Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Got in a fight on the way home from work; too old for this; perhaps pepper spray?

The biggest issue with deploying OC from inside a vehicle is that it tends to get back in the cabin of the vehicle too, unless you're using one of the larger canisters with spray like these and basically hanging it out the window:

https://www.copsplus.com/sabre-sabre...-16-0-oz-spray

I see Sabre has just added a 'trigger top' can to their line up:

https://www.copsplus.com/sabre-sabre...p-spray-1-6-oz - Which might work quite well in the context of a vehicle.

I've debated, repeatedly, over the potential of adding aerosol 'grenades' inside my vehicle. Having gotten stuck on the edge of a few demonstrations that could have turned riotous (or in some cases did after I managed to unass the area), the idea of being able to roll the window down, hit the lever and drop/toss the can away from my vehicle, roll the window up, and bail, it useful idea. I'm just not sure it would work in practice. Particularly with the prevalence of masks these days.

https://www.copsplus.com/sabre-sabre...grenade-5-0-oz

___

Which brings us back to two issues we're seeing right now, reduced efficacy of OC due to mask wearing (aim for the forehead).

And most importantly remember this: never get out of the car

A car is the superior tool in all scenarios. Including hitting someone with it...

Alls well that ends well, I guess. You've already acknowledged that getting out of the truck wasn't necessarily the wisest decision you've ever made. I'm happy that the guy didn't deploy a knife, and didn't injure or kill you, and I'm happy that when you took him to the ground, he wasn't seriously injured. But he could have, and he could have been, and that's the point, I think.

Either way, for best results, we need to decide what we're going to do (in response to a situation) in advance of the situation.

Kyle DeFoor sums it up
    very well:

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankinCA View Post
    Never get out of the boat...seriously..I understand your dilemma, but you could face civil liability as well as criminal prosecution.

On the other hand, you can’t asses skill level. MMA and BJJ trained people are pretty much everywhere nowadays. It could have ended differently.
    I’m glad one of us (PF’rs) is okay. Please be careful.
    Pretty much this is my thought.

There's basically a BJJ/MMA school on every corner it seems, and most of them are pretty capable of turning out some badass dudes. To say nothing of boxing gyms, judo clubs, wrestlers, Muay Thai practitioners etc...and weapons or needles? Dislike very much.

That possibility notwithstanding, my concern is that even victory may be at cost. Sure, the guy calmed down after you dropped him on his ass and gave him These Hands(TM)

But what if he didn't? If he still fought back til the cops arrived? Sure you might be able to hold him...but the police are minutes away. What if he's high on something? Most BJJ or wrestling positions can afford great control, bit again, if he's high as fuck you might have a hard time holding him down.

Ok, you need to finish him then.

How do you finish your enemy? It is either strikes, joint locks or chokes. Every strike delivered is brain damage and damage to your hands. Real life isn't Walker Texas Ranger where you roundhouse kick the hemchman and he's out for an hour while you fight the boss. In my medical understanding, if a dudes out for an hour from brain damage he's probably never going to walk, talk, or feed himself again. So that means knocking him silly multiple times. So how many concussions does he get until the cops show up? You might still permanently disable him.

The BJJ aspect of a joint lock may not calm him and you might have to cripple him with a break. Might be hard to explain to the cops why his shoulder is all backwards or his leg is all inverted. Even so, if he's high as fuck he may not feel that.

What about choking him unconscious until the cops arrive? Well the Walker Texas Ranger rule still applies I believe to chokes. If he's out for an hour it's probably because he's just dead. So you'll need to choke him out several times. Are you confident you can do that 'til the cops arrive? Don't hold on for too long btw. Of the three it's most likely to work without permanent damage, but what if he's got a carotid plaque? Then he'd probably be dead. Also, are chokes deadly force? Does that vary by state? What are your states laws?

Breaking contact is option #1 and when you're in a metal box that can completely outpace any landborne mammal...that's probably option one. And most vehicles are very durable and capable of sustaining more damage than a single unarmed human can generate. Even the windows.

It sounds like OP did nothing illegal and probably acted in the realm of self defense. Lots of dudes probably wish they could do the same. Slapping some jerk around is probably something many men consider to be immensely satisfying.

Consequently, that's probably why women live longer than men

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I appreciate this thread. For Christmas I purchased myself and my girls each a can of spray. I have carried a sabre red in my pocket for years and its due to be replaced. I purchased an additional with intentions of showing them how to use it and the distance it can be deployed and the effects of wind etc. I hate to admit I have not gotten around to it. I look forward to following the above links and sharing that info as well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I appreciate this thread. For Christmas I purchased myself and my girls each a can of spray. I have carried a sabre red in my pocket for years and its due to be replaced. I purchased an additional with intentions of showing them how to use it and the distance it can be deployed and the effects of wind etc. I hate to admit I have not gotten around to it. I look forward to following the above links and sharing that info as well.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sabre-Pepper-.../dp/B00AEKFOVG

Way better than accidentally spraying yourself or your loved ones.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Sabre-Pepper-.../dp/B00AEKFOVG

Way better than accidentally spraying yourself or your loved ones.
    They're cheaper than the actual units too which is nice, and you can keep the extra OC as backup. You never know when you might lose one, or have to go through security and throw one away. I think setting up a USPSA target can be good, or if you put on some eye pro and do some scenarios you can tie in some basic MUC, decision making and pepper spray deployment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    Navin Johnson saw what you did there....
    What truly surprises me is that I make a one liner about a 40+ year old, cheesy late 70s movie and so many people know exactly what I am referring to..

PF truly delivers!

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post

Sort of the same,

I gave my oldest girl a pocket size can of spray, as well as a big can of bear spray for her car, and for when she house-sits. Then I explained to her my mantra of "One Can-One Man".

If that does not work, she is free to hose them with lead from her cowboy action .45s

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    My satisfaction was not high and in fact I am embarrassed.
    I'm not in any position to judge anyone, but that sentence would be the concern for me.

Get in fistfights or don't, that's not my call and to be honest I never minded getting in fights when I was young and in some contexts I think it's good for you, so I don't have a problem with that.

But if you're doing stuff you feel dumb about afterwards, that I would say is an indicator that you want to give some thought to your decision making process.

I haven't been in a fistfight in ten years, I don't think, but the last one I recall was dangerous and a stupid idea and I had a great time and didn't regret it at all.

IMO doing dumb dangerous stuff is not compatible with the whole "it's about safety" attitude that sensible people espouse, so either don't do that shit, OR embrace your inner lunatic. But either way, act in a manner consistent with your worldview.

Sorry, I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, I'm just saying that either path is fine, but don't do stuff that you yourself think is a mistake.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    What truly surprises me is that I make a one liner about a 40+ year old, cheesy late 70s movie and so many people know exactly what I am referring to..

PF truly delivers!
    Im guilty of Navin quotes.

Cashier: "Did you find everything you were looking for?" "This is all I need....this, and this...." Once in a while somebody gets it.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List