Thread: Building a pocket holster.

Building a pocket holster.

So I need a quick pocket holster. I borrowed a Beretta 21A for a 50s theme party, and will have a tucked in shirt. When I can't carry my normal 92 in a Keeper, I normally just have a folding knife but this time I have the option of a pocket gun so why not.

No sense in buying one for an odd one off event with a borrowed gun I won't normally have. My plan was to make a quick pocket holster from a water jug, as I remember a few years back seeing an article from @Claude Werner on how to do so. It seems like that article has disappeared.

Any advice for building a pocket holster? Pictures of your own home brew pocket holsters welcome. I'll be making it today for use tonight.
    Last edited by Cory; 02-06-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Here's a link to vids at youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...pocket+holster
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I think you're supposed to wash out the milk jug first.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I think you're supposed to wash out the milk jug first.
    I'm actually using a water jug, but I'll probably dry it off... so I guess I got that goin' for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    So I need a quick pocket holster. I borrowed a Beretta 21A for a 50s theme party, and will have a tucked in shirt. When I can't carry my normal 92 in a Keeper, I normally just have a folding knife but this time I have the option of a pocket gun so why not.

No sense in buying one for an odd one off event with a borrowed gun I won't normally have. My plan was to make a quick pocket holster from a water jug, as I remember a few years back seeing an article from @Claude Werner on how to do so. It seems like that article has disappeared.

Any advice for building a pocket holster? Pictures of your own home brew pocket holsters welcome. I'll be making it today for use tonight.
    Hmm, google?

I'd remembered a guy, on one of the forums (known for doing some off the wall tinkering) had details of doing something like that on his personal page, 15+ years ago. Went looking.

Couldn't find his, but did find this on Pistol Forum : https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-frame-holster.

Working on uploading photos. Standby for edit.

So I made a half assed holster. It will be used in dress pants that are no where near as snug in the pocket, so I'm hoping the bulk won't be an issue. I added a wedge to the exterior of the wing to break up the outline of the pistol, and to create a little space. Depending on how it looks in dress pants that may come off.

I feel like it looks enormous in the jeans pocket, but isn't immediately gun shaped... I'm not exactly proud of it. But we'll see how it goes.

Name:  20210206_122955.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  66.3 KBName:  20210206_122930.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  67.8 KBName:  20210206_123032.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  23.4 KBName:  20210206_123045.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  31.2 KBName:  20210206_123113.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  71.4 KB
    Last edited by Cory; 02-06-2021 at 12:43 PM.

It will probably work fine for now... The ugly is hidden by your pocket.
    I would consider trimming the "wing" down some at the top edge to give your fingers more room to grip the pistol and the concealment wedge is probably thicker than is actually needed.
    In jeans you should have no issue but slacks could cause a problem. There's probably very little tension holding the pistol inside the unmolded holster so if carried in slant pocket slacks you may find the pistol can slide out of your pocket in certain seated positions.

Site Supporter
    That looks like a nice effort, and will likely work well. You will probably see what, if anything, you want to modify by using it.

I see some nice extensions above the rear sight and below the grip to potentially catch a pocket to separate the holster from the pocket.

The square bottom is good for making the holster look like a wallet. It may or may not be advantageous to curve the bottom to correspond to the shape of the bottom of a front pocket. That curvature can help keep the gun more vertical, as opposed to having the rear sight pushed against the front of the pocket, which can reduce printing overall.

Nice job. I've made a few of these over the years while waiting for proper pocket holsters. I would "stitch" the edges together with a couple rows of staples. I also took a lighter and warmed the area around the trigger guard (on the body side only) enough to lightly form it around the guard for a little bit of retention. Just an idea.

Have fun with your 21A....if you can see the sights.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

So the party came and went... but I didn't use the pocket holster.

Because my dress pants didn't allow it. Last time I wore my dress pants I was around 185lbs, and after around a year of weight lifting I'm a comfortable 205lbs. But my legs are larger, and as a result I had signifficantly less pocket room. The holster did hide the mild printing but more or less prevented movement - and I had to get my chubby checker twist on.

As a result I made the informed choice to carry unholstered, empty chamber, and add my knife to a different pocket. Definitely not ideal, but better than nothing.

Anyway the wife and I had a blast.

User Tag List