Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Considerations for red dots on slimline pistols

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don’t know and needing suppressor height BUIS was the nail in the coffin for me with the RMRcc.
    I may have answered my own question. According to Battlewerx, a 10-8 .325 rear and .250 front will give a lower 1/4 co-witness with a direct milled RMRcc.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    In order to fog, the temperature of the window needs to be below the dew point. At -2 degrees, 100% humidity would be a dew point of -2 and since your optic is warmer than that coming off your body it won’t fog.
    Good info. Thank you for that. It is something I was concerned about and didn't have the scientific knowledge to know any different. Figured I would just test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I may have answered my own question. According to Battlewerx, a 10-8 .325 rear and .250 front will give a lower 1/4 co-witness with a direct milled RMRcc.
    That’s pretty tall for a little gun. That’s why I passed on the RMRcc for the 43. It would look like the Nina, Pinta or Santa Maria.

I did briefly consider having a 43 direct milled for a RMRcc all the way back obliterating the rear sight dovetail and leaving the front off, but I don’t know if I’m willing to trust RDS with no irons for a carry gun.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    This is what that exact configuration looks like with a Sentinel in a .160" pocket with the optic turned off. The rear is the 10-8 with a .140" notch, the front is a Dawson .250" x .105"

Name:  IMG_4896.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  16.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    This is what that exact configuration looks like with a Sentinel in a .160" pocket with the optic turned off. The rear is the 10-8 with a .140" notch, the front is a Dawson .250" x .105"

Name:  IMG_4896.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  16.0 KB
    Perfect, I actually just ordered both of those exact sights. Traded into another 43 this evening, now I just need to order the optic.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Good info. Thank you for that. It is something I was concerned about and didn't have the scientific knowledge to know any different. Figured I would just test it out.
    I think testing it out is the answer. I’ve been fairly extensively researching environmental conditions that can affect the performance of pistol optics and testing different “situations” and environments for a while. I’ve found that I was very ignorant to the whole issue of “fogging”. That may be that I’m from CA and we have a pretty mild climate in that respect. All that said, we’ve had a couple reports from the field of fogging so I set out to replicate, understand, and set “worst case” scenarios for it.

Here’s my breakdown. It’s my thoughts, and your situation, or that of another may differ.

1. Fogging is a cooler-to-warmer issue and while more accurately called “condensations”, is more clearly described as “fogging”, so that’s the term I’ll use. the primary concern is temperature, or more specifically the dew point, which is calculated from the temperature and the relative humidity (this can be influenced by anything that influences temperature and humidity such as vehicle air conditioning, home air and heating, and body heat). A basic (that’s all I got!) understanding of this will help the pistol optic instructor or user to better determine their needs regarding potential fogging of the optic.

2. CCW of a pistol optic is probably not going to have any fogging concerns. Because the optic is carried near the body with a generally high temperature and humidity (yes - I’m a nerd and I’ve tested it by “wearing” a device to measure temperature and relative humidity), the optic is pretty much always above the dew point and fogging is not a major concern.

3. Without getting too deep in the weeds, if one determines that fogging may be a concern due to how they carry the pistol (off body methods would be a good example) and their environment, then it’s important to plan for that and be ready. This is accomplished by doing a couple things. The first thing that I would recommend is a “freezer test”. Take your safely cleared and empty pistol and put it in your freezer for 30 minutes or more if you want. My freezer has a digital temperature gauge and I confirm it with a thermometer. It’s right at zero degrees Fahrenheit. Because the dewpoint of my ambient heated home temperature (inside) is above zero degrees - by a good amount - removing the optic-equipped pistol from the acclimated freezer temperature will result in immediate fogging. Yay.

Now I get to see how serious fogging will affect the optic. In my tests, enclosed emitters are the shit when it comes to fogging, but for any optic, the proper application of anti-fog products helps to reduce the effects and maintain effective sighting as well. Depending on the amount of fogging (which has a lot to do with the difference in temperature between the optic and the dew point), both the optic window and the emitter’s protective window can suffer from condensational fogging.

If this occurs and no anti-fog has been applied, there is a potential (though it would require “worst-case” conditions) for complete blocking of the window and lack of a clearly visible reticle (dot). This isn’t the end of the world but t sucks pretty bad so we want to avoid it. In my mind the best way to do it is to see worst case (freezer test) and make sure we can still see the dot. Application of an anti-fog product like cat crap will make a difference. You’ll see when you test without and then later with it.

Once understood, fogging can be anticipated, mitigated, and managed.

Along the lines of fogging, as mentioned by @SoCalDep is my use of transition lenses. For those not familiar, these are lenses that darken when exposed to sun. Depending on intensity of the sun and quality of the lenses, it can dramatically affect dot visibility. Something to think about if you have such lenses, and only shoot indoors.

A work around for those with transitions and lacking outdoor range access, would be to pick up a handheld UV light from the hardware store.

Stepping out onto porch:

Name:  20210214_101534.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  39.6 KB

Full transition after walking 25yds:

Name:  20210214_101731.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  37.6 KB

Back inside:

Name:  20210214_102214.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  39.7 KB
    Last edited by CCT125US; 02-14-2021 at 10:23 AM.
    Taking a break from social media.

My wife's competition guns (10/22 and 22/45) wear optics so it made sense to fit a 507K on her Kimber HD Pro Carry home defense gun. Primary machine turned the work around in 10 days from received to shipped. Looks right at home on the slide and should work well for her. I'm not going to try it for fear that I'll like it too much; I am considering promoting our other Kimber to EDC duty. The Kimber is now a series 70, part of the deal.

Name:  Kimber Slide 1.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  20.0 KB

Transition glasses take for ever to turn from dark back to light in cold temperatures. Below zero, it seems like they never lighten, as I found out wearing them 14 months ago elk hunting.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Transition glasses take for ever to turn from dark back to light in cold temperatures. Below zero, it seems like they never lighten, as I found out wearing them 14 months ago elk hunting.
    Ugh. There are sooooooo many things I’m finding I didn’t know about living in cold weather. I was thinking “I lived in upstate NY for 4 years; how bad can it be?” But that was 40 years ago as a college student in a dorm, fraternity, or apartment.

I love transition lenses enough I think I’ll just wear my shooting glasses with the clear lenses installed, if/when this is an issue for me when I move.

User Tag List