Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wax Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    In 'No Second Place Winner' by Bill Jordan, when he wasn't advocating planting alibi guns, he had an extensive section on Wax Bullets, which he used for the majority of his training. Details were provided on how to make them and how to practice best with them.

Bill could hit an asprin tablet from 5 paces, quick drawing from the hip, with a wax bullet.

He even had a special electric target for practicing indoors with his wax bullets. As I recall, a timer would activate a 'clown nose' red light in the siloutes head, indicating the time to draw and fire.

Begin page 82:
    https://archive.org/details/No_Secon...e/n81/mode/2up

I've often though that Wax Bullets would be ideal for training using the ultralight pistols like the 340, as the lack of recoil would allow a otherwise impossible level of practice (few would be willing to bang out 200+ a day .38's out of an 11oz revolver.)
    What would Jordan think of airsoft, UTM, Sims, and cool-fire trainers, I can only wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Ya'll are crazy... Wasting perfectly good primers on f'n WAX BULLETS?!
    I have 1K shotgun primers that I bought just for these (I think I paid 25ish bucks for them).

Wax bullets used to be big business for training back when primers were a penny a piece or so. I have one of the old Pacific (pre-Hornady) wax bullet loading tools, it's really very well designed for the task. I'll see if I have any pics of it. It's still around here somewhere, so it wouldn't be a problem to get pics if I don't already have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    What would Jordan think of airsoft, UTM, Sims, and cool-fire trainers, I can only wonder...
    He'd probably love them if he could find a training partner willing to be shot over and over by his 0.27 second hip fire draw.

Jelly Bryce was another shockingly fast hand who would have been crushing training partners with Simunitions:

In 1945 Life magazine did a photographic study of Bryce dropping a coin, drawing, firing and hitting the coin before it passed his waist. Experts determined Bryce was able to draw and make that incredible shot in two fifths of a second.

We used to make bullets out of hot glue in a bullet mold. There is also this, foam earplugs...https://youtu.be/luoW2M23rg8

User Tag List