Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Canadian Special Forces pulls P320s from service after soldier injured by misfire

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    We have scheduled a Sig 320 Armorers course in a couple of weeks.....based on some very recent discussions, I'm going to have some very specific and pointed questions about the design. Maybe my sentimental fantasy of finishing my career like it started, with a S&W on my hip, will come to pass after all....

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that SIG significantly underbid Glock. This is from the GAO response to Glock's protest (which is somewhat interesting if bureaucratic reading).

Will problems with the M17/18 amount to $100M worth of problems?
    There's an art to writing a bid. If you know the system really, really well you can have some ideas of the weaknesses and you can exploit the bureaucratic process to make it look like your option is significantly cheaper while in reality it isn't.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    There's an art to writing a bid. If you know the system really, really well you can have some ideas of the weaknesses and you can exploit the bureaucratic process to make it look like your option is significantly cheaper while in reality it isn't.
    No argument from me (I'm not unfamiliar with federal procurements), though Glock is hardly a newcomer to negotiating government contracts. From what I understand, Glock made errors of their own during this process. I'm certain the SIG is not as cheap for the government as originally depicted, notwithstanding any future fixes. However, with nearly 300,000 pistols delivered and $100M in ostensible price difference (even if this number is a flawed starting point), I think SIG will have a lot of runway from government procurement managers to attempt to fix any problems before contract cancellations or replacements are seriously contemplated.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 02-28-2021 at 01:16 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List