Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Damn Red Dots!

I saw that SIG's Romeo 2 and another newer RDS have lowered the screen so that the RDS co-witnesses with standard height sights. I'll hold out to see if other companies follow suit.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I saw that SIG's Romeo 2 and another newer RDS have lowered the screen so that the RDS co-witnesses with standard height sights. I'll hold out to see if other companies follow suit.
    Got me excited for second, cowitness with standard sights is my grail.

“This ROMEO 2 will have 15 brightness settings. It has an integrated rear sight to co-witness with a front suppressor-height sight,” said SIG Sauer’s John Nichols.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I'm trying to find where I saw that. The reviewer made a point of not needing a taller front sight. I wasn't even interested until I heard that part. The other pistol/optic was the Hellcat, and I recall thinking that to get the optic height I want, I'd need to carry the two pistols I least want to own.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    TBH, a very slight change in the sight body casting process to creat a small pair of vestigial nubs, to serve as back up rear sights, seems like a fairly reasonable MRDS design evolution step. I’d expect makers to start copying that unless somehow Sig got a patent on it.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    TBH, a very slight change in the sight body casting process to creat a small pair of vestigial nubs, to serve as back up rear sights, seems like a fairly reasonable MRDS design evolution step. I’d expect makers to start copying that unless somehow Sig got a patent on it.
    That’s my dream carry optic - something like a mini ACRO with internal, grossly adjustable BUIS. It wouldn’t prevent issues if the sight is smashed, but I feel dot failure is a much more likely failure to mitigate.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I think the dot is helping my shooting at distance, but the most significant improvement is my weak hand shooting. Gee, I wonder why, what with cross-dominant vision and my distance vision correction in my non-dominate eye and all...

But on that topic, I am pretty sure I am not shooting with both eyes open, at least if the timer is running. If I am still reflexively closing an eye, maybe that is contributing to my transition maybe being a little smoother than conventional wisdom says it should be? And as I contemplate this, I might persist in continuing, since I never intend to quit shooting pistols with regular sights?...

Name:  MMc MnP CORE V1 WH.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  58.2 KB

Also, not sure, but I think I am using my right eye here. I cannot remember, but I do remember hitting the target on the first shot, something new for me when shooting weak hand...
    ETA: Hmmmmmm, just saw the casing in the air I guess the plate should be swinging if I hit it on the first shot... Maybe not!!!

ETA: I have another rack that duplicates this setup that we park down at 25-30yds, the specific distance depends on a big mud puddle, but with no mud yesterday it was at the back of our little spot. One of the drills we run is to do two shots on the square plate, then do one shot on the distant silhouette plate, then come back and do one shot on the little circle. With my five inch M&P with FO I can do that pretty well, but yesterday I did it with the Swampfox Liberty in five point something, which is fast enough to make me happy.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 02-22-2021 at 09:08 AM.

Have you tried putting painters tape on the front of the optic yet? It will pretty much force you to use both eyes.

I shoot cross dominant one eye open with irons as well. This helped me transition quickly to both eyes open with the dot.

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    Have you tried putting painters tape on the front of the optic yet? It will pretty much force you to use both eyes.

I shoot cross dominant one eye open with irons as well. This helped me transition quickly to both eyes open with the dot.
    Not yet, but so far I have only shot the thing 3-4 times.
    Something to contemplate. Probably at very close range at very high tempo I probably do not close an eye with irons.

Ok...so I was pondering this some more today...and thought: why not skip the rear sight, altogether? What I mean is I was all set to buy a sight set front/rear of suppressor height. But...but...but...what if I just bought a suppressor height front? I mean, if you are just using the tall rear sights as "nubs" to index the front off of, could you not just use the sight body, as long as you saw a front sight nub?

(I'm assuming of course you'd practice with this as a backup so you know where you had to aim to place a shot, in the event th dot failed. I wonder if I'd be any worse off just having a front sight, and use the optic body for kinda sorta a rear sight.)

What do you more experienced dot guys think?

Ok...so I was pondering this some more today...and thought: why not skip the rear sight, altogether? What I mean is I was all set to buy a sight set front/rear of suppressor height. But...but...but...what if I just bought a suppressor height front? I mean, if you are just using the tall rear sights as "nubs" to index the front off of, could you not just use the sight body, as long as you saw a front sight nub?

(I'm assuming of course you'd practice with this as a backup so you know where you had to aim to place a shot, in the event th dot failed. I wonder if I'd be any worse off just having a front sight, and use the optic body for kinda sorta a rear sight.)

What do you more experienced dot guys think?
    I think you should have usable BUIS on your carry gun, as a backup to dot failure, a work around if your index fails you, and for if you can’t find the dot in a weird position. I also think you should leave BUIS off your competition gun as you need to learn to shoot with a target focus, and getting rid of BUIS will just speed that along.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List