Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Considerations for red dots on slimline pistols

Philosophically, I totally agree with @GJM about his impressions on micro dots.

I am still carrying an RMSc on my primary carry gun (milled P365 with XL grip) due to the auto-brightness sensor.

I personally have a strong preference for an auto-brightness adjust. I know some trainers just like the dot all the way up, but for me it makes target focus difficult unless the dot is small.

I really wish the 507k would have that feature. The 507c does.

I like the Romeo Zero for a budget dot, but the polymer body has some flex to it and that IMO makes the battery connection less stable. I’ve had more dot flicker (like the RMR v1) with that unit than the others.

I like the 507k for bombproof durability and impact resistance, it’s on my range and dry fire versions of my carry gun.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Philosophically, I totally agree with @GJM about his impressions on micro dots.

I am still carrying an RMSc on my primary carry gun (milled P365 with XL grip) due to the auto-brightness sensor.

I personally have a strong preference for an auto-brightness adjust. I know some trainers just like the dot all the way up, but for me it makes target focus difficult unless the dot is small.

I really wish the 507k would have that feature. The 507c does.

I like the Romeo Zero for a budget dot, but the polymer body has some flex to it and that IMO makes the battery connection less stable. I’ve had more dot flicker (like the RMR v1) with that unit than the others.

I like the 507k for bombproof durability and impact resistance, it’s on my range and dry fire versions of my carry gun.
    I agree that a Holosun to beat on and a RMSc for carry is a great combo.

Why did you go with a 365 upper and not an XL, and who milled your 365 slide?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I agree that a Holosun to beat on and a RMSc for carry is a great combo.

Why did you go with a 365 upper and not an XL, and who milled your 365 slide?

Maple Leaf milled them. Good service, quick turnaround. Good prices. The only thing was the front sight height which I remedied by getting the Dawson fiber made.

The 365 milling isn’t as deep as the XL which leads to a little higher front sight requirement.

Here are the differences in cuts and my favorite carry holster with optic shroud to protect the RMSc.

Name:  DFBCB39A-1A50-4C93-AFF5-21BD33E7FB1F.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  86.3 KB

The reason for the 365 combo is a little more complicated.

I like manual safety guns because I have a young kiddo at home.
    I practice enough that I feel comfortable with disengaging safeties.
    I like the XL grip because I like pinky for recoil control and the extended regular P365 magazine pinches when worn. The little magwell flare of the XL grip is nice too.

I shoot the XL slide a little better than the P365 slide. But I shoot an EDC X9 better than a P365XL. And I shoot a Shadow 2 better than an EDC X9 and a TSO better than a Shadow 2.

The XL slide pokes me in the groin a little more carrying AIWB unless I increase the ride height and I figure I have to draw the line somewhere at the balance of shootability versus comfort.

You are also an excellent shooter (as is your wife!) so there may be a point where you/we say “you know, that’s good enough of a gun because I’m good enough as a shooter.”

I ran the P365 with XL grip through FAST, triple nickel, old FAM testing and was able to pass them, so I felt like I could say “good enough” even though I know I’m giving up a little performance for comfort.

FAM targets. 144/150
    Name:  0B007B95-5133-4689-802C-D8406CA2DE33.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  31.0 KB

Maple Leaf milled them. Good service, quick turnaround. Good prices. The only thing was the front sight height which I remedied by getting the Dawson fiber made.

The 365 milling isn’t as deep as the XL which leads to a little higher front sight requirement.

Here are the differences in cuts and my favorite carry holster with optic shroud to protect the RMSc.

I like the XL grip because I like pinky for recoil control and the extended regular P365 magazine pinches when worn. The little magwell flare of the XL grip is nice too.

I shoot the XL slide a little better than the P365 slide. But I shoot an EDC X9 better than a P365XL. And I shoot a Shadow 2 better than an EDC X9 and a TSO better than a Shadow 2.

The XL slide pokes me in the groin a little more carrying AIWB unless I increase the ride height and I figure I have to draw the line somewhere at the balance of shootability versus comfort.

You are also an excellent shooter (as is your wife!) so there may be a point where you/we say “you know, that’s good enough of a gun because I’m good enough as a shooter.”

I ran the P365 with XL grip through FAST, triple nickel, old FAM testing and was able to pass them, so I felt like I could say “good enough” even though I know I’m giving up a little performance for comfort.

FAM targets. 144/150

Bro - So on the FAST, did you draw and pull your cover shirt down to clear your mag so you don't have to clear your shirt on the reload?
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Bro - So on the FAST, did you draw and pull your cover shirt down to clear your mag so you don't have to clear your shirt on the reload?
    Yes, I pull down sideways to tuck it in back of the magazine so I can get to the mag more consistently.
    It leads to a little slower of a draw by 1-2 tenths but much more consistent on the reload.

You can see on the second FAST run if you play it in slo mo, I actually got snagged a little on the cover shirt on the reload so had to speed up my shooting cadence on the last four shots to compensate.

Yes, I pull down sideways to tuck it in back of the magazine so I can get to the mag more consistently.
    It leads to a little slower of a draw by 1-2 tenths but much more consistent on the reload.

You can see on the second FAST run if you play it in slo mo, I actually got snagged a little on the cover shirt on the reload so had to speed up my shooting cadence on the last four shots to compensate.
    Ha ha, I dig it! Pretty interesting.

Ha ha, I dig it! Pretty interesting.
    If it has a score and a timer it is a game, and gamers gonna game. Seems pretty smart to me, and even for the tacticians, once the shooting starts it is hardly a problem to have an exposed magazine.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If it has a score and a timer it is a game, and gamers gonna game. Seems pretty smart to me, and even for the tacticians, once the shooting starts it is hardly a problem to have an exposed magazine.
    Yep, my first thought was "he gamed the FAST drill!". I resisted saying that cause I thought it could come off in a negative way or heaven forbid, be "offensive". I think its great and I am gonna try it out a little just for experimenting. The reload is heavily weighed in the fast drill and super easy to bobble or loose lots of time if clearing cover doesn't go well, IME.

Yep, my first thought was "he gamed the FAST drill!". I resisted saying that cause I thought it could come off in a negative way or heaven forbid, be "offensive". I think its great and I am gonna try it out a little just for experimenting. The reload is heavily weighed in the fast drill and super easy to bobble or loose lots of time if clearing cover doesn't go well, IME.
    Hehe. Glad you clarified. I am of the mindset like @GJM that it’s all a game... a challenge to figure out.

I don’t carry reloads when I carry a gun, so it’s mainly just a skills drill rather than something that’s going to apply to my personal carry.

The only things that matter are rock solid index, straight trigger pull and having the gun go where you’re looking. Everything else is gaming. With the FAST it’s two back to back runs, so consistency is important and that’s where I came up with a method to better get a reproducible grip more like my USPSA magazine reloads.

FAM targets. 144/150
    Do you prefer the Rmsc to the 507k?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

User Tag List