Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever found a set of grips that are perfect?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    @03RN and @NPV, have you ordered new Herrett's grips recently, or are you finding them used? Googling suggests that they closed in early 2020, though their 2004 website is still up. That could be wrong though - it's hard to find much.
    I ordered the medallion grips from an online vendor. Herrett made the factory Colt medallion grips so finding a set new or used it pretty easy. I don’t have any without the medallion so I can’t answer to that but eBay usually has a few sets.

Full checkered walnuts with the colt medallion from Nutmeg are great. Grippy and comfortable.

but the BEST? Those were grips that Larry Vickers supplied on my Colt. They were handmade by Hogue, and signed on the back. The profile just felt right. Hogue had flattened out the radius in the middle of the grip slightly, before checkering them. When I sent the gun back to Larry for more work, he called as soon as he got the pistol, to see where the grips were. I had put them away for safe keeping, and had a generic set on for the journey.

The best set of grips I've ever purchased were a set of Raasco Dymondwood double diamond 1911 grips. The checkering on it is so fine and perfect that not having a checkered front strap isn't a detriment...the grips make up for it. I didn't know what I had until I tried to buy a few more sets some years later, and Raasco had closed up shop by then. The only things that would be better is if someone replicated these, in Dymondwood, with a full checkered panel instead of a double diamond format...I've always preferred full panel checkering. I've got a handful of old (supposedly) GI full checkered walnut panels which are great, but aren't checkered as sharp or as nicely as the Raasco ones.

I don't know if there's a material out there as good as Dymondwood for grips...I've been off-and-on-again looking for a set similar to what Raasco made but haven't really been able to find something like what I'm looking for.

Name:  IMG_0262-edited.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  94.2 KB

@03RN and @NPV, have you ordered new Herrett's grips recently, or are you finding them used? Googling suggests that they closed in early 2020, though their 2004 website is still up. That could be wrong though - it's hard to find much.
    Found them on ebay

Good to know, I'll prioritize getting a set soon, before what is presumably new old stock dries up.

Call Herretts, they’re on Mountain time. I talked with Robin there a few weeks ago when she took my order on made to measure grips.

Best for me (I can easily palm a basketball)

Best stock grip I have on a metal pistol- SIG P229 Legion SAO.
    Best aftermarket grip I have on a metal pistol- Hogue Piranha G10 for P226 SAO Elite.
    Best stock polymer pistol grip- HK P30

Pachmayr grips on a Browning Hi Power fit my hands perfectly. Like they're custom made.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    The best set of grips I've ever purchased were a set of Raasco Dymondwood double diamond 1911 grips.
    I also have a pair of Raasco 1911 double-diamonds (though in walnut) with what I consider above-average checkering, and they are almost too nice to use. They have sort of spoiled me...
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I love it when I buy a set of grips that are perfect. I can tell right away.

Berettas get wilson thin grips
    Revolvers get Ahrends, square butt k frames are ok with vzs but not round butt, at least not with a lot of magnums.

1911s get full checkered wood grips that are thinnish but still support the plunger tube. Those are typically not easy to find. I had been eyeballing some and finally ordered a set of herretts. Thinner than most wood grips and full checkering. Perfect.
    Attachment 67077
    Attachment 67078
    Attachment 67080
    I have changed to thins for the 1911.
    These are white cocobola. Name:  20210125_151020.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  26.7 KB

And just recently, a set of half checkered white cocobolas, shaped for when I get the damn thing bobbed.
    Name:  20210309_151544.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  44.0 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List