Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large dot vs small dot and why

Large dot vs small dot and why

There are differences in opinion about the ideal size dot in a pistol mounted optic. What do you like and why?

I like a 5-6 moa dot for carry and competition. The larger dot allows me to turn it down more, and be target focused, while still quickly being able to find the dot. The larger dot seems to wiggle less. Auto seems to work better for me with larger dots.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    There are differences in opinion about the ideal size dot in a pistol mounted optic. What do you like and why?

I like a 5-6 moa dot for carry and competition. The larger dot allows me to turn it down more, and be target focused, while still quickly being able to find the dot. The larger dot seems to wiggle less. Auto seems to work better for me with larger dots.
    Carrying the discussion over from the other thread:

As I have improved my proficiency with the RDS over the past few years, I have gravitated to smaller RDS dot sizes.

For target focused shooting, as the RDS demands when used properly, you can see more of the target with the smaller dot, while gaining greater precision for longer shots (for example, 25 yards to the ocular zone on a Gunsite option target under time pressure) without having to make a brightness adjustment.

I feel that the larger dot is still a good solution for starting out (because of the lower amount of apparent “wiggle”). However, once you have done the work to attain proficiency with the RDS, there are distinct advantages to the smaller dot, in my personal experience.

In addition, I have found that that the smaller dot encourages target focus more than a larger dot, with no need for brightness adjustments.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I think I'm the only person who ever says this but I really liked the Eotech-style 65/1 on my Shield. I don't think they do it anymore but it was insanely fast, and precise when you wanted it to be.

If I could have any configuration at all it's be something like a 30 MOA ring and 1MOA dot, though...I think you could use the ring even better if it were a little smaller than 65.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Hammertime

I was sad to learn the 509T I just bought is 2MOA or 32MOA. I guess I will leave the big donut on for carry. I like the form factor otherwise.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I was sad to learn the 509T I just bought is 2MOA or 32MOA. I guess I will leave the big donut on for carry. I like the form factor otherwise.
    Not to distract from the broader discussion but man, what a missed opportunity for Holosun. If it was both at once, that reticle would be LETHAL on a pistol.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    Not to distract from the broader discussion but man, what a missed opportunity for Holosun. If it was both at once, that reticle would be LETHAL on a pistol.
    I mis stated that. It is both at once when the circle is on. Circle-dot or just dot in other words.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    As I have improved my proficiency with the RDS over the past few years, I have gravitated to smaller RDS dot sizes.

I feel that the larger dot is still a good solution for starting out (because of the lower amount of apparent “wiggle”). However, once you have done the work to attain proficiency with the RDS, there are distinct advantages to the smaller dot, in my personal experience.
    While we're awaiting his response (or lack thereof), it's probably appropriate to observe that not many people would question George's proficiency like that.

I had posted on this subject before so there's nothing new to add. I've shot everything between 2 and 8 moa dots, and I started with smaller dots for both games and carry. I strongly prefer 5-6 moa dots for both, based on observed results and on dot-related issues that required mitigation.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I prefer a 5-6 MOA dot just as described by George. For me, with a dot of that size, it's very easy to be quite confident that the dot is going to "be there" when the pistol is presented from the holster. But the field of view is not cluttered with other "stuff".

Not going to have to look for it. It's there. I can focus on the precise location on the target that I want the bullet to strike.

And I also believe the ability to more "finely tune" the dot's intensity is simpler with a 5-6 MOA dot vs. a 2-3 MOA dot, just as mentioned by George.

I am far, far from George's ability with a pistol (dot or otherwise), but even with the gaping difference in skill levels, I see and value the same attributes of a 5-6 MOA dot that he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    While we're awaiting his response (or lack thereof), it's probably appropriate to observe that not many people would question George's proficiency like that.
    Let me state unequivocally that my comment was in no way intended to question GJM’s proficiency or experience. I am fully and personally aware of his qualifications as a shooter. In the last match we both participated in he finished in the top 5 of 200 shooters, while I was only in the top 25%.

It was a general observation regarding the subject. Full stop.

Your comment is most certainly not appropriate in the context of this discussion, and does not contribute to the topic.
    Last edited by Archer1440; 02-05-2021 at 01:08 PM.

User Tag List