Thread: Pipes for Someone Who Likes Restoring Them

Pipes for Someone Who Likes Restoring Them

I've loved pipe smoking since I discovered it in college, though these days, now that I'm out of school, I don't indulge nearly as often as I used to. I was really into finding and restoring estate pipes (I only own one that I bought new). These are six that a law school friend gave me, but I never got around to working on them, and at this point I'm not going to - I have more than enough others for as seldom as I smoke.

These are free for anyone who is into restoring finds like this. I have no idea if there's even one person here interested, so instead of drawing names, let's just go with first person to PM me with an address gets them.

None are anything special, and I make no guarantees as to how well any of them would turn out, but if there happens to be someone here who enjoys restoring pipes, better that they go to that person than get tossed in my next move. Two some significant stem damage, and three are "meerschaum lined," if you're familiar with that.

Info on each pipe, moving left to right as pictured:

1. Markings: Bradberry, Imported Briar, Meerschaum. Has a "sitter" flat underside. Stem has some nicks and dents.
    2. Markings: Kaywoodie, Relief Meerschaum, 11. Also flat underside. Missing a good chunk of the stem at the bottom side lip.
    3. Manufacturer markings are hard to make out - looks like "[Illegible] Royal." Then "Imported Briar." Has what looks like a top hat logo on the stem. This is the third meerschaum-lined one.
    4. Markings: Yello-Bole, Cured With Real Honey, Premier, Imported Briar
    5. Markings: Monterey, Italian Bruyere. Also flat underside. This one unfortunately is the one with stem damage - the bottom at the lip has a wedge of material missing.
    6. Markings: Puffs, Imported Briar
    Name:  IMG_0102.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  100.0 KB
    Last edited by Elwin; 02-04-2021 at 06:19 PM.

Site Supporter
    I'm in the same boat as you as far as having (way!) more pipes than I need, including many vintage ones. Although I can't in good conscience raise my hand for the pipes, cheers from a fellow enthusiast and I hope they go to someone who will enjoy them.

Fortunately someone else jumped on them, so it looks like they get a good home. Which is perfect - battered and unremarkable as they may be, pipes are something I’d hate to toss.

Just for future reference, how does one restore a pipe? It's not like I don't have too many hobbies as it is but I'm intrigued...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List