Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Mozambique question

Site Supporter

A Mozambique question

1. I have joined USPSA as is the game easiest for me to shoot in my area and it's fun.

2. Looked at this thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Shooting/page2

and it jogged my memory, the club leader gave me an orientation lecture and a shooting test. I asked about Mozambique drills (not with purpose, just asking about how matches run), he said they were not allowed. I searched and found on the Enos forum that they were forbidden due to difficulty in scoring.

We shot them in IDPA all the time and seeing the shooting I posted, it seems like something one might want to include. I know it's a game. I like it, so not trying to start a flame war - which will start anyway.

Generally philosophically, USPSA has less engagement rules which allows shooters more freedom in “solving” a stage problem.

So if you see a scoring surface, you get to decide your own time versus points distribution.

Add to that, major and minor have different points calculus for head shot C zones, it’s against the philosophy.

I will say that I have shot matches where they have accomplished Mozambiques by using two targets overlaid.

Name:  268BD768-78A3-48DB-8246-1A5BFA6C6BB1.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  29.9 KB

I also was at a USPSA match where there was a stage where all the body shots required two shots and the separate head targets required one.

USPSA just wouldn’t dictate that you HAVE to take a head shot when body is available. Your choice is a key thing for USPSA.

Enjoy the matches! Maybe just suspend judgement and try to get into the swing of things before asking about IDPA things in USPSA matches. There are often reasons why things are done differently and rather than change rules for 20,000+ competitors, work within the rules to accomplish what you’re trying to accomplish.

> A Mozambique question

I have read your post four times and I still do not know what the question or topic you wish to discuss is.

I get it, you like the Mozambique drill (AKA DB Modified LAPD SWAT Qual https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....LAPD-SWAT-Qual), and it is not allowed in USPSA but is in IDPA. So whats the topic?
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Site Supporter
    We shot them in IDPA all the time and seeing the shooting I posted, it seems like something one might want to include.
    Will it get you killed in the street?

1. It seems to me that practicing failure to stop drills is a good thing. At tactical classes and events like the NTi, we shot failure to stop targets that wouldn't drop unless you performed a good Mozambique sequence.

2. Where can I practice such? Most indoor ranges frown at fast, draw and multiple shots. One in TX would if you were checked out.

3. Matches seem a place to practice such under some movement and time stress.

4. Does a particular game allow you to practice a useful technique? Shooting from retention, Mozambiques, strong hand weak hand, standing on your head?

5. It seems that if USPSA want to have a menu of useful practice targets, it might do such. Yes, at my match, they did have some staggered targets as shown but why do that instead of just a straight forward one - except as Enos's forum said - range lawyer disputes over scoring? Solving your problem as 'freedom' - that's nice. There are rule constraints, so you are not totally free.

Just asking and not wanting the grand USPA/IDPA battle to start. I'm happy to shoot the staggered ones.

You can go through a stage shooting only at the head box if you want. If it's normal scoring (not a fixed round count) you can shoot 3 rounds on every target if you want. You do you. It's just time and ammo.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Sure I get that. Just wondering about the rationale. In fact, I did that to empty out a mag rather that drop one with rounds. Being a FOG and not worrying about winning, I can get the reasonable trigger practice.

Like I said, it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Where can I practice such?
    I live in Brooklyn NYC so the only answer I have is "in your bedroom, with dry fire" and
    probably "get a coolfire trainer" Keepers was really into them a few years ago so they are
    probably pretty good. Then at least you can use any target you like including photos of
    peoples faces.

For the range I often use more abstract targets like the 3-2-1
    http://pistol-training.com/drills/3-two-1 and perhaps the B8 DevGru 1-3-5-7-4 drill using b8 targets
    (use a viking tactics target hung b8 side facing you, you will have to hang it vertically but for this drill it may be what you want)

Although it is a bit limiting to use abstract drills, there is some benefits in not having others know too
    much about what you are doing or practicing.
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

I guess USPSA cannot dictate a mozb be shot on targets, but if you want to shoot any/all targets for every stage as 2 body/1 head - knock yourself out.

If your thinking you just need to be pre programmed or just practice always shooting a mozambique - well, Mr. White has great discussions about all training having "training scars".
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Will it get you killed in the street?

1. It seems to me that practicing failure to stop drills is a good thing. At tactical classes and events like the NTi, we shot failure to stop targets that wouldn't drop unless you performed a good Mozambique sequence.

2. Where can I practice such? Most indoor ranges frown at fast, draw and multiple shots. One in TX would if you were checked out.

3. Matches seem a place to practice such under some movement and time stress.

4. Does a particular game allow you to practice a useful technique? Shooting from retention, Mozambiques, strong hand weak hand, standing on your head?

5. It seems that if USPSA want to have a menu of useful practice targets, it might do such. Yes, at my match, they did have some staggered targets as shown but why do that instead of just a straight forward one - except as Enos's forum said - range lawyer disputes over scoring? Solving your problem as 'freedom' - that's nice. There are rule constraints, so you are not totally free.

Just asking and not wanting the grand USPA/IDPA battle to start. I'm happy to shoot the staggered ones.
    1. None of the cardboard targets in USPSA will drop in the first place so I don't follow where you are going with this one. If you have been involved with the logistics of setting up and administering a fair match, you understand how hard it is to make sure activating and moving targets behave equitably for all shooters.

2. Wish I could help you but I have no knowledge of NY ranges. If you keep going to matches start asking people where they practice or maybe join your local club. Mine allows club members to borrow a bay for practice with no real restrictions except caliber and obviously no rounds should escape the berm.

3. Matches are very very poor practice. You spend 6 hours on the range and you get to shoot for maybe 5 minutes total, much less than that if you're good. If you want to practice mozambique drills I recommend dry fire and finding access to a good range.

4. Strong hand and weak hand shooting happens in USPSA. Regarding some of the more esoteric kinds of shooting, I don't think so and honestly I wouldn't want one to. Mozambiques are benign but I have 0 desire to be at a range that is open to all participants where people are shooting from retention, laying on their backs, etc. I have seen enough borderline unsafe gunhandling as is.

5. USPSA org sees itself as an amateur sport and not "training" for whatever defensive or tactical application you likely have in mind. The ability to run a fair and interesting match (as in a sporting event) trumps whatever supposed training value people get from the match. Most of the shooters likely agree or else they would go shoot IDPA. Not a criticism of IDPA, just stating a fact.

For some reason I thought I had posted this before I left for my gym. Wonder if I posted it somewhere else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76FZ...ature=youtu.be

Matches give enough mozambiquing, or mozambesque, practice, see first two target arrays.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List