Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I hope Glock is paying attention

I hope Glock is paying attention

Another modular Glock clone possibly entering the market. If they aren't or haven't been paying attention they might want to start. While modularity isn't the end all be all of the firearms industry, it is obvious manufacturers, and buyer are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiN4wHZKlgI

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

ZRO Delta did something of a similar idea to this, where you could change up the size configuration via pieces. It didn't seem to catch on. It didn't help that the trigger was absolutely atrocious. We had to mark ours down below dealer price to get rid of it (got it during covid when we were just getting anything we could get our hands on).

I know the modular frame/chassis thing is a popular trend right now. I just never really found much use in it. I'm sure some do use it in their every day lives, but to me it seems like more of an advantage in theory than in practice. Once I have a pistol set up the way I want, I don't typically change it. In regards to the Sig 320, to truly change the configuration completely, to me it seems like it makes more financial sense to just get a new gun. I know the P365 series has seen more use of its modularity, but again, for me personally I don't change the pistol once I have it set up how I want, and that's never required a new grip frame/slide/barrel.
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 01-25-2024 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    ZRO Delta did something of a similar idea to this, where you could change up the size configuration via pieces. It didn't seem to catch on. It didn't help that the trigger was absolutely atrocious. We had to mark ours down below dealer price to get rid of it (got it during covid when we were just getting anything we could get our hands on).

I know the modular frame/chassis thing is a popular trend right now. I just never really found much use in it. I'm sure some do use it in their every day lives, but to me it seems like more of an advantage in theory than in practice. Once I have a pistol set up the way I want, I don't typically change it. In regards to the Sig 320, to truly change the configuration completely, to me it seems like it makes more financial sense to just get a new gun. I know the P365 series has seen more use of its modularity, but again, for me personally I don't change the pistol once I have it set up how I want, and that's never required a new grip frame/slide/barrel.
    I agree with you on that. I will say at least for the 320's I own, all got wilson combat grips and it made a world of difference in them.

As far as Glocks go, modularity wouldn't be a big deal if they would revise their ergos, but that is going to require a lot of things to accomplish that, 1st being changing magazine design, and their polymer composition. That's a topic for another thread.

While modularity is more appealing in theory than in practice, it can be a benefit for future changes. Grip modules being the biggest advantage, at least that was the case for me and the 320's. Slides, barrel, and things of that nature aren't really things that can't be done with any pistol for the most part.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Slightly off-topic, but... I've been a "Glock Guy" since 2001. I've bought a bunch of Glocks and recommended Glocks to a whole lot of people. Within the last year or so it has become apparent to me that Glock is getting left behind due to a refusal to innovate (it will be interesting to see if Gatson's demise changes this).

IMHO, what Glock pistols have going for them is a fantastic magazine design that is robust, reliable, durable, inexpensive, and widely available (and the mag is probably the best feature of the the pistol) and a very simple, user-friendly, durable, and reliable trigger system. These two components seem to me to be what defines Glock pistols and what sets them apart from the rest. (All the other features of the Glock (the durability and reliability of the whole platform) is no longer unique among modern plastic semi-auto pistols. Back in the 80's the Glock pistol was a wonder-gat that offered waaaay better reliability, durability, shootability, and ease of maintenance as compared to all other offerings. Today, there exist a whole host of pistols that offer the same high level of reliability, durability, and shoot ability - while also offering better egros and are more friendly from the shooter's (if not a gunsmithing) perspective. IMO, Glock needs to explore a different grip angle and at least offer a flat-faced trigger.

There does not seem to be one Glock-killer on the market, but the semi-auto pistol market as a whole seems to be surpassing Glock. Glock has a lot of market and institutional momentum, but one has to wonder how far that can take them. I'm a good example of this. I am relatively deep on Glock pistols, and way deep on Glock mags. But my last pistol purchase was a Walther. And I keep looking at this 43X I am pretty invested in, in terms of holsters, mags, better sights, and an Apex trigger, and I'm wishing it was a P365 instead. It would sting financially to dump out of my Glocks and all the accoutrement to get into other systems, but the temptation is certainly there. Probably what I will end up doing is holding on to the Glocks as an end-of-the-world outfit, while adding other systems for concealed carry and general use.

It's a little ironic that *now* we see a wide range of firearms being developed around Glock mags. But if Glock isn't careful, they could being relegated to becoming the world's largest makers of mags, not pistols.

So probably none of this is a real news flash for most of you; but I am still coming to grips with this new reality. Gaston really did build a better mousetrap back in the day, but the failure to innovate is going to stagnate the brand. But Glock seems to not be paying attention. Glock and Aimpoint, man....
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Glock's position is usually "Nein, Glock is fine." I don't think they're too interested in modularity, and honestly neither are most buyers. Like AR uppers, it's not that much more to get another lower and just have two whole guns.

I did like that I could swap frames and slides on my 43 and 48. But then you could also just buy a 43X (essentially a 43 slide on 48 frame), which seemed to me the best setup anyway.

I also always wished you could swap 17 and 19 slides. What I really wanted a 17 slide on a 19 frame without chopping a 17 frame to get it... but when Brownells came out with a 19L slide I didn't care enough to actually buy it.

I don't see the modularity thing as a huge deal. Changing a plastic frame so one can use a shorter mag works because the frame is so inexpensive. But once you need to buy a slide and barrel, you may as well just buy another gun. OTOH, I am not real knowledgeable on all the Glock models but a conversation I listened in on at our last match seemed to indicate the 43 and 48 and a couple of the other new models are becoming quite modular. As I tried to follow along what I got was that some of the new frames were actually a little shorter than they used to be. So (my model #s are probably off but..) a 19 length slide will now fit onto a 17 length frame.

Cant say I really care about modularity. Most of the time the product either works for me or doesnt.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Other than locations were firearms ownership is restricted by number or the need to register each individual S/N, I don't see much point to the modularity for an individual buyer. A "fleet" buyer who may need to customize each issued gun upon re-issuing, maybe, I guess.

What "innovation" is there left to do with a basic semi-auto handgun? Make a lighter trigger that's less drop safe isn't really innovation. Adding a bunch of complexity for a slightly smoother trigger feel isn't really innovation. It's just shifting priorities.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Glock is embracing modularity to an extent, meaning the upper parts of the pistols. The Gen 5 19/45/47 and now 49 are all compatible. I'm not sure the reasoning behind this honestly, but it does standardzie things a bit. In other words, all of those uppers will work on a single standardized type frame or FCU.

Only Glock knows what Glock is doing or planning, but what is obvious, is there are alot of competitive options out there. Glock was once all by themselves, and everyone was trying to imitate or copy them. The Glock was a reliable durable high capacity combat firearm you could trust to carry into harms way. Ergonomics wasn't the driving factor for firearms back then. It was capacity, reliability and durability.

In todays world, there are lots of handguns that are reliable, have high capacities, durable, and are far more ergonomic. A lot of folks will go to guns hop looking for a self defense weapon and will make a purchase on just how a weapon feels there in the shop in a static environment. I know Glocks perform for most people when you run them, despite their ergonomic decencies, but that buyer isn't on a range.

You could compare it like this, if you have ever sat in a Dodge Viper, it is extremely uncomfortable, but performance wise it's a beast. The same can be said for the Glock.

Unfortunately Glock is missing out on a lot of buyers because, the P320, VP9, Canik, M&P, (insert brand here) feels better than the Glock.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    Glock is embracing modularity to an extent, meaning the upper parts of the pistols. The Gen 5 19/45/47 and now 49 are all compatible. I'm not sure the reasoning behind this honestly, but it does standardzie things a bit. In other words, all of those uppers will work on a single standardized type frame or FCU.

Only Glock knows what Glock is doing or planning, but what is obvious, is there are alot of competitive options out there. Glock was once all by themselves, and everyone was trying to imitate or copy them. The Glock was a reliable durable high capacity combat firearm you could trust to carry into harms way. Ergonomics wasn't the driving factor for firearms back then. It was capacity, reliability and durability.

In todays world, there are lots of handguns that are reliable, have high capacities, durable, and are far more ergonomic. A lot of folks will go to guns hop looking for a self defense weapon and will make a purchase on just how a weapon feels there in the shop in a static environment. I know Glocks perform for most people when you run them, despite their ergonomic decencies, but that buyer isn't on a range.

You could compare it like this, if you have ever sat in a Dodge Viper, it is extremely uncomfortable, but performance wise it's a beast. The same can be said for the Glock.

Unfortunately Glock is missing out on a lot of buyers because, the P320, VP9, Canik, M&P, (insert brand here) feels better than the Glock.

TXPO
    I found the Viper very comfortable. I'm 5'6" and 195-pounds though...so unlike larger people I fit in sportscars and airplane seats. It also means the general grip and trigger reach of most double stack guns is about 50-50 I can reach it. So, modularity, at least with respect to backstrap and side panels helps.

However, this whole sale modularity of "buying one FCG and reconfiguring it as needed" - simply isn't viable for a carry gun. For a competition gun it is fine.

When I'm thinking about a duty/institutional level arm, some level of fit customizability to a range of users is beneficial. But what difference is it to the institution if they buy 100 each of Glock 17s, 19s, and 26s - Or 100 "FCUs" and then 300 slides, 300 frames, 300 parts kits? Except that in the former case you have 300 functional arms, which can each be shot and tested as functional, then places in service as things are broken, lost, held as evidence. In the latter you have 100 functional guns - which require each one to be reconfigured, then potentially re-zeroed and re-assessed for reliability - since the gun is effectively rebuilt.

It just doesn't make sense.

User Tag List