Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow Systems DR920

Got a shipping notice from CHPWS. My Shadow Systems to Holosun 509T adapter plate is ready to ship.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I received my DR920 back from Shadow Systems on Thursday this past week. They said they replaced the barrel and they replaced the frame.

The barrel looked identical and had the same wear pattern and fitment as the original. The frame rails measured .898" front and rear on my calipers, per Shadow Systems, it was .900". SS said they test fired it at 6, 10 and 15 yards and it had produced "great groups", but I would disagree.

The frame is better. Still looser than the equivalent Glock, but largely immaterial to accuracy now. However, the barrel as it was returned to me still has the worst lockup of any "Glock-pattern" pistol I've ever seen. You can watch the rear sight raise up as the trigger is pulled and the striker interfaces with the connector, the fit on the bottom locking lug is that poor. The fit between the rear of the barrel hood and the slide was .012" using my feeler gauges. For reference, my recently acquired Gen 5 Glock 17 is .0012", or 10 times tighter....more on that later.

I shot the target below at 15 yards from off of a rest, with a load known to produce ~2"-2.5" 10-round groups at 25 yards consistently in all of my other pistols. In this pistol, discounting the first-round flyer, ~4" at 15 yards for 20 rounds is about the best that can be expected. While I think it could be addressed with a gunsmith fit barrel, I also don't see it as worth the risk and effort, given a satisfactory result is not 100% guaranteed.

So, being done with this 1st-Gen M&P 9mm-like DR920 with respect to accuracy, I paid my stupid tax to move on and traded the Shadow Systems on a Gen 5 Glock 17. Very impressed with the Glock with respect to accuracy so far vs. my stock Gen 4 pistols.

Honestly, I think SS has a lot going for it, I hope someday they put out better quality products.

Name:  IMG-0436.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  37.7 KB

The CEO talks about dedicated closed emitter guns and future availability.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The CEO talks about dedicated closed emitter guns and future availability.

All worthless if they don’t fix their accuracy issues.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    All worthless if they don’t fix their accuracy issues.
    I have not experienced any accuracy issues with mine.

Same with the lone dr920 I had access to for awhile. Actually one of the better shooting guns in my hands.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Are the accuracy issues specific to the DR920? I have the XR920 and MR920 and they have been amazing.

Site Supporter

How old are they? In addition to the accuracy issues raised on PF I’ve seen several examples first hand. AFAIK All the problem guns have been produced within the past year.

Based on your positive reports, and those of others here I was seriously interested in one of the new full size ported /comped models. However their recent production guns seem to have taken a dive off the QC cliff.

I’m less critical of the fact these issues occurred but SS’ response has been unprofessional and unacceptable.

I’m aware of several instances where these guns were shot by competent (in some cases professional) shooters using premium factory ammo to minimize variables before contacting SS. SS’ responses have ranged from you can’t shoot to you are lying.

Until those issues are addressed it doesn’t matter what options they offer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Same with the lone dr920 I had access to for awhile. Actually one of the better shooting guns in my hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Are the accuracy issues specific to the DR920? I have the XR920 and MR920 and they have been amazing.
    How old are y’all’s guns ?

All the problem SS guns I’ve seen first hand have been made within the past year.

Prior to that the only complaints I’d heard were regarding their springs wearing prematurely.

I really like the SS grip but I don’t want to spend that kind of money for a base gun to gut and rebuild.

User Tag List