Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Y'all, is there a DA/SA pistol with a grip angle like a Glock?

Site Supporter

Y'all, is there a DA/SA pistol with a grip angle like a Glock?

I've got no dog in this fight. A friend asked me, and I told him that frankly I didn't know, but I knew who to ask. I know that my 80 and 90 series Berettas, as well as the PX4's with whatever backstrap adapter you put on them, are nowhere close. I have no experience with other DA/SA guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    I've got no dog in this fight. A friend asked me, and I told him that frankly I didn't know, but I knew who to ask. I know that my 80 and 90 series Berettas, as well as the PX4's with whatever backstrap adapter you put on them, are nowhere close. I have no experience with other DA/SA guns.
    I find the grip angle of the CZ P-07 to be similar enough to a Glock that I can shoot both interchangeably.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

How grips feel is highly subjective, and I am not challenging Clusterfrack's comfort with the P-07, but my understanding is that it has an 18 degree angle like almost every other gun. The only guns I know of with grip angles like the Glock are the Ruger .22, the Colt Woodsman .22 and the Luger 9mm. I once heard that part of the motivation for the grip angle on the .22's was to promote feeding reliability of the rimmed cartridge. I would guess the grip angle on the Glock was probably due to some familiarity or fondness for the Luger by whoever actually designed the gun.

Perhaps the right combination of side pieces and backstraps on guns like the HK could approximate the Glock angle?

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    Perhaps the right combination of side pieces and backstraps on guns like the HK could approximate the Glock angle?
    Nope.

AMT Automag is the only one I can think of......and at that, I'm not even sure if they're DA/SA or SAO. Even if you open it up to SFA, the only other service pistols in production with a similar angle is the Steyr M-series and Caracal.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I would recommend to look at the front sight and slap the trigger.

Then he doesn’t have to worry about dumb shit like grip angle and reset.

Because that’s probably gonna be the next question.

Site Supporter
    Grand Power pistols have a grip angle similar to the Glocks. But I think part of the feel of the Glock, like the Steyr, is how much higher your hand sits on the backstrap compared to most pistols

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Walther P99.

Definitely more of a swept angle vs. my other DA/SA guns.

Name:  3ED8989B-ECF1-4289-9917-89AD49DF7FD7.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  45.0 KB

Honestly, it felt a little... off, at first. But it definitely didn’t affect my ability to shoot it. Put up some very tight groups the first time I shot it. And that was even before the skateboard tape (which it needs, in my opinion).

Looking forward to less ammo insanity so I put more rounds though it.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 02-07-2021 at 01:53 PM.

There is more to it than just the measurable geometric grip angle. In my hands, a Glock G17, a 1911 with a straight mainspring housing, a SIG P229, an S&W 3913, a SIG P220 “European,” and a Walther PPK/s, plus numerous other weapons, “point” the same, regardless of their differing mathematical grip angles, while a SIG P220 “American,” and its cut-down-sized couisin the P245, point notably low; probably low enough to gut-shoot, while aiming at the X-ring, from five to seven yards. (In this context, “European” and “American” refer to the differing P220 magazine release systems. There is nothing uniquely “American” about a push-button magazine release system, as both systems have been produced on both side of the Atlantic.)

Yet, with at least one aftermarket grip, that does not cover the backstrap, to effectively change the “grip angle,” a P220 “American” pointed naturally, for me. Go figure. There is more to it than just the measurable geometric grip angle.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    I just realized that the Laugo Alien comes close to a Glock angle as well. But being a game gun (no safety, SA only) and all but unobtanium, that's not what he's looking for either.

User Tag List