Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Got in a fight on the way home from work; too old for this; perhaps pepper spray?

Sabre OC Spray and Training

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post

Can anyone recommend training opportunities for pepper spray in the LA area? Does anyone have a particular brand they recommend from 1st hand use? I realize that I could order some from Amazon (using the PF link) point and push, but I would prefer to get some knowledge about legality and effectiveness. I am pretty much starting from zero.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Hello Matt,
    Someone already listed Sabre brand pepper spray. It works pretty well, and I used it personally and been sprayed with it in training. The effects lasted for several hours. There's a
    LE and non-law enforcement versions. As someone already stated oc spray doesn't work 100%, but it's an option and it can be more difficult for an assailant to attack you if they can't see. One last thing, when deployed up close it usually gets on you too.

If by LA you mean Los Angeles, most Law Enforcement Academies offer courses to non-sworn individuals. Ben Clark Training Center or Riverside County Sheriff's Department Academy offers pepper spray training.

Avoiding a fight is usually the best option, but sometimes you have to deal with a problem rather than avoid it.

Lots of good stuff to reflect on so far.

Not sure whether LA is Los Angeles or Louisiana, but my recommendations are:

POM for the actual spray. Sabre Mk6 as a second choice.

For instruction, Chuck Haggard, John Murphy, or Greg Ellifritz. I have trained with all of them and they are all top notch.

I struggle to consistently carry spray, which is my own fault and failure, but I think pepper spray is best viewed as a tool to gain distance and time.

I can respect what you did, although it would likely not have been my choice. You made a judgement call based on your experience and abilities and it was a good outcome. Good on you.

User Tag List