Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got in a fight on the way home from work; too old for this; perhaps pepper spray?

Got in a fight on the way home from work; too old for this; perhaps pepper spray?

Long story short, I was in a line to buy In-N-Out near a can recycling business. The line temporarily blocked a gentleman from entering the recycling area and he went nuts. He got out of his car and started shouting profanities, hitting cars, and trying to open car doors. As he approached my truck I got out, took him to the ground, punched him a couple times in the head, and held him for the police. In my state, there is no law so he will be immediately released with a ticket. At least they towed his car and his behavior is documented.

On the way home I had a couple of thoughts. First of all I am too old for this type of behavior. Although I keep myself in good shape I am sore from hitting the pavement. Second of all, no more Double/Doubles from that location. It is located near a homeless encampment in the wrong part of town. I got lazy because it was on the way home and paid the price. Thirdly, and why I am posting, I think I need to learn about pepper spray.

Can anyone recommend training opportunities for pepper spray in the LA area? Does anyone have a particular brand they recommend from 1st hand use? I realize that I could order some from Amazon (using the PF link) point and push, but I would prefer to get some knowledge about legality and effectiveness. I am pretty much starting from zero.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I am torn between wanting to chastise you and wanting to buy you a beer.

I’ll let the experts weigh in on pepper spray, save to note that it’s probably a good idea, and I got mine from an Amazon link provided by Greg Ellifritz last time: POM, here:

https://www.amazon.com/POM-1-44-Stre...NrPXRydWU&th=1

Never had to use it, myself.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I'm sure your personal satisfaction was high and he deserved it. On the other hand, getting out of you vehicle and engaging was a seriously stupid move. You need training in how to make mature decisions, not pepper spray.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I couldnt find the post @TotemPolar referenced but I did find this.

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...-how-to-use-it
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Never get out of the boat...seriously..I understand your dilemma, but you could face civil liability as well as criminal prosecution.

On the other hand, you can’t asses skill level. MMA and BJJ trained people are pretty much everywhere nowadays. It could have ended differently.
    I’m glad one of us (PF’rs) is okay. Please be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I'm sure your personal satisfaction was high and he deserved it. On the other hand, getting out of you vehicle and engaging was a seriously stupid move. You need training in how to make mature decisions, not pepper spray.
    You never know what someone is angry about. In regards to the guy trying to get to the recycling center, he could have really just hated those cans!

My satisfaction was not high and in fact I am embarrassed. That is kind of why I was looking for some suggestions. The man set off a panic in the parking area and vehicles attempting to flee were dodging through pedestrians. My truck was the next to be confronted and since I inched forward to allow him to pass behind, I locked myself in and could not move. Many, many bad decision and actions on my part.

I work in a very large inner city school and am used to profanity, students fighting, parents fighting, students and parents fighting, etc. I normally do not get excited. I think looking at the chaos in the parking lot and being the next person in line for harassment or whatever I did what I thought would stop the problem. On the way home I thought maybe if I could have rolled down the window and pepper sprayed the person it would have given me a different option.

Ultimately thinking more about my location and how to avoid situations like this is probably the best solution. I think I have become too comfortable in the neighborhoods surrounding my school. Anyways no pride in what happened, just trying to sort it out and keep it from happening again.

Between the potentials for injury, diseases, dirty needles, knives and worse of all liability attorneys you probably should have stayed in the truck. But I wasn’t there and my quarterbacking skills aren’t good after midnight on Sunday.

I taught Cap-Stun, we issued it, the guys hosed a pile of assholes over the years. What I learned both from using it myself and debriefing guys who used it was
    1) it works great on dogs.
    2) It’s iffy on humans.
    3) The drunker / stupider the human the less it works.
    4) Once you get the suspect in the car they smell bad and cry a lot.

From personal experience if you and your partner simultaneously hose a large construction worker who is threatening his family with a metal flashlight during a mental breakdown and resisting arrest you will clear out the house of family, your backup, and the cat. Said large construction worker will ask you to get the cuffs on quicker so we can get out of the house too.

Like any other pain compliance tool the intended test subject needs to be able to feel pain.

You got in a fight over In n Out? You could be their spokesdude.

Good job. You stopped an idiot who could have hurt someone. Life is tough. I think you did good. Learn from the mistakes that got you in the situation and move on with your head high.

User Tag List