Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Front sight visibility in various lighting conditions - 2021 edition

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I don't remember the consensus of Mr. White's post, but I think I may have been in the minority preferring the white over the yellow or red. I guess my eyes are just different.
    My personal experience is similar. I've given up completely on red/orange contrast rings, because in any kind of dim light, they just about disappear. Yellow Ameriglos are much better for my eyes, and, honestly, in all but the dimmest of light, a good old fashioned white ring around the front tritium "pops" the best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    My personal experience is similar. I've given up completely on red/orange contrast rings, because in any kind of dim light, they just about disappear. Yellow Ameriglos are much better for my eyes, and, honestly, in all but the dimmest of light, a good old fashioned white ring around the front tritium "pops" the best for me.
    Harrison on front sights

Scroll down to the section on gold beads and white dots.

Personally, and in my environment, green FOs, gold beads and white dots (as in stock Glock and HK front sights) show up the best for most hours of the day (not all).

Harrison doesn't seem to be selling his white dots made from pure white synthetic rod on his website anymore. I remember them sticking out a little like the gold bead sights that he sells nowadays and it looked like a good concept.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Harrison on front sights

Scroll down to the section on gold beads and white dots.

Personally, and in my environment, green FOs, gold beads and white dots (as in stock Glock and HK front sights) show up the best for most hours of the day (not all).

Harrison doesn't seem to be selling his white dots made from pure white synthetic rod on his website anymore. I remember them sticking out a little like the gold bead sights that he sells nowadays and it looked like a good concept.
    Interestingly, the only white outline tritium I have right now are Harrisons on a couple of 1911s, and those are the sights that seem to be working best across a variety of lighting conditions for me.

Eric,
    Thanks loads, great work.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Interestingly, the only white outline tritium I have right now are Harrisons on a couple of 1911s, and those are the sights that seem to be working best across a variety of lighting conditions for me.
    The sights that come with the G19X (I "sharpied" the rear), which are white outline tritium, show up better in a variety of lighting conditions, for me, than the HDs (also with "sharpied" rear) on my G19.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

In terms of Tritium visibility, I was browsing MB-Microtecs. They are the OEM for most of the worlds Tritium products (vials used in Sights, Watches, etc)

https://trigalight.com/tactical/

I came across this interesting model; a Tritium insert with a Convex sapphire lens to double the brightness of the vial compared to a standard flat sapphire lens as used in most Tritium sights.

I'm curious if any of the Sight manufacturers have caught onto this new model, and if any of the current sights are using this convex feature. A brighter tritium sight would be awesome.

Great work! Thanks!

The yellow T-CAP is really impressive in low light, but washes out against a light background. The yellow ring seems to work better in those conditions because there’s more black around it.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    In terms of Tritium visibility, I was browsing MB-Microtecs. They are the OEM for most of the worlds Tritium products (vials used in Sights, Watches, etc)

https://trigalight.com/tactical/

I came across this interesting model; a Tritium insert with a Convex sapphire lens to double the brightness of the vial compared to a standard flat sapphire lens as used in most Tritium sights.

I'm curious if any of the Sight manufacturers have caught onto this new model, and if any of the current sights are using this convex feature. A brighter tritium sight would be awesome.
    I believe Night Fision and their Glow Dome offering would be similar. And now according to thier site, they say all sights feature domed lenses.
    Taking a break from social media.

Front sight visibility in various lighting conditions - 2021 edition

As I age, I find the simplicity of a handheld flashlight and good fiber optic front sight the cleanest and easiest all-around solution for me. Still exploring the red dot world, but liking that too.

Having recently installed a green Hi Viz FO on my little snubbie revolver, I’m wondering why I only messed with red. Green is where it’s at for me.

This is a great comparison. I’m liking the larger fiber size on the Wilson set, but no doubt the Dawson is brilliant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I believe Night Fision and their Glow Dome offering would be similar. And now according to thier site, they say all sights feature domed lenses.
    Great find, thank you. It does seem like they are employing a similar sapphire lens concept to increase perceived brigthness:

I'm curious whether that lens actually does result in a brighter tritium sight.

User Tag List