Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking About Shortening the Barrel on my OMSBH

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Why not drill and tap, and use/reuse a SBH screw on front base and blade? Or aren’t they like that anymore?
    They can do as you suggest. My opinion is that without silver soldering or use of a miracle epoxy, the ramp would not remain attached. Recoil forces would soon pop the screws. The heavier the part, the more likely it will fly off under recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    They can do as you suggest. My opinion is that without silver soldering or use of a miracle epoxy, the ramp would not remain attached. Recoil forces would soon pop the screws. The heavier the part, the more likely it will fly off under recoil.
    It worked for Ruger...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Off topic slightly, but I find this thread interesting because I’m in the market for a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag. So is the consensus 4.20” or 5.5”? I had been leaning toward the 5.5”, but reading this thread makes me think 4.2” may be the better option. Use would be for future hunting endeavors and a backwoods gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    Off topic slightly, but I find this thread interesting because I’m in the market for a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag. So is the consensus 4.20” or 5.5”? I had been leaning toward the 5.5”, but reading this thread makes me think 4.2” may be the better option. Use would be for future hunting endeavors and a backwoods gun.
    I recommended 4-5/8 because it is a traditional barrel length for Ruger single actions. And the op was going to have the barrel cut. With a Redhawk used for hunting, the extra sight radius and extra velocity from a 5.5 inch barrel might be an advantage. I do think that either would serve you well. The Redhawk is a big revolver and an extra inch or so would not detract in any way. I would buy the first available one and never look back.

Gary Reeder Custom Guns in Flagstaff, AZ.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List