Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Which Ready Position is Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    I'm really glad this came up, because as a very new shooter, I'm trying to get a complete picture of the process of a defensive shooting, and this discussion has helped with that.

I'm sure this has been discussed at some point, but I probably haven't seen it yet, but how do ready positions interact with trigger finger placement?

From what I have gathered so far, low ready and everything leading up to low ready would require a finger specifically off the trigger. But is the decision to point a gun at something the same as the decision to put your finger on the trigger, or are their other factors that might cause you to do one and not the other?

Put another way, if my barrel is averted, and then I see something that I decide requires a shot, is my shot process "align barrel -> place finger on trigger -> pull trigger" or is it "align barrel while placing finger on trigger -> pull trigger"?

Apologies if this has been covered and I just missed it.
    I teach Rule 2 as, "Never point your weapon at anything you don't want to shoot;" and Rule 3 as "Keep your finger off the trigger until you've made the conscious decision to fire." Using your question above, if you are averting your muzzle away from something you don't want to shoot, and circumstances change in that you've made the conscious decision that you DO need to shoot that target, getting on the trigger as you move your muzzle is appropriate; as you've already made the conscious decision to shoot (or you wouldn't be moving the muzzle to cover the target).

That is a VERY nuanced discussion of something that is going to happen in fractions of a second in a very stressful and dynamic setting. It is certainly something that is under-emphasized in most training - as is having a HARD finger index off the trigger. The two rules compliment each other - if you've got a hard index off the trigger, and unintentionally muzzle something you don't want to/need to, you're still OK (unless you're carrying a P320 ). If you "trigger check" your pistol under stress, and it discharges, and you're FIRMLY enforcing Rule 2, you'll be embarrassed, and potentially in trouble for discharging a firearm, but nothing important would be hit. The problem comes in when someone violates both rules, and the unintended loud noise leads to injury/death.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Ed Flosi has written an article(s) about a similar ready position that have been on Police1.
    Thank you.

High-risk encounters: Muzzle position and presentation to the target
    https://www.police1.com/officer-safe...86scHGq83lGLS/

User Tag List