Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Considerations for red dots on slimline pistols

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Do you prefer the Rmsc to the 507k?
    Dunno. There are pros and cons.
    The RMSc has a bigger window and a great light sensor.
    It is less durable and costs more.

I figure my carry gun actually leads a pretty pampered and cushy life, so I accept the durability issue with a dead on back up iron sighting system and have confidence that the dot brightness will be there at night and during sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

I personally have a strong preference for an auto-brightness adjust. I know some trainers just like the dot all the way up, but for me it makes target focus difficult unless the dot is small.
    Tangent about auto adjust. I used to keep my RMRs on manual, bright enough to prevent daytime washout. That resulted in battery life of 5 months for two different units. I changed to auto. That was OK, and then @SecondsCount set up a night shoot and auto adjusted RMR washed out under a 150 lumen handheld.
    I am back to manual and am looking to phase out RMRs altogether.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I've had a Romeo 0, 507K, and Sentinel so far, all mounted on a P365XL. The 0 came on the pistol as a package deal. Hated the "reach into the sight to adjust the brightness" design, hated the build "feel" (felt like junk airsoft toy), and, it's a Sig product, so, I just didn't trust it a lick. The dot was reasonably crisp, and the "glass" was fairly clean, so those are pluses. Luckily, there are no end of folks on eBay that will buy anything, so I got darned near full retail price for it...

The 507K was lightyears better. I'm not sold on the multi-reticle option, and I've seen several iterations wherein the "circle" part was canted off true - which would make me f'ing crazy. I'm NOT a fan of the manual adjustment - when the dot is set bright enough to see on a light colored target outdoors, it darn near flares the entire screen with light when you're indoors in normal/low light. Conversely, setting the dot for use indoors in low light makes the dot invisible outdoors, requiring several up "ticks" to be visible again. The glass is clear, though, and, as previously mentioned over and over, side-loading batteries are AWESOME. Lastly, the rear "notch" on the body co-witnesses nicely with the factory front on the XL, and, surprisingly, shoots to near POA at 15 yards.

I've had three different Sentinels. Build quality is WAY better than the Romeo 0, and I was super impressed with the auto-adjust feature, which worked like a champ even moving from full bright daylight into an unlit closet. Dot is clean and crisp. Down side is every one of them that I had showed massive amounts of light "defects" on the screen when exposed to even overcast sunlight. Multi-dots, light "trails" and general light "haze" were overpoweringly bad on all three of the optics. On more than one occasion, I was actually able to see a reflection of the circuit board in the lens when the light hit the optic at just the right angle. And none of these observations were trying to find flaw - they all occurred on the range, observed by multiple shooters in each case. The good news, Swamp Fox is absolutely no BS about their warranty, sent a return shipping label for each of them, and refunded my money quickly.

If I could get the Sentinel's auto adjust on the 507's body (love the side loading battery and built in rear BUIS), I'd be happy as a clam. As it is, all my small pistols are currently dot-less, because I'm not willing/able to work around the current flaws in any of the options I've tried.

I have had a 6 moa Romeo Zero on a P365XL. It was terrible. My previous report described the dot as a scale model of the solar system. Lens distortion was horrible. The dot looked like a football. The body of the optic flexed upward on the end opposite the screws. I had ordered two, one for me, one for my gunsmith. They were both the same regarding the flaws/defects. These were out of the first production run. Hopefully, they have been improved.

I currently have a Sentinel M on a 43x. Works pretty good so far. I have not been able to use it outdoors yet so I am not sure how it will perform in the daylight. During indoor testing, I did notice that if a light shines into the front of the optic from slightly above-center and off to the side a touch you can see a red square under the dot. I assume this is a reflection off of the emitter lens. Still in the early stages with this one so I can't really give much of an opinion on it yet. After reading the experiences @psalms144.1 I am less hopeful going forward. I have hit the down button a number of times while racking the slide.

I had a 407k, but ended up bailing out on the project it was for and sold it without ever doing more than coon fingering it. If the Sentinel does not work out, I sure wouldn't be afraid to get another one and try it.

I have a four inch PC Shield on the way to Primary Machine to direct mill a RMSc.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Where does one even get an RMSc?

FWIW, neither the Sentinel nor my HE508t fogged over when subjected to -2F temp, 91% humidity, straight from AIWB carry.

In order to fog, the temperature of the window needs to be below the dew point. At -2 degrees, 100% humidity would be a dew point of -2 and since your optic is warmer than that coming off your body it won’t fog.

I’m thinking about getting a G43 milled for an RMRcc. Does anyone have any clue what height sights I need to get a lower 1/3 or 1/4 co-witness?

@GJM

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I’m thinking about getting a G43 milled for an RMRcc. Does anyone have any clue what height sights I need to get a lower 1/3 or 1/4 co-witness?

@GJM
    I don’t know and needing suppressor height BUIS was the nail in the coffin for me with the RMRcc.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List