Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Special Forces pulls P320s from service after soldier injured by misfire

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Sig won the MHS contract exclusively on price per unit. Think about that for a minute - Sig underbid Glock while promising to produce a pistol with double the parts and an extremely more complicated assembly process. Sig is in the business of making money - they're banking on the press from the MHS to bring LE and civilian buyers into the fold. "Well, the Army tested this thing and selected it..."
    I have an alternate theory as to why the Army had to go with something other than Glock. When GEN Milley was FORSCOM CG, he made a comment that he could solve the handgun situation just by buying Glock 19s with a GPC. Then the Modular Handgun System goes for testing after GEN Milley becam Chief of Staff. So his previous comments would make selecting the Glock look like GEN Milley had influenced the process unduly, and probably would have resulted in lawsuits by all the other submitting companies.

It's hard for the average citizen to understand how unimportant handguns are to Big Army. Below boots, MREs, and sleeping bags in terms of winning ground wars. GEN Milley's original point was that the Army had already wasted too much time and money on a very irrelevant piece of gear, and should just go with the simplest decent solution: the Glock 19, which was already in procurement channels for some USSOCCOM elements.

I have no inside baseball, just a hunch with how it all played out.

Jon

The distributor, M.D. Charlton, posted this on Canadian Gun Nutz:
    https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...OFCOM-Incident

I had posted that SIG wouldn't be able to go to their usual PR playbook in responding to this incident, but they proved me wrong...they managed to find a way to blame Glock.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Copy Glock, pay a few million for whatever infringement of that design, then soldier on.
    For what infringement? You might have to back up a few generations to get to expired patents and you might have to fudge the appearance to avoid "trade dress" complaints, but just build them. There are several low volume high dollar fake Glock builders already.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

That SIG presser is incorrect. Four of the five US military branches have adopted the M17/18. The USCG is fielding Gen 5 G19s.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Canada did not issue the 1911 previously.

Can't "go back" to what you don't have......not to mention it'd be a terrible idea.

Though, I do think it'd be hilarious if some motivators in the USMC command ranks referenced this (among all the other P320 issues) as a reason to halt procurement of the M18 and expand M45A1 procurement to rearm the entire fleet. That would be amaze-balls, and such a USMC moto thing to do that I can almost see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    I believe the M17/18 will be the shortest lived service pistol in US Military history, and the acquisition will go down as one of the greatest debacles in weapons procurement ever.
    Never happen. That would require the Army to admit they were wrong and that they didn't complete the trials or adequately test the entrants. Can't have that in today's zero defect military. They'll keep them limping along.

Handguns mean next to nothing to the big picture bean counters. These are the same people that issued aftermarket check mate mags for the M9s in the middle of a shooting war.

On the contrary, I'd bet that not only do they keep the M17, they'll also adopt the sig ngsw entrants to replace the m4 and m249.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by VT1032; 02-05-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Sig P320:

Glock:

Perhaps.

...but it will take Sig years to get sued as much as Glock has been for unintentional discharges of their weapons.

Glock's staggering number of issues over the years never seem to get as much press as issues with their competitors in the market place.

This incident reminds us margin for error drops considerably when one goes from a pistol with a DA trigger to one that has a factory trigger that is shorter and lighter than a lot of 1911 triggers out of the box.
    3/15/2016

Vending Machine Operator
    Casually polishes 2013 Beretta 92 that has never shot me in the leg.

How 'bout that.

Best wishes for a fast recovery to the JTF-2 soldier.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Perhaps.

...but it will take Sig years to get sued as much as Glock has been for unintentional discharges of their weapons.

Glock's staggering number of issues over the years never seem to get as much press as issues with their competitors in the market place.

This incident reminds us margin for error drops considerably when one goes from a pistol with a DA trigger to one that has a factory trigger that is shorter and lighter than a lot of 1911 triggers out of the box.

Are the Glock sure incidents related to QC and design issues, or their light and short trigger? I’m genuinely asking, not trying to sound sarcastic.

User Tag List