Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maryland Shooting

Site Supporter

Maryland Shooting

I’m not going to debate whether this was a justifiable shooting or not—that is not the point. I want you to see the effect (or lack of it) of 12 pistol shots to the upper torso from a step away. This is why follow through is so important, along with an expectation that more than one shot will be required. This is not uncommon with subjects under the influence of DDDA (Drunk/Drugged/Deranged/All of the Above).

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1358082481455591429?s=21

Suspect was wearing 160th SOAR shirt.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/l...4-a882007608dd

When the deputy arrived, he saw the man approaching two people with a large wooden stick, according to Sheriff Darren Popkin. When the deputy intervened, the deputy and the man began fighting, and the man struck the deputy at least once with the piece of wood.

The deputy attempted to deploy his Taser, according to Popkin. When he wasn't successful, the deputy shot the man, the sheriff said.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene, and the deputy was taken to a local hospital for treatment. He's expected to be OK. Sheriff Popkin said he's expected to be released from the hospital Saturday.

The sheriff's deputy has not yet been identified by the sheriff's office, nor has the man who was shot. It's not clear yet what was causing the man to act erratically.

Montgomery County Police are handling the investigation. Sheriff Popkin said the deputy was wearing a body camera, but did not say whether it was recording at the time of the incident.

The deputy will be placed on administrative leave once he's released from the hospital while the investigation continues.

It is stuff like this that makes me debate whether I should be carrying a my Glock 43 for deep concealment at all. When I practice with it, half of the ammo is used for immediate incapacitation drills. It is definitely harder to hit a smaller target with a smaller gun, but I only have at most 9 rounds so I better make them count.

I think to some extent whether it was 12 or 5 or 6..... placement and decompression time were involved.

Damn. There’s a lot going on with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@jnc36rcpd

Do you know what duty weapon, caliber and load is used by Montgomery County Sheriffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    It is stuff like this that makes me debate whether I should be carrying a my Glock 43 for deep concealment at all. When I practice with it, half of the ammo is used for immediate incapacitation drills. It is definitely harder to hit a smaller target with a smaller gun, but I only have at most 9 rounds so I better make them count.
    I think the low-capacity subcompact guns are still useful. Ideally, with your stated use as deep concealment, you're only carrying the Glock 43 when you wouldn't be able to carry a more proper fighting pistol at all. So, your compromise isn't a Glock 43 vs a Glock 19. Your compromise is a Glock 43 or no gun.

And, even if you miss hitting the switch, you've at least started the timer. Your odds of winning have still increased compared to having no gun.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-07-2021 at 02:21 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Damn. There’s a lot going on with that.
    The "commentary" from the person recording the video was...um...yeah...

Site Supporter
    MCSO and the Fire Marshal's Office traditionally follow the lead of MCPD. I would imagine the deputy had a Glock 17 or 19 with G2 loads.

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think the low-capacity subcompact guns are still useful.
    Sixty percent of the time, they work every time. Full size or compact, a failure drill would have ended this a lot sooner (as would a lot of other things not within the context of Tom's post).
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    The guy drops in 5 seconds from the first shot, and we don't know where it hit. Let's assume it was a perfect center punch through the heart. As I figure you already know, even if your heart is damaged to the point of being non-functional you have enough oxygen in the blood already in your brain to act for several seconds. While not taking away from the main point you need to be prepared for the aftermath of the first shot not working, it's wrong to assume the additional shots to the torso made much (or any) difference in how long he took to go down. For example, an officer was ambushed, took a .380 through the opening in his vest, through a lung, and through the heart. A fatal wound, doubtlessly, and from just one hit. Yet he realized where the suspect was, oriented to him, and almost emptied his own magazine firing at his ambusher, striking him multiple times.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List