Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Damn Red Dots!

Damn Red Dots!

Just getting into the RDS game and while I love the return of my accuracy in shot making and calling (I can see what's happening
    that I can't with poor eyes and Irons) I HATE them because I can't just "Out of Box" run a gun with them as well as I can Irons...cause I know where
    them irons are!

Finding the Dot takes some (ok maybe quite a bit) of time with THAT gun's grip. No way in hell I could I just grab any RDS gun and run it.

So I hate them and love them. Just wait till I break a couple...I'll be back whining about that!
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Welcome to the dark side

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Welcome to the dark side
    Dark? But they put out light!

I think after you log more hours with dots, the difference between guns and optics will decrease.

How are you accounting for zero for your "out of the box" testing?
    Can you do a quick 10 min of draws at a safety table at the match to lock in the presentation?

When I go to something with a steeper grip angle, I consciously will pick a visual spot 1-2" vertical from where I'm actually trying to drive the gun to and that helps compensate for the different grip presentation. Once the dot is visible in the window nearing extension the auto-correct in arms and position takes care of it from there.

I use one on my MkII target pistol and I like it a lot. I put one on a carbine and went back to a scope. Not much of a an improvement for me at 100 yds. and was a disadvantage at 200. It's sets in a box unused.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Easier transition for old open shooters...

I'm about as far from any sort of red dot expert as possible.

However, I find ever so slightly elevating the muzzle, and allowing the dot to "drop in" from the 12 o'clock position is pretty repeatable for me, across multiple guns I don't shoot frequently.

For me, visually it's as if the dot is returning after recoil. That's about the level of elevation I am describing. For me, it's predictable and repeatable.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I'm about as far from any sort of red dot expert as possible.

However, I find ever so slightly elevating the muzzle, and allowing the dot to "drop in" from the 12 o'clock position is pretty repeatable for me, across multiple guns I don't shoot frequently.

For me, visually it's as if the dot is returning after recoil. That's about the level of elevation I am describing. For me, it's predictable and repeatable.
    Also replicates the Press Out, if you are into that at all....

pat

Burris 8MOA FF3 on CZ Checkmate Open gun.

Carry Optics coming up later this month.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Not to belabor the point, but a good RDS specific class can do wonders in compressing the time frame in getting RDS proficiency down to iron speed.

User Tag List