Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The new Nissan Frontier looks pretty good

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    That right there is my ultimate goal. I don’t really care about the latest and greatest gadgets every five years as I keep my vehicles for a long time. The much lower base price of the Nissan appeals to me far more than the innovative body style of the the Tacoma or Ranger. If the truck will last me 15-30 years without having to invest a lot to keep it running that’s more important to me as I’m buying so rarely anyways.
    To be clear, the sensors that people had problems with (I experienced this once myself) were not sensors that powered bells and whistles, but things like sensors for engine timing. When it started to fail, you had some time to deal with it (a few days, in my experience), but it would not run when it finally went. It was not super expensive to fix, but it wasn't a superfluous part. I don't consider it a major problem, in 6 years of ownership it was the only non-scheduled maintenance I did, but I want to be clear.

My 2012 Xterra was not massively more advanced than my 1996 Geo Prism. It had a limited slip differential, power windows, and cruise control over the Geo, technology-wise, but those are obviously not special.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    To be clear, the sensors that people had problems with (I experienced this once myself) were not sensors that powered bells and whistles, but things like sensors for engine timing. When it started to fail, you had some time to deal with it (a few days, in my experience), but it would not run when it finally went. It was not super expensive to fix, but it wasn't a superfluous part. I don't consider it a major problem, in 6 years of ownership it was the only non-scheduled maintenance I did, but I want to be clear.

My 2012 Xterra was not massively more advanced than my 1996 Geo Prism. It had a limited slip differential, power windows, and cruise control over the Geo, technology-wise, but those are obviously not special.
    Sensors seem to be a long standing weak point across many manufacturers. Thanks for the clarification.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yeah, I don’t get buying a Ranger over a new or slightly used F150.
    In sub-urban enviros for daily use a smaller than full sized PU is quite handy for 90%+ of what one needs to do. I.E. think parking and maneuvering.

Most are not going to own several trucks for their needs. So one must choose.

If I owned two trucks I would have a Ridgeline (most practical roomiest and best driving for daily use unless you want the image of off road guy who goes on gravel roads occasionally) and a 2500 gasser for real truck stuff.

My brother has a small PU for daily stuff and a V-8 box van for hauling and towing shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    In sub-urban enviros for daily use a smaller than full sized PU is quite handy for 90%+ of what one needs to do. I.E. think parking and maneuvering.

Most are not going to own several trucks for their needs. So one must choose.

If I owned two trucks I would have a Ridgeline (most practical roomiest and best driving for daily use unless you want the image of off road guy who goes on gravel roads occasionally) and a 2500 gasser for real truck stuff.

My brother has a small PU for daily stuff and a V-8 box van for hauling and towing shit.
    I don’t disagree, given your premise; but I’m happy in that I can maneuver and park my F150 at work and home easily.
    #RESIST

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yeah, I don’t get buying a Ranger over a new or slightly used F150.
    The Ranger exists because of the global market and is kind of an afterthought to Ford for the US. A few folks who need a smaller footprint will buy them, but Ford sells roughly 10 full size F-series trucks for every Ranger. That's true not just for Ford. Ram doesn't even offer a Dakota any longer. Full sized trucks have gotten so tech'd out with fuel efficiency adding gizmos (start/stop, active grill shutters, multi-displacement systems, turbos, etc.) that there's little to no fuel efficiency gains in the smaller trucks these days, especially on the highway. Prices aren't too far apart. Unless you need the smaller footprint, there's no compelling reason for the smaller truck...and even small trucks aren't really small any longer.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

If it doesn't have a manual transfer case and live hubs or manual hubs then they can park it where the sun don't shine. I'll keep driving my 30 year old rusted out shitboxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The Ranger exists because of the global market and is kind of an afterthought to Ford for the US. A few folks who need a smaller footprint will buy them, but Ford sells roughly 10 full size F-series trucks for every Ranger. That's true not just for Ford. Ram doesn't even offer a Dakota any longer. Full sized trucks have gotten so tech'd out with fuel efficiency adding gizmos (start/stop, active grill shutters, multi-displacement systems, turbos, etc.) that there's little to no fuel efficiency gains in the smaller trucks these days, especially on the highway. Prices aren't too far apart. Unless you need the smaller footprint, there's no compelling reason for the smaller truck...and even small trucks aren't really small any longer.
    Turbos and shutters are awesome, I wouldn’t own a truck without them and their awe inspiring torque curve
    #RESIST

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Full sized trucks have gotten so tech'd out with fuel efficiency adding gizmos (start/stop, active grill shutters, multi-displacement systems, turbos, etc.) that there's little to no fuel efficiency gains in the smaller trucks these days, especially on the highway.
    My favorite of these new technologies is GM's AFM, which is so fuel efficient that eventually seizes your engine, effectively preventing the truck from ever consuming fuel ever again

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    My favorite of these new technologies is GM's AFM, which is so fuel efficient that eventually seizes your engine, effectively preventing the truck from ever consuming fuel ever again
    My wife complained once that my 60-year old British car wasn't very "safe". I politely pointed out that because it is British, it doesn't run. A car that cannot move is literally the safest car out there.

If you really want to eliminate traffic accidents...just keep traffic from happening. Very easy solution.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    My wife complained once that my 60-year old British car wasn't very "safe". I politely pointed out that because it is British, it doesn't run. A car that cannot move is literally the safest car out there.

If you really want to eliminate traffic accidents...just keep traffic from happening. Very easy solution.
    I hate that your avatar is not mine

User Tag List