prime" would you have been a better driver if you had some coaching by the lead factory Porsche Driver? If not him/her then who?

2. Would you be a better long gun shooter today if you had spent a day with somebody who was already a GM in the realm?
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Now that you answered your question:

"Would he or I be better faster if we had Max Michel or Ben Stoeger living in our basements ready to coach us whenever we felt like it?

For sure we would."

Answer mine:

Yes or No

1. In your "prime" would you have been a better driver if you had some coaching by the lead factory Porsche Driver? If not him/her then who?

2. Would you be a better long gun shooter today if you had spent a day with somebody who was already a GM in the realm?
    1. Yes. I thought that was clear because I did get coaching from Hurley Haywood who was a famous Porsche driver.

2. I don’t know. Probably? But maybe by 0.0001% more because most of the improvement was improving my coordination, strength and muscle memory? But it’s not an and/or because I ask my GM PCC friends questions all the time. It still doesn’t meet your criteria of “training resume” which was the point I was trying to make.

I ask for and get lots of help from people who know more than me.

That’s not sufficient to become proficient. It takes work and self study on top of that.

@vcdgrips

I find shooting mechanics pretty simple and intuitive.

I don’t need to attend a class to teach me to reload a revolver.

I can watch a Jerry Miculek video.

He did the reload in 1.57.

I studied his reloads and practiced a little.

Then I can do it in that ballpark of time (he has me on consistency and accuracy but it’s a start).

I don’t need a class to teach me to reload a PCC, I can watch this guy.

I can watch this video:

He did a 0.92 reload

And study and practice that.

Then I can do it in that ballpark of time (he has me on consistency and accuracy but it’s a start).

I couldn’t have done it without watching their videos. But I didn’t need a class to do it. Just putting in some smart work.

Where I’d like to take a class is from someone like @SouthNarc who can teach me strategy rather than mechanics (which I can work at home).

Site Supporter
    Copy re the driver. I apologize for not reading closer.

Re longs guns

JCN says---- "I don’t know. Probably? But maybe by 0.0001%"

You start a thread for all to see that you are not good with long guns yet.

When asked would you be better if spent a day with a long gun GM, you seriously are saying you have 99.0099% of it figured out?!?!?

I am in awe. You are a freak of bodily kinesthetic and cognitive nature. I have no more words...
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Copy re the driver. I apologize for not reading closer.

Re longs guns

JCN says---- "I don’t know. Probably? But maybe by 0.0001%"

You start a thread for all to see that you are not good with long guns yet.

When asked would you be better if spent a day with a long gun GM, you seriously are saying you have 99.0099% of it figured out?!?!?

I am in awe. You are a freak of bodily kinesthetic and cognitive nature. I have no more words...
    It’s not meant to be antagonistic. So please don’t take it that way.

I’m answering your questions honestly. I think you’re interpreting my answers through a colored lens and attributing things that aren’t attributable.

If you asked: would I be worse if I couldn’t ask any PCC questions or study video?

Absolutely. I would probably be 30% worse.

But I could and did ask those questions. So spending a day with a GM wouldn’t have gotten me much further because I was working on fundamentals and had already asked those questions.

The “I’m not good at” threads are where I STARTED the threads to show the progression of improvement.

The goal is to get good at and the reason for the threads is to document the progression.

I can go from A class to GM level in a few months of self study.

That’s the point of those threads. To show that I’m not automatically GM, I have to figure it out.

Also to your point, I plan on squadding this year with the best PCC GMs I can get with in order to study them live.

I don’t have it all figured out, but that’s not what you asked.

TL: DR version is that I want National Champion input on strategy rather than mechanics. I don’t need coaching on mechanics, just a video of them doing it to study.

But I feel that I have to get the mechanics work done first before I benefit from the strategy part.
    Last edited by JCN; 02-26-2022 at 02:54 PM.

User Tag List