Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A Mozambique question

Site Supporter
    Running is good practice. If I saw 10 opponents, I would run -= but AWAY! A funny story - we were doing FOF at Karl Rehn's doing a stop and rob scenario. I was an unarmed patron. Thus, when the action started, I ran out the door. I kept running a significant distance. That was because in another run, the unarmed patron ran out and stopped just outside the door to watch. The 'crook' ran out the door, saw him and 'shot' him. OOPS!

In the same scenario, I was the crook. As I held up the clerk, he hit me in the noggin (helmeted up), whiffle bat - so I fell to the ground and there was his leg, which I proceeded to unload (Code Eagles) into his leg. Karl told the clerk that this didn't go as well as he thought it would.

USPSA has it right: mandating a "Mozambique Drill" is poor form for competition and training.
    If you want to make shooters engage the head...MAKE them engage the head, don't TELL them. IDPA mandating a headshot robs you of the necessary stimulus to determine that the shot is necessary and problem solve in real time. IDPA Mozambiques are essentially "memory stages"...which that sport prohibits.
    Make the shooters engage the head by placement of hard cover, soft cover, and no shoot targets. Not by making them memorize new target engagement rules for a single stage. Another case of the faux-tactics of IDPA...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    USPSA has it right: mandating a "Mozambique Drill" is poor form for competition and training.
    If you want to make shooters engage the head...MAKE them engage the head, don't TELL them. IDPA mandating a headshot robs you of the necessary stimulus to determine that the shot is necessary and problem solve in real time. IDPA Mozambiques are essentially "memory stages"...which that sport prohibits.
    Make the shooters engage the head by placement of hard cover, soft cover, and no shoot targets. Not by making them memorize new target engagement rules for a single stage. Another case of the faux-tactics of IDPA...
    Totally agree on this.

A Mozambique on a non-moving frontal target is like memorizing a Steel Challenge stage.
    You can do it in your sleep and with your eyes closed.

Training to be able to hit small targets RIGHT NOW will allow you have the option of putting shots on the actual head rather than where the head was at the start of the drill.

Site Supporter
    I have my answer, the believers can stand down from both 'games'.

User Tag List