Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considerations for red dots on slimline pistols

Considerations for red dots on slimline pistols

In a recent thread, I mentioned that a few days ago at the LGS, there were three of us there, and one guy had a 48 MOS with a 507K, my wife had a 365XL with a 507K, and I had a direct milled 43X with a RMSc. Obviously slimline pistols and red dots are a great combination, as the dot makes up for less sight radius. Since the hardware is becoming more reliable and available, I thought it would be good to start a thread on some considerations around selecting, installing and using dots on slimline pistols.

I think the most common optics suitable for slimline pistols are the RMSc, the 407K/507K, the Romeo Zero, the RMRcc and the Swamp Fox Sentinel.

I have had a number of Shield RMS and RMSc optics over the past few years. For the last year plus, I have been frequently carrying a 43X with a 8 moa RMSc (polymer lens). After scratching up an early Shield, I have been very particular about how I clean the lens. I try to use compressed air to remove dust and debris, and sparingly use a Leupold Len pen. So far, this has kept my lens free of scratches. The optic has held zero perfectly for me. I really like the combination of the large dot and the Shield’s auto intensity. The RMSc design integrates nicely with standard height iron sights. Battery life is not as long as an RMR, and with no side loading battery drawer, the optic has to be removed to change the battery. So far, zero has held for me when removing and reinstalling the optic. A great attribute of the Shield design, is the optical clarity of the dot in low and adverse sun angles — I only see one dot and there is no splatter. The RMSc footprint is nearly the industry standard on factory cut slimline pistols.

I have not used a 407K, although I have had multiple 507K optics. I like the controls and side loading battery. I wish the dot was larger. At one point I thought I didn’t like the auto feature, until I realized it had no auto function, just manual and manual with a lock out. Sure helps to read the manual! I find the 507K is terrible in a low sun angle setting with the single dot selected — it is either washes out completely or has enough splatter, you can’t decipher which is the main dot. A work around is using the circle dot reticle, as that works perfectly in adverse sun conditions. While I find it harder to call my shots with the Holosun circle dot, I feel like the circle dot reticle may be the best 507K choice for EDC, where shot calling is not as important as having a visible reticle across a wide range of lighting conditions. One caution is that while the 507K footprint is close to the RMSc, it is slightly different and won’t drop on without modification.I do believe that an optic direct milled for a 507K will work with a RMSc.

I bought a RMRcc as soon as they came out, but after having it sit unused for months, I traded it on a SRO. I really wish Trijicon used the RMSc footprint, because it’s unique footprint makes it less desirable to me. I will be curious as to what pistols people are using the CC on and how they are working out.

I also got a Swamp Fox, but as of yet haven’t mounted it.

Early reports on the Romeo Zero were disheartening, but I haven’t heard much lately.

Feel free to pile on with your experiences with these optics, particulars of mounting these optics on slimline pistols, plate options and other observations.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have an unfired Swampfox Sentinel on my 43x, I have high hopes for it. I want to try a glass lensed Shield, but I’m a little hesitant until they have a robust stateside support organization set up for warranty and repairs.

I am disappointed Aimpoint went both with a nonstandard footprint and a higher profile than the others. I think the future for carry optics is in low profile designs that allow for standard or near standard height irons.

I would personally like to see a fully enclosed emitter slimline RDS that fits the Shield footprint and is low enough for factory height irons. A miniAcro, basically.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have 507ks on my Hellcat and 365. The Hellcat required slight modification and the 365 was milled by Maple Leaf. The Hellcat fell out of my pocket once and landed on the concrete patio smack on top of the 507 with no adverse effect. The milling on the 365 wasn't deep enough to keep the stock irons usable so I swapped them out for Ameriglo suppressor height sights; POI is about 6-7" high at 15 yards which is not ideal but would work in a pinch. I spend much time low crawling under houses so the lenses collect some dust but I've had no issues with scratches.

I was going to echo the comment about the dot being hard to find in bright sunlight, really directly overhead as well as low angle, but the circle or circle dot mitigate that.

I haven't found the increase in height to be a detriment to pocket carry and it's a non issue IWB. Color me completely sold on the concept.

I've recently been running a Sig Romeo Zero and I like it. My round count is down the last few months due to ammo cost, but it's been carried/dry fired daily and is still holding zero.

How does the 507K fit on the 43x MOS? I just purchased a 43x and need to decide if I'm going to order another Romeo Zero or try out the Holosun.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    I have 507ks on my Hellcat and 365. The Hellcat required slight modification and the 365 was milled by Maple Leaf. The Hellcat fell out of my pocket once and landed on the concrete patio smack on top of the 507 with no adverse effect. The milling on the 365 wasn't deep enough to keep the stock irons usable so I swapped them out for Ameriglo suppressor height sights; POI is about 6-7" high at 15 yards which is not ideal but would work in a pinch. I spend much time low crawling under houses so the lenses collect some dust but I've had no issues with scratches.

I was going to echo the comment about the dot being hard to find in bright sunlight, really directly overhead as well as low angle, but the circle or circle dot mitigate that.

I haven't found the increase in height to be a detriment to pocket carry and it's a non issue IWB. Color me completely sold on the concept.

PSA: I had Maple Leaf mill a couple P365s for me. Deleting the rear sight and using the integrated rear.

I then had Dawson custom make a proper taller front sight for me to have POA/POI and paid the setup fee.

But for anyone else who now orders that sight (not listed on their page for some reason) can get it at the normal fiber optic price ($39 shipped I think).

I’m a stickler for accurate BUIS on a carry gun with a dot.

EDIT:
    Ask for this one:
    Name:  D1A6AB6C-4350-46B9-8B5A-1698EE56FE6C.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  31.7 KB

The supposed durability of the RMRcc interests me, in spite of the proprietary mounting. As it’s advertised as 1911-slide width, I’m curious to see one on a Officer frame on a 3-4.25” slide.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    The supposed durability of the RMRcc interests me, in spite of the proprietary mounting. As it’s advertised as 1911-slide width, I’m curious to see one on a Officer frame on a 3-4.25” slide.
    Ooooooh... I never thought of that.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Good thread. I am in the process of installing a 507c v2 on my USPSA G34 MOS, and pondering what dot for my G48 for EDC. So I have questions from that standpoint.

Do you leave the dot on all the time, 24/7?

I’m guessing for carry that’s how I’d want it, and would put up with more frequent battery changes. So a narrow design with a battery tray or not having to remove the optic to change would be beneficial.

What would make you pick a closed emitter vs. open emitter design?

I carry AIWB, so would guess there’s a chance for lint build up on an open emitter, but perhaps periodic cleaning would mitigate that over having a closed emitter?

Would periodic PM be any different for a narrow vs. wide dot?

I would guess not to much, maybe preventive battery replacement frequent might be higher, but not due to size. I’d probably inspect it more frequently. I shoot my carry gun monthly, so maybe inspect the witness marks and/or torque the mounting screws at the same interval?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Do you leave the dot on all the time, 24/7?

I’m guessing for carry that’s how I’d want it, and would put up with more frequent battery changes. So a narrow design with a battery tray or not having to remove the optic to change would be beneficial.

What would make you pick a closed emitter vs. open emitter design?

I carry AIWB, so would guess there’s a chance for lint build up on an open emitter, but perhaps periodic cleaning would mitigate that over having a closed emitter?

[/i]
    Yes, dot on 24/7 for me.

I have the routine when putting on holster to chamber check and look at dot for brightness. Couldn't imagine not noticing lint or other debris in the emitter.

Also have plans for g48 with some slimline dot in near future.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Yes, dot on 24/7 for me.

I have the routine when putting on holster to chamber check and look at dot for brightness. Couldn't imagine not noticing lint or other debris in the emitter.

Also have plans for g48 with some slimline dot in near future.
    Thanks, that makes sense.

For my situation, it seems likely I'll buy a 507k v2 for the G48 I have now and have it milled. My LGS has had a hard time predicting supply and I've asked them a couple times about a 48 MOS, but with no luck. I guess everybody is in the same boat. Hence getting my current 48 milled. I'm not worried about the lack of the rail on mine, that comes with the 48 MOS.

I did check the 50k user manual and it appears setup similar to the 507c (2MOA dot/32 MOA circle), and the "sleep timer" function can be deselected, so the reticle never turns off.

Obviously this could be affected by how things go with my 507c/G34. Looking forward to hearing about other experiences with slimline dots.

User Tag List