Thread: 3D printed mag sleeves (side conversation split out)

3D printed mag sleeves (side conversation split out)

(SIDE TOPIC MADE INTO NEW THREAD - MODERATOR)

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Tell me about the magazine in the photo... if you don’t mind.
    It is a standard 12 round USPc/p2000 mag with a spacer sleeve on it. I was looking at buying an x grip spacer, but at $15 apiece and having near 20 mags, that is getting expensive. My son does 3D printing, so he down loaded a sleeve for a p30 mag, and the. Started to modify it to fit the P2000 to SK set up.

Name:  BCE702F2-E05E-48C2-97EB-C171E13F5A91.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  78.2 KB

This is a picture of the prototype he made after modification. It still had some gaps, so I took this pic so he knew what to modify. Once we got the dimensions down, I had him add the HK logo on one side an P2000sk on the other so I would know what they went to if for some reason I took them off the mags. It takes a couple of hours to print one, but he has multiple 3D printers now, and uses them to make extra money during the pandemic. Apparently, he gets all kinds of strange request to make custom items... like the guy who wanted a section of the Death Star molded and printed to fin in his aquarium. He emailed me because someone wanted him to make a Glock frame... had to give him the big NO phone call before he stepped into an ATF bear trap.

Here it is with the 12 round mag and 3D print sleeve, and the standard 9 round mag in the gun. If I were to carry it ankle, the 9 round works well, but AIWB, the 12 really does not add enough bulk to worry about.

Name:  C1AB9B4A-9C80-472F-961A-B9A614DF4113.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  74.8 KB
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 03-13-2021 at 03:20 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    It is a standard 12 round USPc/p2000 mag with a spacer sleeve on it. I was looking at buying an x grip spacer, but at $15 apiece and having near 20 mags, that is getting expensive. My son does 3D printing, so he down loaded a sleeve for a p30 mag, and the. Started to modify it to fit the P2000 to SK set up.

Name:  BCE702F2-E05E-48C2-97EB-C171E13F5A91.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  78.2 KB

This is a picture of the prototype he made after modification. It still had some gaps, so I took this pic so he knew what to modify. Once we got the dimensions down, I had him add the HK logo on one side an P2000sk on the other so I would know what they went to if for some reason I took them off the mags. It takes a couple of hours to print one, but he has multiple 3D printers now, and uses them to make extra money during the pandemic. Apparently, he gets all kinds of strange request to make custom items... like the guy who wanted a section of the Death Star molded and printed to fin in his aquarium. He emailed me because someone wanted him to make a Glock frame... had to give him the big NO phone call before he stepped into an ATF bear trap.

Here it is with the 12 round mag and 3D print sleeve, and the standard 9 round mag in the gun. If I were to carry it ankle, the 9 round works well, but AIWB, the 12 really does not add enough bulk to worry about.

Name:  C1AB9B4A-9C80-472F-961A-B9A614DF4113.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  74.8 KB
    That’s a pretty slick setup.
    I’m always interested in ways to use higher capacity mags in relatively small guns.
    Either to give more to hold on to, or to have a reload on hand with more capacity in case the day takes a really bad turn.
    It’s cool that your son can make those, and the HK emblem is a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    That’s a pretty slick setup.
    I’m always interested in ways to use higher capacity mags in relatively small guns.
    Either to give more to hold on to, or to have a reload on hand with more capacity in case the day takes a really bad turn.
    It’s cool that your son can make those, and the HK emblem is a nice touch.
    He made me a few for the P320 as well, to fit full size mags into a sub compact frame. The Glock has a great over insertion notch built into the mag, but on the HK and P320, you can over insert if you don’t have the sleeve.

If you need an P2000sk sleeve, PM me and I will get him to bang out a couple, just cover shipping.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=Gadfly;1196241]He made me a few for the P320 as well, to fit full size mags into a sub compact frame. The Glock has a great over insertion notch built into the mag, but on the HK and P320, you can over insert if you don’t have the sleeve.

Love the mag spacer and good job to your son! Investing the time with CAD/3D printing would be a cool approach to making a set of specialized LEM tools for spring and parts installation, like the trigger return spring, leaf spring, and the elbow spring / cocking piece combination...and lining up the hammer catch, control lever and disconnector. Well, pretty much all the parts, I guess.

Most of those are tricky without a frame stand, three hands and a magnifying glass. I would almost consider donating a P30 for the development of a P30/P2000/USP multitool.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm using X-Grip spacers and the new 17-round P30 mags in my USPc 9mm. One of the engineers at work who is a gun guy got a 3D printer. I should work up a file for my "ideal" spacer that minimizes printing, etc.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'm using X-Grip spacers and the new 17-round P30 mags in my USPc 9mm. One of the engineers at work who is a gun guy got a 3D printer. I should work up a file for my "ideal" spacer that minimizes printing, etc.
    There is a “p30 to SK” spacer on line for free. It was the starting point for the lUSPc to SK” print I have.
    Just google it. In the pic you can see the test fit pics I was texting to my son as he sent me parts. The spacer was too long to allow my compact mags to seat in the sub compact.

MODS, sorry for the thread drift.

Name:  7B378318-E171-4919-BA90-6D0A6A4603AA.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  36.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    There is a “p30 to SK” spacer on line for free. It was the starting point for the lUSPc to SK” print I have.
    Just google it. In the pic you can see the test fit pics I was texting to my son as he sent me parts. The spacer was too long to allow my compact mags to seat in the sub compact.

MODS, sorry for the thread drift.

Name:  7B378318-E171-4919-BA90-6D0A6A4603AA.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  36.2 KB
    Can't speak for shit mods, but this is one of the best thread drifts in awhile. Maybe we can break it out into it's own thread on 3D Printed Accessories? @BehindBlueI's

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Can't speak for shit mods, but this is one of the best thread drifts in awhile. Maybe we can break it out into it's own thread on 3D Printed Accessories? @BehindBlueI's
    Done.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Now I wish I knew anything about 3D printing so I could contribute to the thread.

I am going to try and work with my sone to print a few things. A P320 frame, a Glock possibly... just for experimenting. But I don’t know how to use the cad software. I just tell him where I want tweaks and he does the actual work.

A few years back I had a spare 10/22 stock and barrel I got on a trade, and ended up selling off. Now I wish I had held on, as a 10/22 receiver looks stupid simple to print.

User Tag List