Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow Systems DR920

Just got my DR in today and installed my 507c.

Name:  IMG_5515.jpg
Views: 2016
Size:  96.1 KB

One of the things I like about the Shadow Systems optic cut is screw length. It's my understanding that the Shadow Systems screw engages metal all the way down. The left side is the screw intended for my model of 507c, it engages the slide with something like 16 threads.

The screw on the right came out of my direct milled CZ P-09. It only engages the slide with three threads. The optic came with longer screws, but they bottomed out before engaging the optic. I imagine most adapter plate designs have similarly short thread engagement.

I'm not an engineer, but the Shadow Systems design seems more robust than most.

Name:  IMG_5514.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  60.6 KB
    David S.

Mounted. The Ameriglo sights are just the right height for the 507c.

Name:  IMG_5516.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  79.3 KB
    David S.

Two brief range sessions and 215 rounds (115g Blazer Brass) in. I'm optimistic.

The first twenty or so rounds had feeding issues. The rounds didn't want to strip off the magazine. The first box of ammo ejected cases every direction. Then it all seems to clear up and it's running "flawlessly" now with consistent 3 o'clock ejection. The Shadow Systems manual lists a 200ish round "break in period." They reiterate that in on their YT channel, but clarify that most people will see the gun running well sooner. Mine seems to be no exception.

The gun's mechanical accuracy seems very good. Below is a sub 1.5" ten round group shot freestyle at 10 yards with a first round "I wouldn't worry about that little guy" called flyer at 9 o'clock. The remaining group is more like two groups: The upper group is where I called good trigger presses. The lower group were called low shanks. The two group problem trended pretty consistent across all the groups I shot today. Something to work on. I'm looking forward to stretching out to 25 yards.

This gun wants to shoot fast. The trigger is clean for a striker action. As it sits now, I don't feel the need mess with it. The dot seems to track more vertically for me than my CZ's. The dot returns quickly and precisely centered. Despite having ignored "speed mode" for a long time, I was easily able to get sub second draws, 0.17 - 0.20 splits, a couple 2ish second Bill Drills and sub two second Failure Drills from my gamer rig.

I expected the factory neon yellow/green Ameriglo front sight to be a distraction. So far it hasn't been. I'm not sure it that would be different if I was shooting a green instead of red dot optic. Like the gun that I rented, the POI seems to hit high for me. Will keep an eye on it.

Despite the undercut trigger guard, I'm forming a Glock knuckle.

Name:  IMG_5525.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  33.0 KB
    David S.

Sportsman's Warehouse is now a Shadow Systems retailer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

When you think about how much time and money it would take to do trigger, grip and slide mods, the shadow systems pistol is actually a darn good bargain.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    When you think about how much time and money it would take to do trigger, grip and slide mods, the shadow systems pistol is actually a darn good bargain.
    Are the individual parts, like the barrel and trigger, the same quality as if you bought a Gen4 or Gen5 Glock and put a KKM barrel in it or an Apex or Overwatch trigger?

I dig their optic mounting solution and am intrigued by these.
    Last edited by KevH; 03-09-2022 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Are the individual parts, like the barrel and trigger, the same quality as if you bought a Gen4 or Gen5 Glock and put a KKM barrel in it or an Apex or Overwatch trigger?

I dig their optic mounting solution and am intrigued by these.
    I am not sure how to answer this. I am a "how does it shoot" as opposed to "how is it engineered" type person. From a shooter's perspective, the individual parts are excellent, with some novel design features, like the optics mounting system, that are pretty unique. Someone smarter than me will have to speak to the engineering and quality comparison.

The biggest downside with the Shadow pistols for me, is their inability to easily mount a closed emitter optic. Of course I fix that, by dropping a GEN 419 slide on my Shadow lower.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

^^^^^

I completely agree on all points. (I only have 425 rounds of FMJ ammo through my copy)

ETA: The yet to be released Holosun EPS series seems like a possible solution to the closed emitter problem. Once they release the ACRO slide to the general public, I hope they'll start offering those slides. I'm curious if the CHPWS RMR to 509T is thinner than the adapter plate that comes with the 509T.
    Last edited by David S.; 03-10-2022 at 10:49 AM.
    David S.

Tempted to give one of these a whirl. Someone talk me out of it, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    Tempted to give one of these a whirl. Someone talk me out of it, please.
    Do not check Dahlonega Armory for their email pricing then. My quote was about $150-200 off their listed (MAP?) price. $30 shipping to TX. They drop ship from a distributer, but mine was at my FFL within a week of purchase. (I have no affiliation. Just one satisfied purchase) I don't know if SS has special first responder pricing.

I'm 650 rounds into mine and will likely have a MR920 (Glock 19 size) or MR920L (Glock "19L" size) in my hands in a week or so.

IMO, the biggest downsides remain
    - it's not really set up for closed emitter optics, though you could use the 509T RMR adapter plate.
    - No Striker Control Device, though JCS (I think?) posted that he modified his SCD to work, it just doesn't sit flush.

I'm not a hundred percent sure, but it seems like the factory front sight post is a little short. My hits seem at least 6" high at 25 yards. I haven't spent much time with the irons, so it's entirely possible I just suck at shooting.
    David S.

User Tag List