Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Maryland Shooting

Well, the video in the link is gone; something about a terms-of-service violation. As BBI and Hambo indicated, more shots fired into the same anatomical location will not, necessarily, produce quicker incapacitation. Bigger-diameter bullets will not, necessarily, produce quicker incapacitation, It may be necessary to place subsequent shots in different places, in order to disable important bits other than the “center of mass.” We may well have to use footwork, to get off the line of attack. And/Or, we may have to provide physical “assistance,” at contact distance, to help the person go down, or redirect his motion(s).

Nothing wrong with having larger-capacity mags, but if one or two shots shots do not work, a mag dump, in the exact same place, may not hasten incapacitation.

Nothing wrong with bigger bullets, but, depending upon shot placement, the permanent wound channel(s) may not be larger enough to make a difference in incapacitation times.

I remember a blade-fighting seminar, about 2004, more or less, being taught by Steve Tarani, during which Steve recounted asking one of his prior instructors about a drill, that involved a decapitating cut being immediately followed by a cut to the opponent’s sword hand. Steve’s instructor replied with a statement to the effect that even a just-decapitated enemy can still be a deadly danger, for some amount of time. (My memory has faded, but the instructor was a Filipino guerrilla, during WW2, who had subsequently become a highly-respected martial arts master.) So, yes, a drill that emphasized the need to literally disarm an opponent’s weapon hand, after a decapitating cut. THAT is a failure drill!

I did not continue in regular blade training, but seriously dabbling in it, from time to time, does teach one the need for footwork, and to assume that every cut or thrust may well fail. The principle applies to gunfighting, too.

Edited to add: Everything on Page 2 was posted while I had already started typing this post, so I had not yet seen the video clip posted my LL.
    Last edited by Rex G; 02-07-2021 at 11:06 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    I am not sure this is true. the officer only had one hand on the gun and looked to be using more body index rather than his sights. Not sure he could hit the occular window on an advancing target, while backing up, with those skills.
    Nothing but MMQB on my part, but it sure looks like the officer was focused entirely at repeated center mass shots in a chaotic moment. Hard to say but it might have been his brain couldn’t work out why they had no effect, and he did not have a Plan B.

I’m glad the officer is ok. Sorry this asshole had to expire himself.

Very much interested in this discussion. For example, are there any parrallels here with Kyle Dinkheller?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kyle_Dinkheller

I’ve taken the liberty of adding the existing GiF of the video of the shooting to the OP along with a news report so that folks don’t have to scroll through the thread.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Nothing but MMQB on my part, but it sure looks like the officer was focused entirely at repeated center mass shots in a chaotic moment. Hard to say but it might have been his brain couldn’t work out why they had no effect, and he did not have a Plan B.

I’m glad the officer is ok. Sorry this asshole had to expire himself.

Very much interested in this discussion. For example, are there any parrallels here with Kyle Dinkheller?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kyle_Dinkheller
    Well, not to MMQB, but, yes, it did appear that the deputy continued to fixate on firing at general center-of-mass, and retreating, when neither were probably best responses, by that moment in time.

I hate to see a straight-line retrograde retreat, but, unfortunately, that is what is often instructed, and, well, we tend to default to our training.

Edited to add: The deputy may have been trying to get to the door of his patrol vehicle, to prevent the actor from getting there, first.

None of these comments cover the Kyle Dinkeller incident. I would want to review that, before commenting further.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Updated OP with live Twitter video with audio.
    #RESIST

In the Twitter video, at about 10 and 18 seconds, the suspect appears to be motioning/pointing to his 160th SOAR shirt. He also broke a large stick on the deputy, clearly assault.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    In the Twitter video, at about 10 and 18 seconds, the suspect appears to be motioning/pointing to his 160th SOAR shirt. He also broke a large stick on the deputy, clearly assault.
    On the first swing, he had likely committed assault in the first degree under Maryland law, which provides in part that "a person may not intentionally cause or attempt to cause serious physical injury to another." Md. Code Ann., Crim. Law § 3-202. Assault in the first degree is a serious felony punishable by up to 25 years of imprisonment.

The moment an opponent’s stick breaks, is the PERFECT interruption, in his OODA loop, to suddenly and violently do something DIFFERENT than what one had just been doing.

Just sayin’.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    It will be interesting to see what the back story to this is

Prelude to the shots is up on a local TV station page

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/video-sh...sburg-shooting

User Tag List