Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Special Forces pulls P320s from service after soldier injured by misfire

Site Supporter
    Ruger should release their version of the P250.

After the inevitable recall, it should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    There is no trigger that is operator proof.

There are just trigger arrangements that offer a greater margin for error than others.

The Sigs I've handled lately are flat out disturbing. Their "Scorpion" is exemplar. That thing is essentially a 1911 with no safeties.

The M17 at least has a manual safety, even if it doesn't do anything but block the trigger.

There will be consequences that result from this proliferation of fully cocked striker fired pistols with short, light trigger presses.
    Walther PPQ ?

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    There will be consequences that result from this proliferation of fully cocked striker fired pistols with short, light trigger presses.
    Especially with the huge amount of first-time gun owners. I guess the bean counters overruled the in-house counsel.

It does seem like we are seeing another transition from longer, safer trigger (no more LEM) pulls to short, light ones. Combined with an ammo shortage and the possibility of a magazine capacity limit, the 1911 appears to be the 2021 P-F pistol of the year.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    It makes a difference because when most shooters who ND and injure themselves do so is when they are holstering.
    Point of order, that may be true on the range but is not true in the wider world of gun ownership. Intentional trigger pulls thinking the gun was empty vastly outweighed holstering incidents for those who injured themselves or others with an unintended discharge. Obviously trigger weight, length, etc. is irrelevant to stopping that sort of thing. The silver lining, so to speak, was the injuries also tended to be some of the least serious. The off hand was the most common body part struck, which obviously sucks but is rarely life threatening.

Holstering incidents certainly occurred, and especially with appendix carry the resulting injuries were often much more serious. Joe Gunowner has a better chance of a fatal outcome with a holstering mishap but a much greater chance of injury overall through careless administrative handling and/or general fuckery.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    The requirement to press the trigger before disassembling one of the most popular options on the market didn't help that any.
    3/15/2016

I'd wager that the vast majority of ND's involve people who don't even own a holster.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I'd wager that the vast majority of ND's involve people who don't even own a holster.
    I'll have to dig out my spreadsheets, but I did track holstered vs unholstered for those who discharged the gun while on their person but not for administrative/general fuckery discharges. Going from memory, holsterless pocket carry, often with other stuff in the pocket, was a fairly frequent flyer. Holsterless appendix and grabbing at a shifting gun was a less frequent one but one that had a high chance of life altering/ending injury. One guy was on his cell phone with his girlfriend and was looking for something under his car seat and apparently grabbed the gun as it shifted so it wouldn't fall out. He blasted himself, told her he was going to drive himself to the hospital, and bled out almost immediately with her still on the phone.

Back on topic, I have it on good authority the issue is the gun. Not the holster, not the soldier, but the gun itself and something repeatable and endemic to the design. I suspect that more information will become public at some point, but this is not that point. I've said what I can say without betraying a trust, so take it or leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Holsterless appendix
    Just reading that induced shivers and an involuntary sphincter clench. Upon further reflection, is it a bad thing for the gene pool if someone who thinks that's a good idea ends up being precluded from procreation?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Back on topic, I have it on good authority the issue is the gun. Not the holster, not the soldier, but the gun itself and something repeatable and endemic to the design. I suspect that more information will become public at some point, but this is not that point. I've said what I can say without betraying a trust, so take it or leave it.
    Well, that'll sure be interesting if it turns out to be true. I am hearing the exact opposite but the guys I am hearing it from weren't there and aren't on the team anymore, so it's just the rumour mill of those guys that I'm getting, not anything official. And it's hard to filter out the biases of these guys, no matter how experienced they are.

For sure if it turns out to be the gun, that'll be interesting for a whole pile of reasons.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List