Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Considerations for red dots on slimline pistols

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Transition glasses take for ever to turn from dark back to light in cold temperatures. Below zero, it seems like they never lighten, as I found out wearing them 14 months ago elk hunting.
    I keep finding reasons to stay away from the dot life. Transition lenses, and blowing snow are the most recent.
    Taking a break from social media.

I got conned into transitions a couple years ago... they suck. Hate...hate... LOATH ENTIRELY!

I have always shot without eye correction but wear glasses most of the time. Before the dot I would look over my glasses to aim in a carry environment.

With the dot that (and my shooting without correction) is sub-optimal.

So this past Friday I had an eye dr appt and left with a pair of contacts (way simpler process than when I tried them five or six years ago).

Today was day 4, a patrol shift, and the third day wearing them over nine hours. It takes getting used to, and there’s some PIA in maintenance, but I ran around like a kid on Christmas looking at dots on Friday. Really looking forward to actually shooting with a clear dot. Also curious how it will effect my opinion on dot size and brightness.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Where does one even get an RMSc?
    I think most folks are just getting theirs from Brownells: https://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...rod116190.aspx

Edit - While we're on the topic of dots and sunglasses (sorta).

Has anyone shot their dot a lot wearing polarized sunglasses? Any issue with cross-polarization causing the dot to go "extinct"?

I checked my RMR with my polarized rx cycling shades this afternoon and it didn't disappear the dot at any angle of rotation of the lenses. Optics was never my thing but I would surmise that the reflection of the concentrated LED off a curved surface is not acting the same way as plane polarization off a flat surface like water. It also has no discernible effect on reducing flare with the dot cranked up.

I’ve worn Transitions for...decades. I live in one of the coldest places in the country. I haven’t noticed any real problem or found a better option. Admittedly the pistols I use the most do not have a dot, but my rifles do. I think more of my pistols will soon though.

I have a 407Kv2 (my v1 drained batteries), two 507Ks, and the Swampfox Sentinel. I've also owned 2 Shield RMSc optics (plastic window). This is in addition to tons of "full-sized" pistol optics like RMRs, Holosuns, etc.

Sadly, my Swampfox Sentinel has TONS of flicker...it's like the refresh rate is 20-25Hz...it's a blur of dots during transitions and recoil. I thought that was just how they were, but watched two reviews (including the new Sage Dynamics one) that claim there is no flicker. So either Aaron got an updated version (mine was bought 2 weeks ago) or various batches of emitters have varying quality.

Does ANYONE else have flicker with their Swampfox Sentinel?

I think the 407Kv2 is my favorite, but I'll have to go out and check it in more sunlight conditions having read this thread.
    I kinda like running just the 32MOA circle on the 507K, since--if my math is right--it only covers 4MOA at 12.5Y, and 2MOA at 6Y. For me, it's too small to see "inside" the circle at that distance, and since I do aim at 1" stickers at 12Y, and the circle is not optimal. I much prefer an 8MOA dot, which is only 1MOA at 12Y.

** I loved the Shield RMSc, but constantly worried about the plastic getting scratched on such a high-priced optic. I DO want to try a glass-lens version as soon as I can find an 8MOA RMSw (waterproof) version for sale online locally. Of course, this will mean putting my lower sight back on my gun, since currently, the 43X and the 365 (with XL grip) have sights that are a bit too tall for me--even with the Holosuns mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by evi1joe View Post

I kinda like running just the 32MOA circle on the 507K, since--if my math is right--it only covers 4MOA at 12.5Y, and 2MOA at 6Y.
    I am probably missing something, but can you expand on the math to arrive at this conclusion? I have a different interpretation of minute of arc, maybe? Not trying to be a jerk, just thinking maybe I don't understand how you are putting this.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I am probably missing something, but can you expand on the math to arrive at this conclusion? I have a different interpretation of minute of arc, maybe? Not trying to be a jerk, just thinking maybe I don't understand how you are putting this.
    The way I THOUGHT it worked was this:
    32MOA is about 32 inches at 100Y. At 50Y, it would appear to be half that at 16 inches.
    At 25Y, it would appear to be 8 inches.
    At 12.5Y, it would appear to be 4 inches, and at 6.25Y, it would appear to be 2 inches.

This isn't exact, because I'm looking through it now at like 2.5 to 3 yards, and the 32MOA circle appears to be about 1.5" I can see the Gatorade bottle cap (bigger than 1") inside the middle of the circle.

Is that "not how it works" as they say?

(NOTE: this DID work with Eotechs, but maybe lasers are different than LED emitters.)

Quote Originally Posted by evi1joe View Post
    The way I THOUGHT it worked was this:
    32MOA is about 32 inches at 100Y. At 50Y, it would appear to be half that at 16 inches.
    At 25Y, it would appear to be 8 inches.
    At 12.5Y, it would appear to be 4 inches, and at 6.25Y, it would appear to be 2 inches.

This isn't exact, because I'm looking through it now at like 2.5 to 3 yards, and the 32MOA circle appears to be about 1.5" I can see the Gatorade bottle cap (bigger than 1") inside the middle of the circle.

Is that "not how it works" as they say?

(NOTE: this DID work with Eotechs, but maybe lasers are different than LED emitters.)
    Yeah, it's all good, semantics. MOA = MOA = MOA no matter what range it is, as far as I know...the way you said "it only covers 4MOA at 12.5Y, and 2MOA at 6Y" just kinda threw me for a loop.

I continue to believe the 507K circle only reticle is ideal for an EDC slimline pistol, as the circle works in low sun angle scenarios that a single dot may be splattered into multiple dots, and the circle may be visible with an imperfect grip, where a single dot may be out of the display. Also the K is available, reasonably priced and seems durable. My only complaint is the circle eats the battery quicker, but at least the K battery can be replaced without removing the optic.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List