Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow Systems DR920

I got the chance to run it today with an SRO. First outing impressions largely match my initial impressions from handling one at the lgs a few months ago.

Texture is good, undercut is solid, serrations are nice, trigger feels good (actual feel as opposed to characteristics), magwell is large.

I didn't realize the backstrap that comes installed is the neutral aka m&p-ish grip angle, which explains why I liked the variants I handled in the store so much. I didn't try the glock or 1911-ish grip angles but I may in the future just for funs. The optic system is unique and I like it. I was surprised how long the screws were for the sro. Seems well thought out to my non engineer lamen brain.

I had 2 failure to feeds while shooting over 130 rounds. As stated elsewhere, and in the manual, that is within the stated 200 round "break in" period. Seems lame to me but whatever. If I had one and wanted to carry it I would simply start the "vetting" after the first 200 and if there were still issues then I would figure them out then. Could use a different slide release for my taste.

For a holster I used a DSG orion for a 5" m&p which fit well enough, though it was a little deeper than normal and resulted in some middle finger knuckle dragging on the holster body.

As far as shooting goes, I ran it through my standard battery of tests that I use for comparison purposes. I start with my Cold Hit Factor drill(3&2, 3@7,10,15 to an A zone time/points using uspsa minor scoring). Right in the middle of my performance window, scoring a 6.73(my pr is 7.77 and low a 6.11).

Then I follow with the Gabe White standards. My aggregate corrected time was 18.3. For comparison my best agg is 17.57 - turbo agg is 16.6, light 21.5, and dark is 28.2.

Next comes a run of the advanced supertest. A 286 was the result, not counting the 6.45 ot run on the 5 yard string against it because I had to clear a failure to feed(fixed itself after a tap) or it would have been under. That is a touch lower than what I've been putting in as of late (many 290+) but pretty solid historically for me.

Finally I run my modified version of DB's modified LAPD swat qual, using a b8 and 3x5 from the holster scored by the rings and 10 or bust for the 3x5. I finished it with a 290/360, with a miss at 25(-10), a miss at 7 on the 3x5(-10), a miss at 3 on the 3x5(-10), and two OT shots for -10 (one at 5 and one at 3). So aside from those the rings had -20. None of which says anything about the shootability of the gun, just mental errors on my part. I've only cleared the Dobbs standard of 90% twice and both recently with m&p's.

The last shots of the day were a few groups at 25, the first of which was one of the better standing freestyle 25 yard groups i've put down. I posted it in the 25 yard freestyle thread.

For a gun I haven't had any time to get familiar with and didn't have a proper holster for, I think it peformed fine. The 2 ftf's are concerning insofar as I think break in perioid on a plastic striker gun seems a bit much but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now and see how it holds up to my and my shooting partners shooting after 200. The backstrap system, combined with better texture/undercut, and what seems to be a superior mounting system to the mos makes it worth it to me over a stock mos glock, if reliabilty is there as the round count goes up.

Cool gun so far, at least in the honeymoon phase, anyway. I hope the ftf's go away.

Edit - oh yeah the mag release is my favorite of all the gen4/5 releases I've used. Extended far enough that i reliably hit it with minimal movement but no accidental releases. It's great.
    Last edited by backtrail540; 11-07-2021 at 04:40 PM.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Minor update - an additional 150 rounds, no more ftf's. He seems like a happy customer. After a session with my m&p i noticed it took more effort for the same performance but still a cool gun.

@Tokarev

http://instagram.com/p/CWlXO7vLRSX/

They listened, sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post

They listened, sort of.
    Live on the SS website:

https://shadowsystemscorp.com/xr920/

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Glock 19 slide on a 17 frame. Quicker out of the holster and unmatched recoil control.

100% derp.

Quite a few guns already listed on gunbroker.com. Glad to see SS is figuring out the announcement vs availability thing. Nobody likes vaporware.

A recent YouTube review:

https://youtu.be/qsthT0A0fi4

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Shorter (and easier to watch) than the video linked above:

https://youtu.be/VYOojo6_AUM

I think there is a lot to like about the gun. I really like their mounting solution for MRDS. I can't however bring myself to buy a gun without an ambi slide release, as a lefty, now that almost everything has one. (I say that while considering a Stacatto C2)

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I think there is a lot to like about the gun. I really like their mounting solution for MRDS. I can't however bring myself to buy a gun without an ambi slide release, as a lefty, now that almost everything has one. (I say that while considering a Stacatto C2)
    The aftermarket Glock world may be catching up to you. Nomad Defense is now making a Gen5 frame.

Regarding the XR920: they should discontinue the DR920 and rebrand it as the XR920L. Drop the G17 frame from the lineup and then just make the MR and XR frames.

I’ve been messing around with an MR920 combat and a DR920 Elite. Both have standard non threaded barrels. I thought it was my imagination but the DR Elite has a lot more recoil and the sights don’t settle as well as the MR Combat. It’s not unmanageable but it’s a lot more work to shoot quickly and accurately compared to the MR. splits are slower. More likely to throw a shot out of the A zone. I thought maybe it was the recoil spring. Tried the spring out of the MR no difference. Tried a factory Glock RSA out of a G45 and it improved but still not as good. A factory Glock 17 has less recoil than the DR Elite. I don’t really know what to make of the difference. The recoil wouldn’t bother me but the sight rerun on target is really erratic. I would like to shoot a DR Combat to compare.

I bought the Elite used at a good price. Pretty sure I’m going to kick it down the road and keep the MR920. I hate Glock 19’s and don’t shoot them well at all. So far I really like the MR and plan to turn it into a carry gun eventually.

Name:  E6271026-389C-4E67-B5C9-9E5530A699F6.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  48.1 KB
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List