Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Small town problems--whether to bother with training

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Regular boxing gets passed over more than I think it should.
    Good boxing gyms are less common than BJJ Gyms.

Site Supporter
    Tae Kwon-Do Black belt here. I agree with everything that Blues and Totem Polar said. As far as effectiveness goes, it's hard to beat BJJ. However, training in any martial art can give you valuable lessons beyond being able to defend yourself.

Being able to stay calm and perform under stress is another added benefit that can be learned from any martial art. You will probably find your ability to concentrate will improve.

Look for a school that is more concerned with teaching the art than winning trophies in tournaments or looking to sign you up for a "Black Belt" contract like a gym membership. The schools that lean more towards the traditional side tend to be better quality.

If it's Tae Kwon-Do you are considering, feel free to PM me with any questions.

I’m of the opinion that some training can indeed be more detrimental than none. There are a lot of different styles of Karate, but I would recommend staying clear of most of them, if the goal is developing practical H2H skills. Shotokan was my first style and I spent many years studying it. Karate-Do systems like Shotokan will ingrain many bad habits that can be very difficult to unlearn once established. Chambering punches at the hip(often labeled “hikite”) for example is something I’d definitely never drill. They may have their roots in reasonably effective self-defense systems, but actual fighting skills became a secondary concern during the development of modern karate.

Shotokan is very much a case of generally misapplying what were mostly contact techniques(from Okinawan methods)inappropriately at longer ranges. It’s why the kata aren’t understood, the kihon make little sense and the kumite has little in common with the other two K’s. There are definitely some useful elements that can be derived from it, but it will be very difficult for a beginner to sort through it all and discern what’s useful. There are simply much better uses of time IMO.

Just my opinion, no offense to anyone.

Keep your eyes open for Judo clubs. They're often small, and much less expense than BJJ.

Keep on eye on Craigs list and other local message boards for somebody offering private lessons. I did some Kali this way, one-on-one with a guy with a legit pedigree. And a boxer I know, with a good golden gloves record, does private lessons too.

Hell, I would be amazed if there wasn't a BJJ blue belt or purple belt somewhere nearby who just wants someone to train with. Post an advertisement.

Karate can be incredibly good or really lame, depending on the school. I spent some time in a dojo that focused on point fighting, and it helped my timing and accuracy. But I already had a couple years of boxing under my belt.

Personally, I wouldn’t spend the time and money on a TMA like Karate or TKD if my goal was self defense. Even if there are still such a thing as “serious” fight oriented TMA gyms, how likely is it that the ones in your remote location fit that description? If so how would you even judge that?

I know the guys making those recommendations are well intentioned and sincerely trying to help you, but it seems to me that the rise of the various MMA disciplines in popularity has led to the demise of a large percentage of the adult TMA programs, while kids after school programs and such are still prevalent.

I trained Muay Thai in a competition gym for 6 years before switching to BJJ full time because the repetitive nature of the daily training was taking a toll on my joints.

We had many guys there who came to us as high level competitive TMA black belts. All of them still loved their TMA and none of them regretted the physical skill, body control, and fitness they gained through it, but I never saw one walk in off the street and do well in sparring. That’s a hard lesson to swallow after spending 6-15 years and many thousands of dollars learning to fight.

My recommendation is to spend your excess time and energy working on your other “Batman” skills and keep looking for an opportunity to get into boxing, MT, bjj, wrestling etc. How is your general fitness? Have you considered taking up power lifting? What about medical skills? Driving? F.A.S.T time? etc.

Maybe even look into a foundational seminar like the ones Cecil puts on. You could probably travel to one of his classes for less than the cost of a TMA gym membership.

Just my opinion from a different perspective. Worth exactly what you paid for it.

Good luck.

Let me offer a perspective that has not yet been addressed - the small town problem. Having grown up in a small town, a mental image of the facilities immediately came to mind. If you are driving by the Karate and Tae Kwon Do dojos and wondering which one, I suggest going in and looking at both. A simple inspection of their facilities may make your decision very easy, at least very easy in elimination.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Let me offer a perspective that has not yet been addressed - the small town problem. Having grown up in a small town, a mental image of the facilities immediately came to mind. If you are driving by the Karate and Tae Kwon Do dojos and wondering which one, I suggest going in and looking at both. A simple inspection of their facilities may make your decision very easy, at least very easy in elimination.
    We only have one dojo (that I'm aware of) near where I live. (Somewhat rural, western NC). I wouldn't even set foot in the place from the ramshackle / unkempt look from the outside. Too bad, really.

To the OP, I hope you find something that will serve your needs.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

You may be better off finding a regional seminar, grabbing a buddy, attending together, and then training in a garage/basement for sustainment. https://shivworks.com/course/ecqc-north-carolina-21/

Hammertime
    You need a friend and a commitment to showing up, watching the videos and drilling. I had both for a while and found the instruction much better than what I received at a local BJJ gym. If I had stayed with it through their basic class with a partner I have no doubt I could have transitioned into a regular BJJ gym with no difficulty.

https://www.gracieuniversity.com/

User Tag List