Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking About Shortening the Barrel on my OMSBH

Ive had several Rugers cut to 4 5/8" including a 3 screw, I dont regret any of them. I bought one of the 5 1/2" fluted 44 mags with regular blackhawk size steel grip frame, and had it cut to 4 5/8" also, as I liked the length and already had holsters for it. I also flat topped a couple Ruger blackhawks and like that change quite a lot.

The longer ones are fun to shoot but I rarely carried one after having a shorter one, several were sent down the road because I never used them and already had a good 4 5/8 gun. Having said that Id like another long SA to shoot, Cimarron does a 10" I think, but it only comes with the silver inlaid thing in the grip which doesnt appeal to me. I had one of the 12" Colts long ago and it was hugely fun to shoot and very easy to hit with out to a couple hundred yards, about all the range I had at the time.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

4 5/8" on the length, and Mag-na-Port for the work.

If it needs other work (i.e. action/trigger job) I'd get that done at the same time. They have conversion package deals as well as a host of a la carte services. Call if you have questions - they're good people.

https://magnaport.com/conv.html
    https://magnaport.com/misc.html
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I don't know if they still do it, but I sent my 7 1/2" .45 Blackhawk back to Ruger in 1982 and they replaced the barrel with a 4 3/4" (or 4 5/8" whichever Ruger does) for $25. I liked it very much but ended up trading it for an SP 101 in .38 Special for my wife.

Revchuck, Back in the day I had two 7.5" SBHs shortened to 5". I wish I'd have least kept one, but over time they got sold or traded away. Later I bought a Freedom Arms revolver and wanted a gun similar to my 5" SBHs, so ordered a 4 3/4". I still have the FA gun, and have never regretted my choice of barrel length. People seem to worry a lot about resale value. I get it, but admit I don't buy guns for investments, and do sometimes change this or that to whatever suits me. Like the two SBHs I had cut to 5" for instance.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think that’s an awesome idea for a “woods walking” gun and load.

I refer to it as a “field gun” and a .44/.45 cast boolit with a big fat meplat at 900-1,000 FPS is perfect. It’ll handle just about any critter in North America, but is easy on the gun and shooter.

I love OM Ruger SAs and find 5” about the max for comfort in a hip holster. I carried a 5.5” S45N extensively, but that was on a 2” wide gun belt and I could adjust it when I sat down.

I have a 4 5/8” SBH and I’ve never regretted the barrel length. In your case you’d end up with a packable pistol with slightly larger grips.

I wonder if you could find a take off barrel to have installed instead of bobbing the original?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I have an Old Model Super Blackhawk that I bought back in '87 (I think). IIRC, it was produced in '67. It's stock except for the front sight, the original was too short. I no longer hunt, and future field use would be as a woods-walking gun with 240-grain SWCs at about 900-1,000 fps. I'm thinking about having the barrel cut back to 5-1/2" or maybe 4-5/8". The gun is very accurate as it is, and there'd be some loss of accuracy due to shortened sight radius plus geezer eyesight...but I'm okay with that. It's too long to carry as it is now.

What are your thoughts as to barrel length? Who would be a good 'smith to do the work? I just don't want to send it off and have to wait a couple of years for what should be a fairly straightforward job. Of course, I'd also need new leather for it too. Recommendations?
    Cut it like you mean it at 4-5/8 inch. Carries well. Holsters easier to find at this length. Appealing image. The dude Mr Tripp of 1911 fame does pistol work. See if he will cut it. Look at front sights and ramps at Brownell's to see if one is available. If you will accept silver solder without reblue, your cost will be much less. Anyway. You won't be able to live with a half ass job so pay to have it done right. A correctly done crown is part of right. So is correct sight/ramp installation.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Cut it like you mean it at 4-5/8 inch. Carries well. Holsters easier to find at this length. Appealing image. The dude Mr Tripp of 1911 fame does pistol work. See if he will cut it. Look at front sights and ramps at Brownell's to see if one is available. If you will accept silver solder without reblue, your cost will be much less. Anyway. You won't be able to live with a half ass job so pay to have it done right. A correctly done crown is part of right. So is correct sight/ramp installation.
    Why not drill and tap, and use/reuse a SBH screw on front base and blade? Or aren’t they like that anymore?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    As 41magfan said above, Magnaport would be a great place to send it. As said in link, they could remove and reuse your original sight ramp. These folks have been doing this for 50 years and have all the equipment. They probably made some of it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Why not drill and tap, and use/reuse a SBH screw on front base and blade? Or aren’t they like that anymore?
    The original front sight is silver soldered on. The screw-on version must have come later.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    As 41magfan said above, Magnaport would be a great place to send it. As said in link, they could remove and reuse your original sight ramp. These folks have been doing this for 50 years and have all the equipment. They probably made some of it.
    They offer exactly what I want, except they port it. I need to email them and see if they'll do their conversion without the porting.

User Tag List