Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: N Frame Grips for Small Hands

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    Okay, I have this Model 27 incoming and want to get some grips and a good leather holster.
    I bought an OWB holster from Mernickle; it was well worth it. If you're going to use the gun in matches, it's probably stating the obvious to make sure the holster conforms to their rules.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Trigger Modification.

Has anyone mentioned the reach to the trigger? My limitation is my index fingers not being long enough to get a proper position in the face of the trigger, in the forward, double-action position. My deep-palmed hands love an N-Frame revolver, but getting enough finger on the face of the trigger compelled me to hold off-center, which directed much of the recoil force through and down my thumb. One year of that, with a 629, firing mostly Magnums, wrecked my right hand. I switched to an HK P7, for about half a year, for duty and personal-time carry, to let my right hand heal. (Yes, I just had to be Dirty Rexy, using a .44 Mag duty revolver.)

I spent the next five years using a Model 58, with a narrow trigger, with the trigger’s grooves and edges having been ground-off and smoothed for an earlier owner. (It was an ex-San Antonio PD duty gun, so an SAPD armorer may have performed the trigger mod.) The narrower, rounded-off trigger meant that I was using a better hold, with muzzle flip going upward, rather than a violent twist off-center, as with the 629.

I tried several grips with the 58, finally settling upon original Magnas, with no grip adapter. (A high bore axis became my enemy.) I thought about consulting with a custom grip maker, but then just transitioned to a Colt Commander, for duty and carry, and shifted my attention to Ruger GP100 and S&W K-Frames. My 58 was starting to shoot loose, so it enjoys semi-retirement, only occasionally fired, single-action.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Good points. I’ll be honest. I’d probably would be better if with a k or l frame. I’d like to get a 66 sometime as well. Just had this chance at a 27, and have always wanted one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Has anyone mentioned the reach to the trigger? My limitation is my index fingers not being long enough to get a proper position in the face of the trigger, in the forward, double-action position. My deep-palmed hands love an N-Frame revolver, but getting enough finger on the face of the trigger compelled me to hold off-center, which directed much of the recoil force through and down my thumb. One year of that, with a 629, firing mostly Magnums, wrecked my right hand. I switched to an HK P7, for about half a year, for duty and personal-time carry, to let my right hand heal. (Yes, I just had to be Dirty Rexy, using a .44 Mag duty revolver.)

I spent the next five years using a Model 58, with a narrow trigger, with the trigger’s grooves and edges having been ground-off and smoothed for an earlier owner. (It was an ex-San Antonio PD duty gun, so an SAPD armorer may have performed the trigger mod.) The narrower, rounded-off trigger meant that I was using a better hold, with muzzle flip going upward, rather than a violent twist off-center, as with the 629.

I tried several grips with the 58, finally settling upon original Magnas, with no grip adapter. (A high bore axis became my enemy.) I thought about consulting with a custom grip maker, but then just transitioned to a Colt Commander, for duty and carry, and shifted my attention to Ruger GP100 and S&W K-Frames. My 58 was starting to shoot loose, so it enjoys semi-retirement, only occasionally fired, single-action.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post

Yep, I have the same problem: normal hand but Pygmy fingers.

The only DA .44 magnum I ever owned & shot was a Redhawk. It was shot SA only and was so heavy as not to be a problem.

I consider N frames best suited to non-magnum big-bore rounds.

Double stack DA/SA autos like the Sigs are the absolute worst for me.

I’m starting to appreciate the GP100 a lot more. Shorter reach.

Not my measurement, but someone else measured trigger reach on an N-frame 629 and an L-frame 69, 3.10" for the N, 3.00 for the L, both wearing the same stocks.

I don't know how the M69 reach compares to say a M586 but since I seem to like throwing dial calipers on different revolver frames I'll measure mine when I get the time.

But I have a N frame (Hogue mono) and a K-22 (factory Magna's) right here and the difference seems very small to me.

Update

I got the 27 in today and the BK grip. Thank you all for suggesting them.

When I went to put them on, the grips wouldn't seat with it as high as I'd have liked. While it touches the back of the trigger guard and the front of the grip, there is a cap at the top curve. You can't see air when you look at it from the side, but it seems lower than most photos I have seen. Is this anything to be concerned about, other than it doesn't look as clean? I guess dirt could get down in there, but I don't plan on rolling in the mud with this thing... lol

User Tag List