Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Roscoes and irrational wants

Speaking of Roscoes and irrational wants

Maybe the coolest American-made Bulldog revolver I've yet seen.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/890825758

Name:  pix558039864.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  89.2 KB

S & W "New Departure" hammerless top-break revolver in .38 S & W, 1924 manufacture, with factory 1.5" barrel.

If I were a wealthy man, I'd carry this in a pocket holster just because I could.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I'm tempted to do just that to my old .38 S&W Lemon Squeezer.

After all, it's not like it's a super valuable antique.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Taking a quick look on Gun Broker and Guns International the prices kind of wallop you. Back when I still saw these semi-regularly they were bottom of the barrel pawn shop guns going for $50 to $150. Still, looks like $500 or so will get you to one now if you don't go pristine collector grade.

A website that might be of interest:

https://tinkertalksguns.wpcomstaging.com/

If you dig back through old blog posts, the author has done a lot of work with the old top break pocket pistols plus homemade avenging angels etc.

Kicking in a photo - grandma's nightstand gun:

Name:  20210112_211651.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  79.4 KB

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=Half Moon;1180867]Taking a quick look on Gun Broker and Guns International the prices kind of wallop you. Back when I still saw these semi-regularly they were bottom of the barrel pawn shop guns going for $50 to $150. Still, looks like $500 or so will get you to one now if you don't go pristine collector grade.

A website that might be of interest:

https://tinkertalksguns.wpcomstaging.com/

If you dig back through old blog posts, the author has done a lot of work with the old top break pocket pistols plus homemade avenging angels etc.

Kicking in a photo - grandma's nightstand gun:

How old is Grandma?
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    How old is Grandma?
    Well she's sort of stopped aging, but 78 when she passed. Grandma was a black sheep and family whispers say the revolver came from a moonshining boyfriend that later went to prison after joining a counterfeiting ring. Then again we kids weren't told these things. All stories overheard from grownups talking when we were supposed to be asleep. Who knows what's true?

Site Supporter
    Lex & Half,

KOOL guns. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Grandma was a black sheep and family whispers say the revolver came from a moonshining boyfriend that later went to prison after joining a counterfeiting ring.
    Your grandma was awesome.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Maybe the coolest American-made Bulldog revolver I've yet seen.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/890825758

Name:  pix558039864.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  89.2 KB

S & W "New Departure" hammerless top-break revolver in .38 S & W, 1924 manufacture, with factory 1.5" barrel.

If I were a wealthy man, I'd carry this in a pocket holster just because I could.
    And now you have me watching all the cheapish snub H&R topbreaks that I can find on Gunbroker....

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    And now you have me watching all the cheapish snub H&R topbreaks that I can find on Gunbroker....
    Yeah, I'd love to find a worn but salvageable S & W and put some barbecue-gun-type attention to it.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Well she's sort of stopped aging, but 78 when she passed. Grandma was a black sheep and family whispers say the revolver came from a moonshining boyfriend that later went to prison after joining a counterfeiting ring. Then again we kids weren't told these things. All stories overheard from grownups talking when we were supposed to be asleep. Who knows what's true?
    Sounds like my grandfathers family. He was so demure you never would have guessed he came from a wild family of loggers, 6 brothers plus great grandpa.

Maybe he was the black sheep of that family. Or the combination of WWI and grandma took the rowdiness out of him.

User Tag List