Thread: "Presence" Smartphone App: Remote Video for Dry Practice

"Presence" Smartphone App: Remote Video for Dry Practice

The smartphone app "Presence" can turn your old smart phone into a camera viewable by another device, such as a tablet.

https://www.presencepro.com/

Since I started using a dot to practice with the ammo shortage, I've been setup considerably further away in my Dry Practice area, like 10 yards or more. But I can't easily see the target and would like to know what the dot is doing as I press the trigger, or at least have a better view.

I read about an idea to use an old smartphone as a camera and view it remotely. I found an app called "Presence" which does just that.

I've setup a Smartphone near my Dry Practice target covering the target, and my iPad where I am standing. Using this App, I can get a good view of the target and the reticle when I press the trigger.

To use this, you need a smartphone with a camera, and another iOS device (either iPad or phone) to show the image. Download the Presence app on both. Register for an account, then log in. You need to setup the camera on the device that will be near the image you want to show. Then display the camera on the other device.

Here's what the app looks like on my iPad. "21B64F" is the name of my smartphone.

Name:  IMG_1658.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  27.9 KB

In my case, both devices are on the same home wireless network. I have not tried this "online" with LTE or 4G/4G services but I would imagine it would work there also.

This might be useful at a range or other outdoor shooting session where you want to see the fall of shot without walking all the way to the target.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-04-2021 at 08:09 AM.

If it works purely on cell service, would be very handy as a shot spotter for long range.
    I’ve used baby monitor apps for this sort of thing.

I think for dry fire practice and a dot, probably not useful.

Instead of 10 yards and a target you can’t see, consider 5 yards and a smaller target inside a larger target but really try and stay inside that target.

In USPSA you don’t actually see the scoring marks when you’re farther away, you reference the placement based on relative position of the outline of the whole silhouette.

Also consider turning your dot brightness down if it’s washing out your vision from seeing the target in practice.

Site Supporter
    @RJ

Check out the BaM (bust a move) video delay app also. It’s popular in the archery world and let’s you record for a select amount of time and then automatically plays back the video after a set amount of time. It streamlines using video to review your performance because once it’s set, everything is automatic.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List