Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Small town problems--whether to bother with training

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    Actually, if I had a choice between BJJ and boxing, I would definitely pick boxing. (Whether that's right or wrong.) But there's no boxing gym here, either.
    Got it. Well, does your area have a program where knowledgeable police officers take kids off the street and teach them (among other things) boxing? I think it's sometimes called a Police Athletic League. Perhaps the coach would teach you privately.

Or is there a recently discharged Marine or two around? Probably other services have a good unarmed program as well, but the only one I have personal knowledge of is the Marine program. Maybe a USMC recruiter could introduce you.

Talk to the management at your local VFW. Any disreputable bars? A bouncer might be willing to teach you.

Good luck.

Ignore the double tap, please.

Once again, thanks to everyone! This thread is what I hoped for and what I feared. Lots of well-reasoned arguments both for and against, but also some great suggestions that wouldn't have occurred to me like doing private lessons or trying to put together a local training group. Tons of great stuff for me to work on. Much appreciated!

Regarding some of the class suggestions--I am registered for ECQC next month. I definitely have my eye on Cecil Burch's classes, though I can't get to the upcoming ones that John Murphy is hosting. And I've already done a few unarmed self defense classes with local trainers. What I find is that without consistent practice, etc, I don't really retain the skills, so I need consistent practice. Not exactly a deep insight there, I know.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Talk to the management at your local VFW. Any disreputable bars? A bouncer might be willing to teach you.
    Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure my county only just passed an ordinance allowing restaurants to serve mixed drinks about 3 or 4 years ago. We haven't had any time to develop disreputable bars yet!
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    Once again, thanks to everyone! This thread is what I hoped for and what I feared. Lots of well-reasoned arguments both for and against, but also some great suggestions that wouldn't have occurred to me like doing private lessons or trying to put together a local training group. Tons of great stuff for me to work on. Much appreciated!

Regarding some of the class suggestions--I am registered for ECQC next month. I definitely have my eye on Cecil Burch's classes, though I can't get to the upcoming ones that John Murphy is hosting. And I've already done a few unarmed self defense classes with local trainers. What I find is that without consistent practice, etc, I don't really retain the skills, so I need consistent practice. Not exactly a deep insight there, I know.
    If your already enrolled in ECQC, then wait to make any decisions like signing a membership until after that. I think you will have a better perspective on how to proceed after. I’m sure it’s changed a lot since I attended but some of this will likely be covered. It will also provide a chance to ask SN direct questions about your options.

Look into the local gyms...you might find a hidden gem. Many Kareteka have cross trained in BJJ and other grappling arts.

Also, check Gracie Combatives...there are individuals who are certified and train out of their garages. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankinCA View Post
    Look into the local gyms...you might find a hidden gem. Many Kareteka have cross trained in BJJ and other grappling arts.

Also, check Gracie Combatives...there are individuals who are certified and train out of their garages. Good luck.
    You might also just ask around and see if anyone wants to train. As the last year of quarantine has shown me, 12 months of garage work with a blue belt is still a lot better than no training at all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    You might also just ask around and see if anyone wants to train. As the last year of quarantine has shown me, 12 months of garage work with a blue belt is still a lot better than no training at all.
    Just ask some of the white belts I've been training with who have been submitting me lol

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FrankinCA View Post

Kind of like the 2nd degree who is a purple belt with a couple of strips? Who wrestled in high school and trained with pro kick boxer for a couple of years, teaching out of the back of a gym? Yeah, those guys don't exist. And I don't know their grappling dummy with a similar background.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
    I’m of the opinion that some training can indeed be more detrimental than none. There are a lot of different styles of Karate, but I would recommend staying clear of most of them, if the goal is developing practical H2H skills. Shotokan was my first style and I spent many years studying it. Karate-Do systems like Shotokan will ingrain many bad habits that can be very difficult to unlearn once established. Chambering punches at the hip(often labeled “hikite”) for example is something I’d definitely never drill. They may have their roots in reasonably effective self-defense systems, but actual fighting skills became a secondary concern during the development of modern karate.

Shotokan is very much a case of generally misapplying what were mostly contact techniques(from Okinawan methods)inappropriately at longer ranges. It’s why the kata aren’t understood, the kihon make little sense and the kumite has little in common with the other two K’s. There are definitely some useful elements that can be derived from it, but it will be very difficult for a beginner to sort through it all and discern what’s useful. There are simply much better uses of time IMO.

Just my opinion, no offense to anyone.
    Kyokushin veteran here. I always wondered (but only vaguely), why what we did for most of class, looked nothing like what we did when we sparred. Fortunately we did do a lot of hard sparring so I was able to learn what worked and what didn't to some extent, but there was always that weird disconnect.

User Tag List