Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow Systems DR920

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Couple questions for those familiar with these sorta Glocks: I have a 19x with some minor work done (comp, Acro direct mill, trigger, magwell) and was considering getting a G45MOS as a spare, set up fairly similar but in RMR pattern mounting. I came across the DR920 combat, which seems to come with all the stuff I would have done to the G45 anyways and would likely be similarly priced. How much interchangeability exists between a gen 5 and the DR, particularly slides- could I swap top ends between 19x and DR?

The DR920 could probably accept a Gen 5 19/45 slide and barrel. Most of the guts in the Shadow slide are now proprietary but most of the frame parts are Gen 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    The DR920 could probably accept a Gen 5 19/45 slide and barrel. Most of the guts in the Shadow slide are now proprietary but most of the frame parts are Gen 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Couple questions for those familiar with these sorta Glocks: I have a 19x with some minor work done (comp, Acro direct mill, trigger, magwell) and was considering getting a G45MOS as a spare, set up fairly similar but in RMR pattern mounting. I came across the DR920 combat, which seems to come with all the stuff I would have done to the G45 anyways and would likely be similarly priced. How much interchangeability exists between a gen 5 and the DR, particularly slides- could I swap top ends between 19x and DR?
    The DR920 barrel will fit into a Gen 5 pistol and vice versa since these are both essentially long Glock 19 barrels.

The MR918/920 and G19 Gen 4 slide assemblies are also interchangeable and will fit on the DR920 frame. But the DR dust cover is too long and sticks out past the shorter slide. I guess it would certainly function this way but it looks funny.

So two other options come to mind:

Saw the dust cover off and clean up the plastic with a file and some sand paper. This would essentially give the owner a Gucci version of the CBP Glock 47 albeit without the ambi slide release.

Run the short slide assembly with a threaded barrel and attach someone's carry comp. If done correctly this should look good on the frame and yield a comped gun that's no bigger than a G17.

I am actually somewhat surprised Shadow Systems did not shorten the DR920 dust cover right off the bat. The contents are there they just didn't think the line out too well. Either that or launch a comped top end as outlined above. They could easily contour the comp to the slide and frame to give the whole assembly a clean and purposeful look.

For reference here are barrels switch between G5 Glock and DR:

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I put about 300 rounds through my DR920 (with its new barrel) over the last few weeks helping out with NLEFIA's law enforcement red dot class. Not surprisingly, the DR920 continues to work well. The few students who have shot immediately comment or the grip texture and how good it feels.

I'm currently running it with a Holosun HE508T with green reticle, Streamlight TLR-1HL and Blackhawk! T-Series level three holster with 10-8 Performance Safariland adapter plate. I also want to mess around with the Nightstick TWM-30 but this light is not compatible with the Blackhawk! holster. Maybe I'll get one of the new Comp-Tac duty holsters to mess with.

My best friend has more money and desire than skill or ambition, and had been on a buying spree this year. It is great for me to live vicariously through his impulse and due to that I'll get to run a dr920 next weekend. Looking forward to it!!
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    My best friend has more money and desire than skill or ambition, and had been on a buying spree this year. It is great for me to live vicariously through his impulse and due to that I'll get to run a dr920 next weekend. Looking forward to it!!
    Nothing revolutionary. Just some good upgrades. Thoughts on spiral flutes and unnecessary slide holes not withstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Nothing revolutionary. Just some good upgrades. Thoughts on spiral flutes and unnecessary slide holes not withstanding.

The thing I'm most interested in seeing is if it answers whether the grip angle is the culprit that causes my wrist issues to flare. Most other guns don't do it and it may be angle but i have a suspicion that maybe thickness high on the tang may play into it as well. The neutral backstrap that was installed from the factory should solve the grip angle side of things. Either way i don't plan on straying back to glock(eque) guns anytime soon but i have to shoot it - for the science!

I am still loving my two and have absolutely no regrets about about them.

I reached out to them to see if they’d sell just the frame. Don’t need or want the whole pistol.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I reached out to them to see if they’d sell just the frame. Don’t need or want the whole pistol.
    Rocket city has some of the mr918 frames. Not sure if/ when they'll get the newer versions or the major differences between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Rocket city has some of the mr918 frames. Not sure if/ when they'll get the newer versions or the major differences between the two.
    I saw those. If they won’t sell a DR frame I’ll probably grab one.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List