Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Special Forces pulls P320s from service after soldier injured by misfire

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Early Glocks with the black internals were not drop safe. There were multiple incidents of dropped Glocks going off prior to Glock failing the drop testing portion of the DEA’s pistol testing in the early 90s.

This triggered the infamous Glock “it’s an upgrade not a recall.” In which the black internals were swapped for nickel / silver plated parts.
    Do you recall what dimensional changes were made? I know that it included the striker and the triggerbar/cruciform, but was it more than that? And, aside from the finish, how were the parts different?

Site Supporter
    The link to TOS has pics, and a page taken from an armorer's manual. If you can't/won't look at ARF.com I will see if I dig out my manual and upload an image.

pat

I have no doubt that they will eventually work this out. And it’s true that Beretta had issues in the early 80s that were pretty quickly resolved. Glock actually had quite a few problems over time but they have fixed all those too. I just don’t see why they adopted this beta model gun that doesn’t do anything special. I guess it was probably just money but I have suspicions. Especially how the selection sort of came out of the blue right as the Trump admin came in. I suspect guys from the old guard had made a deal but when trump won they had to rush the deal to make sure various retirement packages were secured. Just me being paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    You'd win. When I tracked it, roughly 1/3 of all unintended discharges resulting in injury or death were due to improper clearing and then a trigger pull to break down the pistol. Reversing the clearing steps (running the slide THEN dropping the magazine) was prevalent, as was dropping the mag but forgetting to run the slide.
    I've never owned a Glock but I think this was mostly the problem from my reading. Mag drop on some pistols (not Glock) disables the firing pin. That's an added safety feature. But again, I've never owned a stiker or miniature dog of any sort.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-06-2021 at 02:53 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Sad.

I think one of the main difference with Sig p320’s and Glocks, M&P’s, and H&K’s is the modularity of the trigger assembly to the different frames.

I think that it has added untraveled waters to what has been a common design for 30+ years now.

It’s clever, but I wonder if it plays any factor here.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Getting back to the original story, there appears to be multiple things happening:

1) Striker block (safeties) are failing/breaking causing the loss of the drop safety.

2) The pistol being used with an incorrect holster; however, SIG could not duplicate the issue using the same pistol and holster that was part of the incident.

3) The possibility that the "nut behind the trigger", SF or not, shot himself. Combined with the wrong holster being used, this seems more likely.

4) The pistols were pulled from service due to a loss of drop safety; however, SIG says the drop safety, the new one on the M17/M18, has no issues.

Does that sum up the issue to date?

I guess it comes down to which one you would rather shoot yourself with, a Glock or a Sig.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I have no doubt that they will eventually work this out. And it’s true that Beretta had issues in the early 80s that were pretty quickly resolved. Glock actually had quite a few problems over time but they have fixed all those too. I just don’t see why they adopted this beta model gun that doesn’t do anything special. I guess it was probably just money but I have suspicions. Especially how the selection sort of came out of the blue right as the Trump admin came in. I suspect guys from the old guard had made a deal but when trump won they had to rush the deal to make sure various retirement packages were secured. Just me being paranoid.
    What issues did Beretta have in the early 80s ?

Are you referring to the M9 slide breakages ? Because those were late 80s, only involved 14 guns and were a defective materials issue. So not similar to he Glock or 320 situation.

https://www.gao.gov/products/T-NSIAD-88-46

Regardless of what you think of how the MHS selection was made, and it was likely price, the MHS program did not come out of the blue. Trump or no Trump the DOD was getting new handguns to replace M9s which had been rebuilt multiple times over 30 years of service / 20 years of war.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-06-2021 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Getting back to the original story, there appears to be multiple things happening:

1) Striker block (safeties) are failing/breaking causing the loss of the drop safety.

2) The pistol being used with an incorrect holster; however, SIG could not duplicate the issue using the same pistol and holster that was part of the incident.

3) The possibility that the "nut behind the trigger", SF or not, shot himself. Combined with the wrong holster being used, this seems more likely.

4) The pistols were pulled from service due to a loss of drop safety; however, SIG says the drop safety, the new one on the M17/M18, has no issues.

Does that sum up the issue to date?
    I chose #3 .

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Especially how the selection sort of came out of the blue right as the Trump admin came in. I suspect guys from the old guard had made a deal but when trump won they had to rush the deal to make sure various retirement packages were secured. Just me being paranoid.
    Yes, I remember Trump saying that the Sig P320 was a "beautiful gun that will make a super duper choice for America's next service pistol."

User Tag List