Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Streamlight TLR 9: 16650 Rechargeable Pistol WML

Streamlight TLR 9: 16650 Rechargeable Pistol WML

At SHOT show last year, I discovered that Streamlight's new TLR 9 WML could fit the 16650 rechargeable battery in my EDC flashlight. The guys at the Streamlight booth didn't know that, and nothing I've seen from Streamlight shows that they even realize they've created a great, rechargeable capable WML.

I recently snagged a TLR 9, and so far I'm pretty impressed.

TLR 9 w/ 16650 = 128.1g / 4.52oz

I had been concerned that the use of a 4.2v battery would drop the brightness vs the 6v 2XCR123, but if it has I haven't noticed it. The light is plenty bright running the 16650.

7 yards night:

7 yards TLR 9:

50 yards night:

50 yards TLR 9 (slide removed from frame for this pic):

Overall I'm pleased. By being able to use rechargeable batteries, I can get a lot more use practicing with the light, as well as making the light more useful for just shooting at night / in poorly lit indoor ranges. With CR123 lights, I was always hesitant to turn them on, as each little activation lowered the overall charge in the light.

Very cool!

What with the increasing popularity of 18650 rifle WMLs, this is something I should have thought of but didn’t. I wasn’t a huge fan of the TLR-9 when it was introduced but this makes a lot of sense. Not just that, they could market Li-Ion based pistol lights where the TLR-7A size platform has the same output as the longer TLR-9 - just with shorter run-time.

Add to that the design allows battery change without removing the light so it would be rechargeable with the ability to carry spares rather than having to charge the light itself like some other offerings.

Especially with their newest subcompact and remote switch capable lights I’m pretty excited. I wonder how much redesign would be necessary to go 18650 for compatibility with the batteries in other Streamlights and with rifle WMLs?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Very cool!

What with the increasing popularity of 18650 rifle WMLs, this is something I should have thought of but didn’t. I wasn’t a huge fan of the TLR-9 when it was introduced but this makes a lot of sense. Not just that, they could market Li-Ion based pistol lights where the TLR-7A size platform has the same output as the longer TLR-9 - just with shorter run-time.
    A TLR-7A sized light that could take an 18350 with TLR-9 output would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Very cool!

Add to that the design allows battery change without removing the light so it would be rechargeable with the ability to carry spares rather than having to charge the light itself like some other offerings.

Especially with their newest subcompact and remote switch capable lights I’m pretty excited. I wonder how much redesign would be necessary to go 18650 for compatibility with the batteries in other Streamlights and with rifle WMLs?
    Yes, thats something that I liked and should have mentioned in the review; the ability to change out the battery without removing the light from the pistol. I'm planning on locktiting mine into place with blue thread locker, as I've had flashlights vibrate loose in the past.

This format has a lot of possibility though. Given the removable head, I think a custom flashlight maker could replace the current led - a very wide spill beam profile - with an Osram White Flat. These are the LED's used in current state of the art thrower flashlights. The very narrow beam produced by this LED will help overcome the inherent limitations of the shallow reflector used by the TLR 9 (necessary to keep length down.)

The GT Nano, for example, is tiny, but has 23k Candela by pairing a Osram with a rechargeable lithium battery, to give a sense of future possibilities for even compact lights.

https://www.nealsgadgets.com/product...ano-flashlight

With the OSRAM LED, this tiny light can produce a beam like this:

So the future possibilities of 'front loading rechargeable WML' is quite bright.

In terms of the TLR 9, it could be converted to 18650's in the future, they'd just have to make the light a bit wider, heavier, and possibly a hair longer.

But, even though all my lights are 18650's, I dont find the use of 16650 here objectionable. 2 batteries is like $16, and they use the same charger as my 18650's, so the hassle in minimal. Keep one battery in the gun, keep a spare in a case, easy peasy.

https://www.orbtronic.com/16650-li-i...able-protected

I think the big thing is tipping Streamlight to the possibility they've opened up here with the TLR 9 for rechargeable pistol WML.

On an aesthetic note, while I run a 17L, the TLR 9 looks like it was born for use in a G34:

Sadly none of those are mine; simply shared from Reddit.

hey hey someone else bought a Flux. man that brace would have been perfect if it was a part of the frame instead of bolt on.

Streamlight has released a TLR10 - the TLR9 with a integral red laser. Presumably the 16650 hack also works for it as well.

I just wish it were a Green Laser...

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-10-gun-light/

I just wish it were a Green Laser...
    I must assume that's what's coming next...and agreed!
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I think the big miss on these lower profile lights is not doing a better job of integrating the laser. I would rather see the TLR-7/A and TLR-9 just a bit chunkier in favor of getting the laser more in line with the bore on the laser models. Mostly to ensure holster compatibility.

Can anyone confirm if the TLR-9 will fit a Safariland light bearing holster? Specifically on a Glock 22.

User Tag List