Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: Thinking about start reloading

  1. #21
    Lowly Production C-Class olstyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    The other big question is how many rounds do you want to shoot per year and how much time do you have?
    ^
    This.

    I hear someone talking about loading for pistol on a single stage press and immediately think "eeew, that sounds AWFUL," but everybody's expected yearly expenditure of ammunition is different, as is the amount of patience we're each possessed of. If the OP shoots only a modest amount of ammunition and/or is blessed with an extraordinary amount of patience/free time, a single stage may well get the job done.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Why do you want to load hollow points?

    You wonít know if the round will reliably feed for sure until you shoot it. You can do whatís called the plunk test to set your crimp and overall length to help with feeding but until you develop a load you wonít know if it ejects and loads properly.

    The other big question is how many rounds do you want to shoot per year and how much time do you have?
    Because I want to also load for home defense if I get into reloading. I want to load and shoot the ones that actually use for home. If I cannot load hollow point, then it's no point for me to even get into reloading.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    ^
    This.

    I hear someone talking about loading for pistol on a single stage press and immediately think "eeew, that sounds AWFUL," but everybody's expected yearly expenditure of ammunition is different, as is the amount of patience we're each possessed of. If the OP shoots only a modest amount of ammunition and/or is blessed with an extraordinary amount of patience/free time, a single stage may well get the job done.
    I just watched a video of single stage vs progressive, the one thing the guy stress is you can make mistake easier of double charging or no charging with progressive type as you run everything at the same time and particular multiple casing at the same time. Where is you do one bullet at a time and one task at a time. Chances of making mistake is a lot smaller. I don't anticipate myself to shoot a lot, maybe single stage is plenty for me.

    My friend has been using the very basic RCBS for 40 years and shoot 1000rds/mo. He's happy.

    My other question is what kind of powder dispenser to buy and what weight scale to buy? I saw the video where the guy use a cheap Lee dispenser that is only $26 dollars.
    Last edited by Alan0354; 02-04-2021 at 04:24 PM.

  4. #24
    Site Supporter JCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
    Because I want to also load for home defense if I get into reloading. I want to load and shoot the ones that actually use for home. If I cannot load hollow point, then it's no point for me to even get into reloading.
    Reloading is for range ammo. Leave the defensive loads to the experts and only use factory ammo for serious use. Good defensive rounds are tested and vetted extensively. The liability alone of using reloads would steer me away from it.
    SDG

  5. #25
    HAS ELECTROLYTES LittleLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
    I just watched a video of single stage vs progressive, the one thing the guy stress is you can make mistake easier of double charging or no charging with progressive type as you run everything at the same time and particular multiple casing at the same time. Where is you do one bullet at a time and one task at a time. Chances of making mistake is a lot smaller. I don't anticipate myself to shoot a lot, maybe single stage is plenty for me.

    My friend has been using the very basic RCBS for 40 years and shoot 1000rds/mo. He's happy.

    My other question is what kind of powder dispenser to buy and what weight scale to buy? I saw the video where the guy use a cheap Lee dispenser that is only $26 dollars.
    If your friend is actually shooting 1000 reloads a month and making them on a single stage, heís got to be retired or hates family/significant other time.

    Powder dispenser? It depends. Electric? Budget? Any variant of the tried and true 505 scale is going to serve you well.
    #RESIST

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If your friend is actually shooting 1000 reloads a month and making them on a single stage, heís got to be retired or hates family/significant other time.

    Powder dispenser? It depends. Electric? Budget? Any variant of the tried and true 505 scale is going to serve you well.
    Thanks

    He is retired now, but he has been using the same one for 40 years when he was working. Yes, he shoot a lot. I am nothing like him. he kept sending me new video and he's into speed shooting.

    I don't care it's electric or manual on the powder dispenser, it's more important to be accurate. I saw in the video the guy used a Lee, I think it's only $26.

    I am looking at lower price as I don't know how much I will get into. Particular for safety, I really don't want to get the ones that can easily makes mistakes when doing too fast. And cheaper price does help. From looking at the lower end Lee press and dispenser, it's $250 + $30 + the scale you suggested of $70, that's $350 total. How about the dies? I need 9mm, 38special and 45. About how much are those? What else do I need?

    I think the primmer flipping and feeding thing is not too expensive.
    Last edited by Alan0354; 02-04-2021 at 05:43 PM.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Reloading is for range ammo. Leave the defensive loads to the experts and only use factory ammo for serious use. Good defensive rounds are tested and vetted extensively. The liability alone of using reloads would steer me away from it.
    Do they sell Jacketed Hollow point bullet heads for reload? If they don't, reloading does NOT help me. I am not going to shoot a lot with the 9mm, all those are NOT exactly screaming accuracy, they are not going to be a target gun. I mainly need to prove that they are reliable.

    You mean you cannot reload rounds good enough for defense?

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Missouri
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
    Do they sell Jacketed Hollow point bullet heads for reload? If they don't, reloading does NOT help me. I am not going to shoot a lot with the 9mm, all those are NOT exactly screaming accuracy, they are not going to be a target gun. I mainly need to prove that they are reliable.

    You mean you cannot reload rounds good enough for defense?
    Gold Dots & XTP bullets can be purchased, in normal times. Those are just the ones Iíve bought.

  9. #29
    HAS ELECTROLYTES LittleLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
    Thanks

    He is retired now, but he has been using the same one for 40 years when he was working. Yes, he shoot a lot. I am nothing like him. he kept sending me new video and he's into speed shooting.

    I don't care it's electric or manual on the powder dispenser, it's more important to be accurate. I saw in the video the guy used a Lee, I think it's only $26.

    I am looking at lower price as I don't know how much I will get into. Particular for safety, I really don't want to get the ones that can easily makes mistakes when doing too fast. And cheaper price does help. From looking at the lower end Lee press and dispenser, it's $250 + $30 + the scale you suggested of $70, that's $350 total. How about the dies? I need 9mm, 38special and 45. About how much are those? What else do I need?

    I think the primmer flipping and feeding thing is not too expensive.
    You go price some dies and a press, report back on whatís available. These arenít normal times.
    #RESIST

  10. #30
    Lowly Production C-Class olstyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
    You mean you cannot reload rounds good enough for defense?
    Negative. I reloaded several cases (3500+ rounds) worth of hollow points for competition use a few years ago. They work just fine, you can even buy the same bullets the big manufacturers use for SD rounds, and I'm easily as confident in my reloaded rounds going "bang" properly as I am in factory ammo.

    The worry is that the fact that you loaded them yourself could/would come up in court, and then you'd be paying your lawyer to explain/justify that, which would cost you a LOT more money than you'd save by avoiding buying a few boxes of HST/Gold Dot/Critical Duty. I don't think there's a particularly good argument that reloads are actually problematic for self defense use as long as their terminal performance is comparable to the factory stuff (same bullet at the same velocity, etc.) - it's just that having to explain it in court makes your defense more complicated and more costly, because expert witnesses are expensive and good lawyers cost multi-hundred dollars an hour.

    The generally accepted methodology is to load your own for practice and/or competition and buy factory ammo for carry/home defense. Frankly, I don't even worry about trying to duplicate recoil impulse, etc., as I don't think it truly matters all that much. As long as the point of aim/point of impact relationship isn't too far off with your reloads, and you're not loading them super super soft, practice is practice. Hollow point vs truncated cone vs round nose? Who cares as long as it makes the gun go bang and puts holes in paper where you want it to?

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •