Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Ready Position is Right?

My take on ready positing, carbine or handgun, is that after awhile you find out that you don’t really need or use any kata-style named holds. You are just familiar enough with your hardware and gear that you simply out the gun in a position you need it to be in at that moment while maintaining optimal muzzle direction.

I say “optimal muzzle direction” because frankly there a may be times times you are going to need to sweep things that you would otherwise rather not.

If we are taking about people just getting started, teaching a few basic ready positions can help get them to that point of spatial awareness with a gun. Personally I don’t think I’d be teaching those people anything regarding putting a pistol into close context with their head.

Oh, and for the record, I hosted Hack something like ten years ago. One of the worst classes of my training career. I’m sure things haven’t improved.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Some dude put together this piece on ready positions.

I will add that in testing in multiple class sessions, starting with the hand on the holstered pistol takes about .5 off of the draw. An added advantage is that for the concealed carrier, getting a sneaky grip on the pistol with the support hand ready to clear gives a person a faster draw stroke, but it also keeps everything covered.
    Side note, this is one of the many things I like about AIWB.

Deep dive into the Ready Position from Mike Pannone.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJbvShbA-Kq/

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post

Thanks for this. His method of keeping two hands on the gun is something I've never seen or considered. Very interesting.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    My take on ready positing, carbine or handgun, is that after awhile you find out that you don’t really need or use any kata-style named holds. You are just familiar enough with your hardware and gear that you simply out the gun in a position you need it to be in at that moment while maintaining optimal muzzle direction.
    Yes. Over the years, I've shifted from teaching specifically constructed ready positions to an extreme awareness of muzzle direction in changing environments. The trouble has been that you have to start somewhere, teach something, and call it something. And some have to anchor it into a course doc.

That said, there is a lot of value in a strong, depressed ready with muzzle ~45 degrees to the ground as the default go-to position.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Thanks for this. His method of keeping two hands on the gun is something I've never seen or considered. Very interesting.
    Yes it is. I have been trying it out a bit with dry fire and maneuvering.
    May be the way I am going to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Yes. Over the years, I've shifted from teaching specifically constructed ready positions to an extreme awareness of muzzle direction in changing environments. The trouble has been that you have to start somewhere, teach something, and call it something. And some have to anchor it into a course doc.

That said, there is a lot of value in a strong, depressed ready with muzzle ~45 degrees to the ground as the default go-to position.
    When it comes to having to instruct, and then having to instruct institutionally (which is different than having to instruction for entertrainment), for sure there's a lot to consider.

I think that's the challenge with a video like Hackathorn's in the original post. Who is the target audience? In this case, IMO, it's "nobody" because it's got good point but also bad points for just about anyone.

I've taught shooting to volunteers/customers. I've never taught shooting institutionally. But, I am responsible for the training program for something like 200 people in my company, so I can imagine what institutional firearms instruction must look like. and know that I want no part of it!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post

not that Mike would ever care (or anyone else, for that matter), but I find very little there that I'd disagree with and got some new thoughts from his descriptions.

best quote of the vid "doesn't matter for me, 'cause I only got one friggin eye".

second best...
    • stability
    • mobility
    • situational awareness

God, I can apply those concepts to my professional world that has nothing to do with guns, or physicality in any way.

Site Supporter
    Very interesting video that makes a lot of sense.

I've never been entirely comfortable with the Centrifuge Training temple index. While I haven't attended their training, I suspect their temple index may be based on dismounting police cruisers where you hopefully don't have possible threats sitting next to you on felony stops. Pannone's training seems based on aircraft defense and recovery where the officer is likely to encounter threats and victims. Pannone''s technique seems applicable over a wider range of circumstances than Centrifuge. Does anyone see any downsides to Pannone's technique?

I will remark that position sul was not intended to be a ready position. That said, various people and organizations treat it as such so good that Pannone addresses it.

Pannones technique is just fine unless you're using a very short gun.

At first it seemed counterintuitive to be getting my hand that close to the muzzle, and fingers wanted to find their way into the triggerguard, but with training, as with most things, it becomes a non-issue.

I've been training with it, and it is an useful technique in some situations.

I think the ultimate evolution is that the right technique is whichever one best fits the circumstances you happen to be in. As said above, it's more about extreme muzzle awareness, and control of the weapon, than anything else.

So the right technique is whatever's best for that moment in time, I think.

User Tag List